Senton Looking for mid range brushless system for arrma senton mega

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BASYOUNI

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. 4x4-Mega
Hello every one I'm new in the hobby , I've got my new arrma senton mega 4x4 and looking to upgrade it to brushless , I will run it on 3s (asphalt speed run) and 2s ( off road and bashing)

I was thinning about this combos

- Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT 3800KV Motor
- Hobbywing ezrun max10 3300KV Motor
- Hobbywing ezrun max10 4000KV Motor

what's the recommended on and which one should I choose?

I wouldn't overlook the Horizon Hobby Kinexsis systems either. The 3000kv is plenty of power for my truck. They are about $75 right now.

Edit: It is a 550 motor with 70amp ESC.

Last edited:
The 3300 motor would probably be the better of the 3 if you want to run 3S. Running a 3800 on 3S would probably push it pretty hard. However, a 60A esc may not hold up well for offroad. Would be perfect if castle had a 3300kv/sidewinder sct combo.

If you wait a week, I can tell you how the castle sct sv3/3800kv system holds up to 3S abuse. I have that in my traxxas stampede 4x4, but I've only run it on 2S the past year. I'm about to give it a rip on 3S since I finally got some 3S packs that will fit. I need to gear it down some though as I'm running I think 13/52 gearing on 2S. Pretty sure it comes stock for 3S with 11/54.

I also ordered another of almost the same for my eJato. The 3800kv motor is sensored, but I think the ESC is the same as what I have now in my stampede. I'm fully intending on running that on 3S. My traxxas vxl-3s/3500kv motor cooked on me last weekend. No idea why. The motor just spit out smoke. Going to see if the vxl-3s can run the 3800kv motor first. If not, I'll put the new ESC in. I just don't feel like fiddling with it.

Hello every one I'm new in the hobby , I've got my new arrma senton mega 4x4 and looking to upgrade it to brushless , I will run it on 3s (asphalt speed run) and 2s ( off road and bashing)

I was thinning about this combos

- Castle Creations Sidewinder SCT 3800KV Motor
- Hobbywing ezrun max10 3300KV Motor
- Hobbywing ezrun max10 4000KV Motor

what's the recommended on and which one should I choose?

I can tell you from experience that you will have heat issues with the castle combo on 3S. You will be fine on to 2s, but 3s is very dicey. I also think the bec in that castle esc is pretty crappy. 5V 2 amp. I’d have to look at the max10 to see if it’s better but I think it is.

I wouldn't overlook the Horizon Hobby Kinexsis systems either. The 3000kv is plenty of power for my truck. They are about $75 right now.

Edit: It is a 550 motor with 70amp ESC.
that was one of my choices too
from your experience did you noticed any cogging ? also is it over heated on 3s ?

All sensorless has some cogging, this setup doesn't have much at all in my opinion. I am currently running 3s with a 15t pinion and it's not overheating. I had heat issues with 2s and a 22t pinion, but I was pushing it hard for 30ish minutes in my hilly back yard too. I believe the Granites suffer from poor airflow across the motor and have a 50mm fan on mine.

If you get this, I recommend keeping the punch set to 1 or 2 (out of 4) until you upgrade the (rear mostly) differential input gear. Mine broke when running 2s/22t with punch on 3 or 4 (forgot).

The 3300 motor would probably be the better of the 3 if you want to run 3S. Running a 3800 on 3S would probably push it pretty hard. However, a 60A esc may not hold up well for offroad. Would be perfect if castle had a 3300kv/sidewinder sct combo.

If you wait a week, I can tell you how the castle sct sv3/3800kv system holds up to 3S abuse. I have that in my traxxas stampede 4x4, but I've only run it on 2S the past year. I'm about to give it a rip on 3S since I finally got some 3S packs that will fit. I need to gear it down some though as I'm running I think 13/52 gearing on 2S. Pretty sure it comes stock for 3S with 11/54.

I also ordered another of almost the same for my eJato. The 3800kv motor is sensored, but I think the ESC is the same as what I have now in my stampede. I'm fully intending on running that on 3S. My traxxas vxl-3s/3500kv motor cooked on me last weekend. No idea why. The motor just spit out smoke. Going to see if the vxl-3s can run the 3800kv motor first. If not, I'll put the new ESC in. I just don't feel like fiddling with it.
thanks for your advice and looking forward for your experiment , i was taking a look on castle creations website and found that sidewinder 4 will be released or it's already released , i think it will be a nice combo with decent price

All sensorless has some cogging, this setup doesn't have much at all in my opinion. I am currently running 3s with a 15t pinion and it's not overheating. I had heat issues with 2s and a 22t pinion, but I was pushing it hard for 30ish minutes in my hilly back yard too. I believe the Granites suffer from poor airflow across the motor and have a 50mm fan on mine.

