Looking for a kit to build.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dhorner

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Outcast 6s
So I have been in and out of RC for years so I don’t really have a strong knowledge base of what all is out there. I currently have a 6s outcast and my daughter has a 3s Typhon.

I want to build a kit from scratch like they used to be when I was a kid. RTR is cool to get your feet wet, but honestly I like building things like that. Is there any quality kits out there anymore? I don’t want an obscure brand that will be impossible to find parts for (Had a bad experience with a GS racing Storm years ago) and not as interested in a small scale vehicle. We primarily use them for bashing, and occasionally playing on a track although the outcast is definitely out of its element there😁.

Any ideas?

It can get a little pricey, but you may want to try a build from scratch. Decide on a reasonable model that fits your needs and ability, download the manual which should have a parts list and exploded view. Start a build thread and you will get tons of help and advice. The finished project will be very rewarding 🤩
When making a decision research parts availability and pricing.

So I have been in and out of RC for years so I don’t really have a strong knowledge base of what all is out there. I currently have a 6s outcast and my daughter has a 3s Typhon.

I want to build a kit from scratch like they used to be when I was a kid. RTR is cool to get your feet wet, but honestly I like building things like that. Is there any quality kits out there anymore? I don’t want an obscure brand that will be impossible to find parts for (Had a bad experience with a GS racing Storm years ago) and not as interested in a small scale vehicle. We primarily use them for bashing, and occasionally playing on a track although the outcast is definitely out of its element there😁.

Any ideas?

Can't beat the build quality and perfect tolerances of a Japanese made MUGEN!

Just built one of THESE in electric version, excellent quality, great on the track and can bash with it. Definitely a fun build, and the project lead for it from TLR has build videos for the entire thing, so if you need to check what you are doing it's really easy.

Just built one of THESE in electric version, excellent quality, great on the track and can bash with it. Definitely a fun build, and the project lead for it from TLR has build videos for the entire thing, so if you need to check what you are doing it's really easy.
I think this is what I will do next. Was always a fan of Losi.

Wouldn’t mind building a Tekno mt kit myself but my first kit will be a losi Truggy.

Tekno Truggy (LWB) or Tekno MT410 (SWB) Both1/8.
Tekno has decent parts support. Losi's aren't the best Truggys if going by that. Not that Tekno is. Losi seems to cost more in the end.
You want 1/8 or 1/10??

Tekno has my vote. I've build up an MT410 and EB410 and both had great instructions and went together smoothly.

I would like to try a Losi 8IGHT though.
I have a losi 8ight. Not impressed at all. Diffs are only good for 4s. 6s never lasted more then 5 min

I have a losi 8ight. Not impressed at all. Diffs are only good for 4s. 6s never lasted more then 5 min
Curious about your comment here regarding 6s. My buddy is thinking of building a track in his backyard. We're each thinking like OP about a kit build (likely a Tekno eb48 2.0s) because we enjoy the wrenching aspect just as much as running them.

He mentioned picking up a Spektrum 6s motor/esc from Jenny's for it. Any issues with this? In your comment, did you mean you'd ruin the diffs running at 6s? We're not expecting to race competitively in any way besides each other. I think he's dead set on staying 6s more so for the battery since that's what our existing vehicles use, not that I agree with that logic. Though worse case, the combo could be a backup for a Kraton.

Curious about your comment here regarding 6s. My buddy is thinking of building a track in his backyard. We're each thinking like OP about a kit build (likely a Tekno eb48 2.0s) because we enjoy the wrenching aspect just as much as running them.

He mentioned picking up a Spektrum 6s motor/esc from Jenny's for it. Any issues with this? In your comment, did you mean you'd ruin the diffs running at 6s? We're not expecting to race competitively in any way besides each other. I think he's dead set on staying 6s more so for the battery since that's what our existing vehicles use, not that I agree with that logic. Though worse case, the combo could be a backup for a Kraton.
When I was blowing my nose up it was with the blx185 and success motor from arrma nothing crazy or over the top on lowest punch setting. If anything I would use a 6S system and only put 4S to it. It will definitely be a better set up that way and will run much cooler with the larger motor and ESC it will last all day on 3DS with no problems so I am sure 4S s will be just fine

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back