Typhon Looking for Belted off road/all terain tires

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Duperbash vented his belted trenchers in a vid. I haven't yet but will run once and then see.
I have ruined some PL enough to have to just reglue. Otherwise nothing splitting or anything detrimental. They're all salvageable so far for me.

I just extended the stubs / hubs. The quick and easy way. So far though, no probs no matter what I run. I've tried even 3.8 and no issues other than it's stupid with those huge tires.

I questioned venting the belted tires also. Because I always vent at the tread. I seal the wheel vents if any. I would probably vent at the inner sidewall area like track guys do. I would not want to damage the belt by venting through it. Could create a warranty issue. I don't want to be accused of asking PL for free Poop when it is user error. It is not nice to ask for free Poop.

I questioned venting the belted tires also. Because I always vent at the tread. I seal the wheel vents if any. I would probably vent at the inner sidewall area like track guys do. I would not want to damage the belt by venting through it. Could create a warranty issue. I don't want to be accused of asking PL for free Poop when it is user error. It is not nice to ask for free Poop.
Yeah I wouldn't chance it myself either. Also nice auto correct.. don't worry, I read your message with the actual word instead of poop so it was a lot more serious.

Duperbash vented his belted trenchers in a vid. I haven't yet but will run once and then see.
I have ruined some PL enough to have to just reglue. Otherwise nothing splitting or anything detrimental. They're all salvageable so far for me.

I just extended the stubs / hubs. The quick and easy way. So far though, no probs no matter what I run. I've tried even 3.8 and no issues other than it's stupid with those huge tires.
That's what I'm thinking of doing as well ? I don't bash crazy I haven't even gotten my typhon to jump 5 feet! Mostly asphalt and baseball diamonds for now. What brand of stubs and hubs did you go with, if you don't mind me askin? I usually run 6s at 50 percent throttle so I hope I'm good with just extending the hubs.

Yeah I wouldn't chance it myself either. Also nice auto correct.. don't worry, I read your message with the actual word instead of poop so it was a lot more serious.
I must assume you can read between the lines. That was not autocorrect.Lol.

I have a set of MX38s, PL warranty replaced one when the hub cracked on the second jump. Honestly idk if they'll belt the 3.8s, they are already too heavy for most, adding steel belts would be lead weights. Actually I wasnt a set of dish holeshot premounts for my Outcast, wanna start seriously practicing at my local track, maybe start a 1/8th "Arrma" class of 6S 4WD. That'd be sick until the Tekno/Tekin Army takes over. ? Maybe a stock Arrma class.

I have a set of MX38s, PL warranty replaced one when the hub cracked on the second jump. Honestly idk if they'll belt the 3.8s, they are already too heavy for most, adding steel belts would be lead weights. Actually I wasnt a set of dish holeshot premounts for my Outcast, wanna start seriously practicing at my local track, maybe start a 1/8th "Arrma" class of 6S 4WD. That'd be sick until the Tekno/Tekin Army takes over. ? Maybe a stock Arrma class.

They've already done it. I won't be the first guy to try those but my ears and eyes are open. And no way I'd ever want to afford these things.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/proline-finally-out-with-3-8-belted.13754/#post-168484

That's what I'm thinking of doing as well ? I don't bash crazy I haven't even gotten my typhon to jump 5 feet! Mostly asphalt and baseball diamonds for now. What brand of stubs and hubs did you go with, if you don't mind me askin? I usually run 6s at 50 percent throttle so I hope I'm good with just extending the hubs.

This pack x2 and use stock pins. I think this is it but I'll think on it more. I may be forgetting something but could only be shims. I don't remember which shims and easy to see where they belong once I got into it. This may be all I needed.
Works fine and works hard for me. No probs at all.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-associated-rc8t-wheel-hex-set-asc89330/p28097

Edit: This is really all I did to "Truggify" my Typhon 6s. Others do it otherwise and probably better but thsi works just fine. I've run dumb big tires and wheels and on 20t pinion it's way fast. I've tried lots of treads and blew out some SRC and Duratrax buggy tires that were wrapped with 60# braided fishing line.
Maybe these belted PL trenchers will be my truggy win but I'm gonna take it easy for sure. lol ????