If you get this, I recommend keeping the punch set to 1 or 2 (out of 4) until you upgrade the (rear mostly) differential input gear. Mine broke when running 2s/22t with punch on 3 or 4 (forgot).
i think i will stick with the pinion that comes with the truck it self (17T) as i'm looking for 3.17mm shaft ,
what's the top speed you hit with 3s ?

Last edited:
thanks for your advice and looking forward for your experiment , i was taking a look on castle creations website and found that sidewinder 4 will be released or it's already released , i think it will be a nice combo with decent price
I've had the Sidewinder SCT Sv3 for a year, the v4 didn't exist yet. I only went with the sv3 combo again because that's what I found readily available on ebay. Hoping I have better luck than @bicketybam did. I forgot about the bec in them being 5V. I have an external BEC in my stampede, but really only because I was having range issues due to the 5V of the esc. Ended up being my receiver was bad, but I left the external BEC in it to use.

First I'll see how the traxxas vxl-3s does with the 3800kv castle motor. If that goes well, I'll stick with it. If not, then I'll try the sct sv3 esc and see how it does, then figure out where I can put an external BEC if need be. I don't have much space on the ejato.

I can tell you from experience that you will have heat issues with the castle combo on 3S. You will be fine on to 2s, but 3s is very dicey. I also think the bec in that castle esc is pretty crappy. 5V 2 amp. I’d have to look at the max10 to see if it’s better but I think it is.
you're right i've reading about this and castle says that the 3s is only recommended for 2WD and lightweight buggies .

you're right i've reading about this and castle says that the 3s is only recommended for 2WD and lightweight buggies .
My ejato is 4lb 15oz and my stampede 4x4 is 6lb 6oz. I'll post up how it does on 3S.

I changed the gearing on the stampede to 11/52, I was running 13/52 with 2S. 9/52 won't mesh. 11/52 barely meshes. I think I have a 54T spur, which might work with the 9T pinion, but I"m not sure. If I remember right, the castle 3800kv motor is fatter than the traxxas 3500kv. Combined with the ziptie holding the fan on, the motor is currently resting on the chassis with 11/52.

I'll have to see what fits on the ejato, but not many have one of those, so it's gearing only really relevant to me.

Unfortunately Castle really doesn’t make a budget 4wd 3s esc. And the next step up is a big difference in cost.

i think i will stick with the pinion that comes with the truck it self (17T) as i'm looking for 3.17mm shaft ,
what's the top speed you hit with 3s ?
I clocked 2s/22t at 27 mph. The 3s/15t is a touch faster. Maybe 30 mph.

Unfortunately Castle really doesn’t make a budget 4wd 3s esc. And the next step up is a big difference in cost.
Maybe the mamba-x for $115. Double the price of the sidewinder sct sv3. Once you go that far, may as well a spend another $13 and get the MMv2 for $128. Then pair it with the 2400kv 1/10 sized motor they have for $94 so you don't have to modify the chassis and whatnot to fit a big 1/8th sized motor. Still, your at $220+ to run 3S in a small light truck. Seems a bit heavy handed.

No way I would put a motor combo in this truck that cost just as much as it did new. It's not worth it. Plenty of $80 setups can run 3s. Beyond 3s is just a waste in this truck.

No way I would put a motor combo in this truck that cost just as much as it did new. It's not worth it. Plenty of $80 setups can run 3s. Beyond 3s is just a waste in this truck.
Yeah, that's kind of where I'm at with it all too. Then again, I also don't want to have to stand out there and wait 10 minutes while my motor or esc cool off so I can run another 5 minutes.

I was thinking of getting a HW max6 for the outcast, since I was having heat issues with it, then transplant the blx185 into my stampede. Doesn't help you much, but for me, I'm beefing up both trucks at the same time. However, after gearing and tire changes, the outcast seems solid for me now. I'm able to run 2 sets of packs through it pretty hard without the esc shutting down on me.

sure thing , on other hand the diffs , spur & servo will not bear too much horses until you make another modification with extra cost, Right now I will stick with around 100$ budget just to hit 30 or 40 mph on asphalt. and for future I will get premium traxxas slash 4x4. our outcast

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back