Longest motor can that will fit nero

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lockup1109

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
Whats up guys, my names jeremy, first post here, been building rcs for over a decade, have 100+ mph typhon, and now i picked up a big rock.
I want to install a more powerfull motor, maybe a TP power or poseidon and run 6s with a ~1500kv motor.
Does anyone know what the longest length 42mm can that will fit? I really don't want to take the truck apart again lol. Changed a pinion last night too over an hour. The gear mesh pivot screws were locked so tight I had to torch them to break them free.

Ohh and quick tip the motor mounting holes are only a general guide for mesh, you set your mesh by rotating the transmission up or down, not solely by motor mount hole placement. Some you tube vids I saw suggested you need to only use those motor mount holes, that is NOT how u set the mesh properly Thats why guys were fireballing pinions and spurs lol.
Anyway thanks for the help and there's my contribution lol.

I have a cen 1450 motor that should arrive tomorrow that I intend to put in nero. Ill let you know how it fits. What gearing would you use.

I don't know. Bought it hoping it will fit. Could not find dimensions anywhere. Will poat results. Its at the post office. I have a use if it doesn't fit.

Same seller has them on ebay 68 plus 7 shipping

Gotcha, if it fits can you post the diameter and length measured? I'm thinking a 4280 ish motor is probably the longest that will fit. I may have to pull it apart and take some measurements.

Cen Colossus motor did not fit in Nero. It is about 3 1/4 inches long. The nero motor seems to be about 3, with no room for longer. It is the same diameter. It would probably work in the horizontal chasis style like the Kraton. Did put the cen in Hobao Hyper Cage Truggy. I was a little disapointed in the power so I put it in and the difference was amazing.

Cen Colossus motor did not fit in Nero. It is about 3 1/4 inches long. The nero motor seems to be about 3, with no room for longer. It is the same diameter. It would probably work in the horizontal chasis style like the Kraton. Did put the cen in Hobao Hyper Cage Truggy. I was a little disapointed in the power so I put it in and the difference was amazing.
That sucks. Glad it worked out tho in your truggy. Sounds like the can motor is a 4282 length motor. That the next size up from 4274 stock motor. So that's really disappointing. I wanted to install a 4282 to power but that ain't gonna work. What did it hit to not let it fit?

Upon further investigation, I think it might fit. I got the truggy today and was working on and tuning it. Was a little disappointed in the power. The motor came and when I started to put it in the Nero it looked like it might be tight and possibly hit outside plate. So I put it in the Truggy. It actually measured at about 3 1/4 and 1.5 diameter.
20170227_223510.jpg

Yes, I pulled the bottom skids off my big rock last night to take some measurements w my calipers. The motor at 82mm length depending on pinion size and motor mount hole location may contact the plastic brace near the vertical plate. BUT if the motor is mounted more toward the inside holes, and u adjust mesh via the transmission adjustment screws it will fit. In going to order a TP 4050 and pop it in. The stock motor and esc just don't have the torque I'm looking for in a truck this heavy. My revo with a mm2 and 1515 motor out classes this motors torque throughout the whole rpm range. Even with punch maxed out on the neutered max8 esc. Thanks for the info dude.

Cen Colossus motor installed in nero. Room to spare but tight wedging into place. Be aware bullet connectors are different. Put nero motor and esc in hobao hyper sse, esc from hyper in nero. It is the same as the cen esc
1488558543452-1476586343.jpg

Cen Colossus motor installed in nero. Room to spare but tight wedging into place. Be aware bullet connectors are different. Put nero motor and esc in hobao hyper sse, esc from hyper in nero. It is the same as the cen esc View attachment 8368
You should solder in a capacitor pack on the hyper esc now that its in the nero. Its necessary to protect the esc from voltage ripple which will possibly fry your diff servos from voltage drop and then a surge of power that the bec can not control. I installed my castle 1515 2200kv into the nero with the stock max8 esc. I cut the 6mm bullets off and soldered on 6.5mm bullets. Most motors this size come w 6.5mm bullets so I figured its a better choice than re soldering motors for oddball 6mm bullets lol.
Anyway cool that it fits. I'm assuming its a 4282 size motor. So I'm gonna see if the 1515 gives me the power I'm looking for big not a TP 4050 will be going in next lol. As for the esc, ill be able to see if its the esc that's holding power back now with the 1515 installed, I am very familiar with that motors characteristics. If it feels slow I may just install a MMx into the big rock and sell the stock esc. Thanks for the pic man glad to see it fits!

Thanks for the tips. Ill get a capacitor pack. I think ill and do the 6.5 bullets. Learn something new every day. Good luck with yours.

Thanks for the tips. Ill get a capacitor pack. I think ill and do the 6.5 bullets. Learn something new every day. Good luck with yours.

Thanks man, no problem brotha. I only figured out the servo glitching by trying to swap a sidewinder 8 into the truck. When I did and locked the servos they would glitch and stutter like crazy. Then I tested a mm2 with a homemade cap pack that I made up, glitching was gone at throttle and at idle. Then I just cut the 6mm bullets off and soldered on 6.5s on the stock esc. Lol.
Quick tip, when you solder the bullets the way I do it is with a pen torch. Heat the bullet for about 10 seconds and fill it 80% full with solder. Strip your esc wire and dip in into flux, no need to pre tin the wires if you use flux. Reheat the bullet to melt the solder and stick the esc wire into the bullet until the flux sizzles away. Hold steady till it hardens and then shrink wrap. Sooo much faster and cleaner and easier than using a soldering iron. I do 3 bullets this way in about 5 min.

Yes....16t pinion...wheelies like an Outcast.....Tons of power. Ordered capacitor pack. Did you finalize your motor selection?

Not necessarily more, just different. Seems to have more punch. Was running 17t and went to 16, but I didn't think it would make that much difference. The esc is a hobbywing wp-8bl 150. Wanted to gps and had ordered 19 and 21 pinion, wrong diameter. So no test of top end

Update, I ran the castle 1515, with the stock esc today and man what a difference. It will wheelie on demand at 35,40,45mph no problem. Stock motor on the same 17t pinion would only wheelie on demand below is say 25 30 mph. Didn't change the punch settings at all on the esc. Only the motor and added 6.5mm bullets. Needless to say I'm very happy with the power now, no need for a different esc and no need for me to buy a 4282 motor. Even though it would likely add more torque, I just don't think the driveline will handle it. Snapped 2 upgraded traxxas revo outdrive pins today, both in the rear with center diff locked. Gonna have to hunt down even stronger pins. Stock ones are even weaker than the revo pins. Honestly the revo pins are pretty stout, never broke on on my revo lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back