Looking for a plastic spur gear for my Kraton 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turn2burn

Reaction score
Hey guys Im looking for a plastic spur gear for my kraton. I read this thread, https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/plastic-spur.4231/

and it looks like I need this part TDR310586 team Durango. https://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=TDR310586

I'd have to take off materiel for the output shaft and I don't know about the recess for the o ring on the inside of the spur.

Is there a more readily available plastic spur gear for the center diff of a kraton?

Why would you want a plastic spur?
As soon as you take a bad landing/tumble in a 6S rig it's going to bust some teeth's..

I'm over here bitchin about my kids eating all the flamin hot Cheetos, you just threw things back into perspective for me.

Are you needing it to be off-road? My 4-tec has a sealed gearbox and I think it's quiet. Also what about the 4s line Kraton? That's sealed up too.

Yea thats what I was afraid of, I need to make it more quiet. I have tinnitus and hyperacusis which makes sounds painful.

Ah..
Okay. I understand.

I wanted to try a belt drive. Plastic wont hold up I know just thinking ideas.

Very interesting.
Belt drive would make it quiet, for sure.

Theres a closed gear box which looks interesting and would work in cooler parts of the year, Im up north.
https://www.aliexpress.us/item/3256...So&mp=1&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US

Holy smokes!!!
$85 for a transmission box!!!

How about you tip me some beer money and I'll CAD up a Custom 3D printed cover for you.

Yea its a bit much but the metal will contain a lot of the sound. I could make one out of carbon fiber super easy too. The not much room for a cover.
Belt drive is my best bet. Yea needs to be for off road. The 4s looks cool but Im committed, wish I had known that would have gone that way.
I don't know is that 4s really sealed like you can put lube in it? I might also loose my center diff all together if I went belt.
If its sealed it seems less stuff would enter the gears for wear. I might get that expensive housing.

Last edited:
Hey guys Im looking for a plastic spur gear for my kraton. I read this thread, https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/plastic-spur.4231/

and it looks like I need this part TDR310586 team Durango. https://www.greathobbies.com/productinfo/?prod_id=TDR310586

I'd have to take off materiel for the output shaft and I don't know about the recess for the o ring on the inside of the spur.

Is there a more readily available plastic spur gear for the center diff of a kraton?
I don't know if I suffer from either of those (I did work for 7 years in tire shop though and it royally screwed my hearing up) but I whole-heartedly agree. For me, hearing the kraton roll makes me ears start thumping and ringing and gives me a massive headache. It's not the volume, it's something else. Not really when on throttle, only when it's rolling and does that awful high pitched ringing from the gear clash. Whatever it is, I feel you 100%.

What about instead of a cover, a "shield" to deflect sound in a different direction? Like down? Perhaps with the addition of some thick plastic to assist absorbing sound waves?

The transmission box does look like a solid option to help contain the sound.

Just asking. Would it help to use ear plugs or maybe sound suppression headset like they use at gun ranges?

I suffer from some sort of tinnitus also..

This video helps me >>

I actually designed and 3D printed one recently. I made the gear teeth much wider to take advantage of the pinion overlap.

I printed in basic nylon and it worked fine for a little while. Almost a whole battery pack of hard driving in a Typhon 6S (running 4S). It eventually failed because the small cylinder broke off from the main part of the spur. There’s just not much room to bulk up the material there.

I could spend some more time on the design though (this was v1). It also might hold up better with stronger filament - perhaps something like carbon fiber nylon.

Do you have access to a 3D printer?

1674533772122.png

I actually designed and 3D printed one recently. I made the gear teeth much wider to take advantage of the pinion overlap.

I printed in basic nylon and it worked fine for a little while. Almost a whole battery pack of hard driving in a Typhon 6S (running 4S). It eventually failed because the small cylinder broke off from the main part of the spur. There’s just not much room to bulk up the material there.

I could spend some more time on the design though (this was v1). It also might hold up better with stronger filament - perhaps something like carbon fiber nylon.

Do you have access to a 3D printer?

View attachment 272642
I don't know why but this is so cool to me.

I have tinnitus and hyperacusis which makes sounds painful.

#MeToo. I suggest wearing musician earplugs while bashing, as they have a flatter attenuation of sounds across the audible frequency range, which is more like turning down the volume without muffling the higher frequencies we need to hear ambient noise and speech, as regular workplace earplugs tend to do.

They're great for concerts, loud restaurants, etc. as well.

I watched a video where they shown some materials that they used for 3d printing holding up 3-400lbs of weight, I wonder if gears made of those would hold up better than default Karna composite?

I put a PPS motor mount in my Kraton 6s. The PPS mount has micro gear mesh adjustment, and when the mesh is adjusted properly the sound of the spur and pinion gears is greatly reduced. The PPS mount isn't cheap, but in your case it might be worth it.

https://practicalproto.com/products/grublock-motor-mount-for-arrma-6s-blx-platform

I have the full PPS mount system with the diff support, top plate, and roll bar mount. The wear on the spur and pinion gears occurred before I put in the PPS mount.

PPS motor mount in Kraton.jpg

Last edited:
Earplugs probably are just the way to go but if you decide to get the closed in motor mount you should get this one from vitavon. Great quality parts and it's actually more closed in than that other one is. Comes in red or silver. Also same price 👍🏼

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2844661036...JylWtYAS6u&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Looking at the other one again I guess it would close up once you actually set gear mesh. But still I vote vitavon

I have a tinnitus situation as well, though it's not as bad as what you're experiencing. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

I wear hearing protection for whatever I can, if it's anything approaching loud. Musician's earplugs for anything like a concert (and we're not talking a loud rock concert). Regular earplugs (or noise cancelling earbuds) and 3M earmuffs, together, for cutting the grass, etc. These seemed to be the most noise reduction I could find:

3M PELTOR X5A Over-the-Head Ear Muffs https://a.co/d/hSyHZsq

I don't care if they look odd while mowing :) Thankfully my electric truck (just bought) hasn't been a problem. But if I still had my nitro, I'd probably wear something.

Agreed that a belt drive would probably be quietest. Not trivial, though, unfortunately. There were belt drive 4WD touring cars, back in the day, maybe something exists that could be a starting point?

Does anyone sell angled gears, or some other style that's quieter than straight-cut? Of course, you'd still have the front & rear differentials to deal with. I wonder if trying to kind of pack sound insulation around the the different gear sets could help muffle them?

Heck, even adding something to the body, so it helps deaden the sound, rather than acting as a big sounding board? Silly, but imagine wrapping the body with part of a towel (the outside is probably simpler), just as a test. I'll bet that could help.

Plastic rings and input pinions also, maybe just trade for a 3S/4S plastic toy grade RC?

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back