Locked or open center diff for drifting in mostly off-road?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StephenSchandelmayer

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Gorgon
  2. Mojave 4s
  3. Outcast 4s
  4. Typhon 6s
Fellas! I have a SRR and my buddy has a SBR and we have a blast with them because they can slide so beautifully and what not. They handle so differently than arrmas so it's great to have them as well. We both already locked the rear diffs which made sliding so much better.

Now we are trying to determine if locking the center would be beneficial or not. Just can't quite wrap my head around it but I feel like it would help. Opinions?

I like how my UDR drifts with a locked rear and open front and center diff. Locking the center will make the front wheel with the least load spin at the same speed as the rear wheels regardless of which tire has the most grip. With a center diff the wheels that have the least amount of grip will spin the most. You can tune the difference in wheel speed by adjusting the differential oil weight. I think the UDR has 1 million weight oil in the center diff which is almost locked.

Fellas! I have a SRR and my buddy has a SBR and we have a blast with them because they can slide so beautifully and what not. They handle so differently than arrmas so it's great to have them as well. We both already locked the rear diffs which made sliding so much better.

Now we are trying to determine if locking the center would be beneficial or not. Just can't quite wrap my head around it but I feel like it would help. Opinions?

CD's help it to not spin out. If you need more slide, go heavier in the CD.

I like how my UDR drifts with a locked rear and open front and center diff. Locking the center will make the front wheel with the least load spin at the same speed as the rear wheels regardless of which tire has the most grip. With a center diff the wheels that have the least amount of grip will spin the most. You can tune the difference in wheel speed by adjusting the differential oil weight. I think the UDR has 1 million weight oil in the center diff which is almost locked.
Just out of curiosity do you have a Mojave as well? Just wondering your opinions on them. My buddy has a Mojave and SBR and UDR is next on his list, they seem pretty sweet
CD's help it to not spin out. If you need more slide, go heavier in the CD.
thats a simple way to put it, I like that. Thank you sir

Just out of curiosity do you have a Mojave as well? Just wondering your opinions on them. My buddy has a Mojave and SBR and UDR is next on his list, they seem pretty sweet

thats a simple way to put it, I like that. Thank you sir

I do not, I bought the UDR because I wanted the realism of IFS and a 4 link in the rear. It drives unlike a conventional RC but it is so cool. IMO it may not be much different than the new SBR

Locked rear and it WILL drift all day long, on demand. :giggle:
Your call. Depends how you want it. When locked however, it will not drive best for technical driving. Driving skill to adapt to it is a given.
You probably know this anyway. Trial and error what works best for you.

Locking the center will make the front wheel with the least load spin at the same speed as the rear wheels regardless of which tire has the most grip. With a center diff the wheels that have the least amount of grip will spin the most.
Excellent description! I’ve been struggling for a while now to understand diffs, oil weights, LSD plates… 🤕 And this info gives it all more clarity! (y)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back