Looking after your Lipo batteries.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy0987

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
  2. Senton 6s
  3. Typhon 3s
After about a year of owning 2 gensacearespammers batteries, they have started to play up a bit. When charging one of them, the 2nd cell gets to 4.2v first, but the other 2 cells lag behind at around 4.12v. It eventually balances up to full charge, but takes a while. And also I've notice that both batteries seem to have a chemical smell to them, kind of like nail polish. Especially noticeable when stored in an ammo can for a week or so. Has anyone else experienced this before with their lipos?

Also, I'd like to know other peoples procedures with their lipos. I've always just done the basics, like always storage charge when they are not in use, balance charged at 1c up to 4.2v per cell, and just run the truck down to lvc with usually is about 3.6v per cell at rest. Ive seen strong arguments for only charging your lipos to 4.1 - 4.15v per cell, and using a lipo alarm and only going down to 3.7v per cell, to lengthen the life of lipos. Also, storing them in fridges has been talked about as well. Does anyone else go to these lengths with their lipos? Any information would be great. Thanks.

Last edited:
After using , I let them cool down , and put them into storage . Never did the fridge thing . All the batteries I own ( for my bashers ) are Powerhobby , had some for well over a year now , never a problem with any of them . good batteries ? Or have I just had good luck with them ? I've never had any kind of smell come out of mine .

Might be the can itself that smells bad, I know mine does. Refrigerator......mmmm doesn’t sound safe.
Its definitely from the batteries, if i leave them out of the ammo can separately in lipo bags, both the bags will have the smell as well.

I mostly speedrun so I always charge to full before using batteries, and afterwards I let them cool down and use a discharger to get all cells to an even 3.7 volts. I store them in steel ammo cans in the garage, and have no issues. I have a few high power packs almost 3 years old that still work great and are in balance. In my experience unless a battery is bad from the get go, basic maintenance should keep it in good shape for a long time

So when are they still Safe to Use???

I started using 8 Lipos in June.
By Mid September;
Two of the 6S Hoovo's have 2 low cells.
One 2S Zeee discharged while sitting for 3 days from 75% full.

The 3S Zees are doing fine.

You Guys are Lipo Brains.
Whats safe. Whats not.
When do you call it quits on a pac?

6S Hoovo No1
Untitled-1.jpg

6S Hoovo No.2
Untitled-1.jpg

3S Zee No.1
Untitled-1.jpg

3S Zee No.2
Untitled-1.jpg

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back