Last edited:
This pack x2 and use stock pins. I think this is it but I'll think on it more. I may be forgetting something but could only be shims. I don't remember which shims and easy to see where they belong once I got into it. This may be all I needed.
Works fine and works hard for me. No probs at all.

https://www.amainhobbies.com/team-associated-rc8t-wheel-hex-set-asc89330/p28097

Edit: This is really all I did to "Truggify" my Typhon 6s. Others do it otherwise and probably better but thsi works just fine. I've run dumb big tires and wheels and on 20t pinion it's way fast. I've tried lots of treads and blew out some SRC and Duratrax buggy tires that were wrapped with 60# braided fishing line.
Maybe these belted PL trenchers will be my truggy win but I'm gonna take it easy for sure. lol ????
Nice to know! So buy 2 packs and call it a day? Lol I'm just curious how the installation goes, remove my stock hubs, put these and stock pins in, throw on new set of tires, tightened them, open a beer and celebrate? Haha if that's all that's required I'm ordering these right now ?

Nice to know! So buy 2 packs and call it a day? Lol I'm just curious how the installation goes, remove my stock hubs, put these and stock pins in, throw on new set of tires, tightened them, open a beer and celebrate? Haha if that's all that's required I'm ordering these right now ?
Yup. However, just like everything in life... it has its drawbacks. The downside to just extending the stub length is now you’re putting exponentially more pressure on the hub bearings, leading to premature failure. I don’t use hub extensions so I can’t comment from experience, but I guarantee you as soon as you start doing jumps, you will blow out bearings much quicker than the normal rate. It’s the same reason why you’re not supposed to use wheel spacers on 1:1 cars.

Yup. However, just like everything in life... it has its drawbacks. The downside to just extending the stub length is now you’re putting exponentially more pressure on the hub bearings, leading to premature failure. I don’t use hub extensions so I can’t comment from experience, but I guarantee you as soon as you start doing jumps, you will blow out bearings much quicker than the normal rate. It’s the same reason why you’re not supposed to use wheel spacers on 1:1 cars.
Thanks for the insight. That's the only negative thing I've been reading through out this whole process haha. I decided to order those extensions and theres only one way to find out what the results will be.. I'll let you guys know when I install them and if anything breaks I'll make sure to let you guys know as well ??

Thanks for the insight. That's the only negative thing I've been reading through out this whole process haha. I decided to order those extensions and theres only one way to find out what the results will be.. I'll let you guys know when I install them and if anything breaks I'll make sure to let you guys know as well ??
I doubt you’ll have issues just putting around and keeping it within 7 or so feet of the ground so don’t worry about it too much. Have fun!

I doubt you’ll have issues just putting around and keeping it within 7 or so feet of the ground so don’t worry about it too much. Have fun!

Thanks I'll try not too! Only reason why I haven't bashed hard is because I haven't found a nice place to bash at ? I live in los angeles but I'm sure theres grassy hill spots around just need to explore a bit.

Thanks I'll try not too! Only reason why I haven't bashed hard is because I haven't found a nice place to bash at ? I live in los angeles but I'm sure theres grassy hill spots around just need to explore a bit.
Skate parks are you best friend man!! (Orrrrrr worst nightmare.... it can go either way...lol..)

Skate parks are you best friend man!! (Orrrrrr worst nightmare.... it can go either way...lol..)
Definitely need to try out a skate park I know theres a lot around here just never thought of it! Thanks lol I love everyone around here so helpful and friendly. ?

Two packs covers the vehicle. Easy to fit. Drink beer the entire time. That's it and put on 17mm wheels and tires...but I know I used some shims

*found em. I used these as well but not 100% necessary at first. You can run it as it is until these come in and they'll help clean up some slop.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/shim-8-12-0-3mm.html

That's it. Drink beer. ????

Definitely need to try out a skate park I know theres a lot around here just never thought of it! Thanks lol I love everyone around here so helpful and friendly. ?
Trust me it only gets better from here on.. just don’t mention anything good about brands other than arrma, and your experience will be enjoyable.

Two packs covers the vehicle. Easy to fit. Drink beer the entire time. That's it and put on 17mm wheels and tires...but I know I used some shims

*found em. I used these as well but not 100% necessary at first. You can run it as it is until these come in and they'll help clean up some slop.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/shim-8-12-0-3mm.html

That's it. Drink beer. ????

Really appreciate it. I'm going to bookmark them just incase I do need them after the installation. I'll make sure I drink beer the whole time too. Haha?? hopefully your bash sesh goes all well tomorrow and you can show the kids some epic typhon action lol. Thanks again, I'm calling it a day. Goodnight

Agree.
I know some guys using 1 inch wheel spacers on 1:1 because they have incorrectly matched negative offset wheels. :rolleyes:
Not only causes premature bearing failure, but alters caster angle and scrub. Front tires wear out prematurely as well.
But there is some room for play in RC rigs. There are limits however. Its personal preference. We can do all crazy things to RC rigs that we wouldn't even think of doing to our 1:1 vehicles. RC is about fun and creativity.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back