Looking for Hex Wrench Set

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustAnOutcast

compulsive over-thinker, I think. 🤔
Reaction score
I’m looking for a good set of hex wrenches for working on my Outcast 6s EXB and wonder if these from Harbor Freight are any good? I only need five different sizes, but the price is right. Thanks for comments and suggestions.

A0C73B01-13D0-43D5-B42E-21C7076192C1.jpeg

Nope. Definitely not. Even the "nicer" hardware store wrenches like DeWalt, Husky, etc. just aren't worth it.

The screws in these kits are so small, and there are so many of them, that anything other than MIP or Protek don't fit right, strip out, wear out, etc. almost immediately. You'll end up regretting the cheap ones and have to waste tons of time trying to remove stripped screws you could have avoided in the first place.

I use the set from Dynamite, had them for years never had any problem with them stripping out screws, even have the nut driver set, my screw drivers are from Tamiya, my pliers are Craftsman (they are the littler gold handled craft ones)

I use the set from Dynamite, had them for years never had any problem with them stripping out screws, even have the nut driver set, my screw drivers are from Tamiya, my pliers are Craftsman (they are the littler gold handled craft ones)
I had dynamite hex wrenches, but they stripped so many screws I upgraded to MIP. I would recommend MIP. Harbor Freight will just round the heads.

oh I have Duratrax E-clip tool and thier body scissor/post hole reamer set also, car stand shock building stand and RPM guages for toe and castor as well as a bearing blaster and shock building gauge ( I've been doing this a awhile)
Oh and I also like pumpkin spice and chi lattes, so let the flameing begin

Last edited:
True dat and it’s good to have a set in the box - but not if OP is looking for a primary (only) set of wrenches.
Correct, I need like 3 sets. Spread about 3 different spots. Never know when I'll get a better opportunity to drive/ try to wreck something 🤷‍♂️

oh I have Duratrax E-clip tool and thier body scissor/post hole reamer set also, car stand shock building stand and RPM guages for toe and castor as well as a bearing blaster and shock building gauge ( I've been doing this a awhile)
Oh and I also like pumpkin spice and chi lattes, so let the flameing begin
That e-clip tool has saved me so much frustration. I want to get the Rpm setup tools as well.

I’m looking for a good set of hex wrenches for working on my Outcast 6s EXB and wonder if these from Harbor Freight are any good? I only need five different sizes, but the price is right. Thanks for comments and suggestions.

View attachment 251539
No.
Not for RC use.
And these L wrenches will tire you out. Not efficient to use for RC wrenching at all. These above are ball wrenches at that. Not what you want as primary use Hex drivers. They will strip out the screw hexes.
MIP "Handled" Hex drivers all the way.(y) Spend the Coin.
Ball tipped hex drivers may be used sporadically with tough areas. Might serve a limited purpose. But very rarely should you do this. Very easy to get lazy and use them all the time. They will strip out the screw hexes at some point with repetitive use. Ball tips also wear out fast.
That e-clip tool has saved me so much frustration. I want to get the Rpm setup tools as well.
Which RPM tools are you specifically talking about?
I had several RPM SAE hex drivers fail me. They snapped easily and wore out quick. Loose fitting even when new.
I have Bondhus "Ball" hex drivers here. And I like my Dynamite Hex "Nut" drivers.
But these tools are not used or needed much at all.

Last edited:
…Oh and I also like pumpkin spice and chi lattes…

Based on the pumpkin spice and chi lattes revelation, I was nearly persuaded to go with the Dynamite set. 😂

But after research and reading other threads, it seems the consensus is MIP is best, with some good results from a few other brands and a bad report or two on the MIP.

So, it’s off to the LHS I go, maybe they have the MIPs hanging on the wall for a good price, otherwise I’ll order online.

Thanks again to everyone that chimed in, exactly what I needed to hear.

Based on the pumpkin spice and chi lattes revelation, I was nearly persuaded to go with the Dynamite set. 😂

But after research and reading other threads, it seems the consensus is MIP is best, with some good results from a few other brands and a bad report or two on the MIP.

So, it’s off to the LHS I go, maybe they have the MIPs hanging on the wall for a good price, otherwise I’ll order online.

Thanks again to everyone that chimed in, exactly what I needed to hear.
I'm crushed

Man, not sure what some of you're doing to your RCs. I have several sets that the OP asked about. Had them for years and use on my RCs. The ball ends get into hard to reach places. I do clean the heads out first. There's only been one head stripped.

About a year ago, I bought this thing. It does have hex bits but, doesn't get into everywhere. No complaints. No stripped heads or broken bits.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200760335_200760335

A month ago I broke down and bought a set of Dynamite bits that fit my Hercules 1/4" impact driver. No complaints there either.

According to a recent paper published in the Journal of the American R/C Association which I co-authored, these are the best fitting and longest lasting hex drivers, achieving a composite index score of 9.1. MIP came in second at 8.7.
The Proteks were the new kid on the block early on only recently. An Amain Brand product. With no real world evaluation or track record . Now that they are in the wild, I guess many like them???:unsure: I may get a set to try. Not that I need them. I was never a fan of Alloy handled Drivers to begin with. The feel to them and how they make my palms calloused with extended use. Many like the trick look. Just that the driver tips can loosen within the handle. Unlike MIP's would. Happend with my Vanquish Products handles and AMZ cheapos. And I even use Blue TL on the shaft Hex screws to boot.
By Contrast, MIP's are the Oldest name in RC for Hex drivers. Close to 30 years running. I am sure there will always be a few outliar complaints with them.

Last edited:
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back