Looking for fan mount for castle 1717 motor

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or 2 mounts and a fan, they also sell 2 fans 1 mount. RC Motor Cooling Fan with 40-43mm Adjustable Dual Mount, DKKY 1/10 1/8 1/5 RC Brushed Brushless 21000 RPM High Speed Cooling Fan Heatsink for TRAXXAS 4274 4068 4268 Motor and ARRMA, Axial Motor Black https://a.co/d/gaxjqnE

Or 2 mounts and a fan, they also sell 2 fans 1 mount. RC Motor Cooling Fan with 40-43mm Adjustable Dual Mount, DKKY 1/10 1/8 1/5 RC Brushed Brushless 21000 RPM High Speed Cooling Fan Heatsink for TRAXXAS 4274 4068 4268 Motor and ARRMA, Axial Motor Black https://a.co/d/gaxjqnE
The Castle 1717 is a 4985 can not a 40-43mm can. It might work depends on how far the clamp can open.

Here's another fan mount for 47-49mm cans from Powerhobby for 2x30 or 2x40mm fans for $15.
https://www.islandhobbynut.com/prod...luminum-47-49mm-dia-motor-mount-30mm-40mm-fan
1668894735936.png

I know it's a bit of a question of personal preference, I'm just not a big fan of heat sinks. I'd rather have fans blowing straight onto the can.
It depends on the can, if the can is ribbed a heatsink isn't really going to do much good as it is only making contact with a small portion of the can, on a smooth can motor they work much better as the entire surface of the heatsink is in contact with the entire surface of the motor can.

It depends on the can, if the can is ribbed a heatsink isn't really going to do much good as it is only making contact with a small portion of the can, on a smooth can motor they work much better as the entire surface of the heatsink is in contact with the entire surface of the motor can.
They definitely only make sense on smooth cans if you're going to use them, you're absolutely right about that. On finned cans you're just creating an insulating layer of air between the motor and heatsink which is just going to drive temperatures up.

I thought you had to grind off some fins so they didn't hit the center diff output?
Depends on what body your running, you can rotate it but yes, you may have to trim a little
This, and keeping the fan backed away from the motor far enough, theres a dead area right underneath a fan, if it's too close, it's not doing much good... 3/4 - 1" off the motor is a good distance for most fans, the big high speed server fans can be distanced a little further

Last edited:
Depends on what body your running, you can rotate it but yes, you may have to trim a little

This, and keeping the fan backed away from the motor far enough, theres a dead area right underneath a fan, if it's too close, it's not doing much good... 3/4 - 1" off the motor is a good distance for most fans, the big high speed server fans can be distanced a little further

what’s this about dead space right in front of the fan? Not intuitive to me.

Power up any of your fans and put your finger/hand on the output side... you'll feel more air movement when your finger/hand is backed away from the fan a little than when it's right against the fan, something I realized more so by accident.. I'm no physicists(or whatever really smart guy profession would study this sort of thing) so hopefully one of the elders with the right words will chime in

Ahh. Ok. Thank you. If there is an appreciable difference I can think of reasons to explain the observation. For exampl, air pressure building up interfering with flow since the air hitting the motor also has to have a way to escap.

Think of it this way. This is a cross section view of the fan. In the middle of the fan is the hub the blades sit on. As the air exits the fan towards the bottom it spreads out, propagating similar to the way you would think of sound waves propagating through the air. The further away you get from the fan, the more overlap you get of the jets of air coming out of the back of the fan. The red area is the dead zone just behind the fan blades and why you feel more air movement further back. Hope this makes sense.
1669255986262.png

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back