looking for a Castle Creations 1721 2400kv heat sink fan

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have this without the clip idk if it fits 1721 its bigger i do know that. i did put it on a 1515 was loose i can put it on my 8s 1717 to verify tomorrow unless you sure it fits or someone say it will

7AC1C989-222B-4A38-B083-2A731C89971E.png

Personally, I'd forego the heatsink as the ribbing on the cans of Castle motors reduce the contact surface to such an extent that I'm of the opinion that the amount of heat transfer will be little to none (Particularly in the case of a hot 90k RPM beast like the 1721). I might be wrong, but I even have the sneaking suspicion that the boundary layer of trapped air between heat sink and motor will act as an insulator, potentially leading to an increase in temperature. I have nothing with which to substantiate this hypothesis but it might be interesting to put it to the test in praxis.

My suggestion would be the following:

Grab yourself one of these fan mounts from Powerhobby (it is the only one I have come across that offers the ability to mount two 30mm or 40mm fans on one simple clamp...all others I've ever seen only allow for one fan for whatever reason). They come in four different sizes ranging from 36-58mm. I got mine from Islandhobbynut and they range in price from $13.95-$16.95.

1649682485519.png

Couple it with two of these 40x40x28mm server fans from NMB:

1649682929552.png

You can pick them up for $20 a pop at Digi-Key. Each fan moves 36CFM (for the metrically inclined that's just over 1m³/min) at 26,500RPM at a nominal current draw of 1,55A. Pricewise they cost just a few bucks more than your typical RC ultra-high velocity fan but in terms of how much air they move, they're on a completely different planet (the fans move enough air to levitate...just something to keep in mind when you first plug them in so you're not grasping at fan blades spinning at ludicrous speed....no, I'm not joking).

Here's a link where you can order them and they're fast. Even in Germany I've never had to wait more than four days for arrival after placing my order.

They do make a bit of a racket at full chat, but the bang for buck on these is tough to beat. I looked at a LOT of fans when I was shopping around and of the hundreds I looked at, these were top dog. I rigged mine up to 3-way DPDT on/on/on switch and connect them to the balance plug of one of the LiPos which gives me the option of powering them with either 2S or 3S power depending on what the situation and gearing will generate in term of generated heat or turning them off altogether. The fans are much more tame on 2S while still moving a good amount of air and the car doesn't sound like it's about to take flight.

1649684048963.jpeg

That's my $1.05. Hope it helps :)

I use a Powerhobby 40mm Tornado fan mounted on a Powerhobby 47-49mm fan mount with my Castle 1717 1650kv motor, and that combo works great. The NHX carbon fiber fan guard was purchased separately.

Kratom motor and ESC.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back