Kraton Looking for Motor and ESC advice

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Luke228

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi 👋

First time posting in the forums. I've owned a Kraton 6s v4 for a little over a year now. Replaced a lot of stuff. Great vehicle. Love it. I swapped the stock electronics for a Hobbywing XR8 and 2250kv sensored setup. Been fun and surprisingly reliable. Now I'm looking for more power. I have a HW max6 that is in my Losi LST electric and it's great. Going with another one in my Kraton but unsure of what motor to use. Looking for any suggestions. What's a great motor that gets without shredding diffs?

When I run out of the Spektrum electronics I have lying around I plan on switching to a Max 6 with a 1650kv motor. Something around 1600kV would give you a nice boost of power compared to a 2250kV.
Hey 👋. Thanks for your input. I looked at the HW 4985 1650kv (I think). Just unsure if that'd be a little too much extra punch...? If the diffs can take that kind of power then I'd be all for it. Just took the diffs apart for the first time last week. Not something I'd enjoy doing on a regular basis....

Hey 👋. Thanks for your input. I looked at the HW 4985 1650kv (I think). Just unsure if that'd be a little too much extra punch...? If the diffs can take that kind of power then I'd be all for it. Just took the diffs apart for the first time last week. Not something I'd enjoy doing on a regular basis....
A lot of us run the 4985 1650 in our Arrma 6s rigs. Pretty sure I've had mine in my Outcast for 2 years now and the only diff I replaced was because the cup came off the output shaft.

A lot of us run the 4985 1650 in our Arrma 6s rigs. Pretty sure I've had mine in my Outcast for 2 years now and the only diff I replaced was because the cup came off the output shaft.
OK cool. Thanks bud! Sounds promising. I've found info different places on making the diffs stronger using shims and better gears (ex. Mugen). But if there's no need for that, even better. I appreciate the feedback!

I run spektrum smart electronics in my ExB and a 1950kv t.p. power motor standing back flips all day and runs cool

I appreciate all the responses and advice! Went ahead and picked up a HW 4985 as I already had a MAX6 escape in another rc. Paired them up and just doing some last minute calibrations to the receiver and esc. I'll post the results after the first run.
I will cleanup the mess of wires.....

Attachments

• 20210826_171529.jpg
    20210826_171529.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 46
Wires wires everywhere

20210826_195625.jpg

20210826_195638.jpg

I couldn't find a way to make the max6 fit using the esc tray. Anyone else have that issue? Without the esc tray it's hard to hide the longer wiring.
Nevertheless, this thing MOVES. Holy Moelee. Trying to run this monster on my neighborhood streets...full throttle isn't possible. Looking forward to tomorrow so I can really open her up.
Just want to thank everyone again for your help and also the warm welcomes. Really glad I joined the forums.

Last edited:
Shave off the fin on the esc tray ( the bit that sticks up near the centre diff). What a lot of us have done (me included) is trace the max 6 mounting holes onto a piece of paper and transfer it onto the esc tray. U should be good to mount it up then.👍

Shave off the fin on the esc tray ( the bit that sticks up near the centre diff). What a lot of us have done (me included) is trace the max 6 mounting holes onto a piece of paper and transfer it onto the esc tray. U should be good to mount it up then.👍
I thought about doing just that. Ended up servo taping it to the chassis for now. Really eager to get her running and try that new motor out. It's a beast!!

This is what I did, I also removed the stock switch mount so I could get it a bit closer to the side guard.
20210626_131358.jpg

This is what I did, I also removed the stock switch mount so I could get it a bit closer to the side guard.
View attachment 165914
Looks really good! Those braided lines are amazing. Very nice rig. Gorgeous.

I'm going to copy your technique with the esc tray. Or try to at least. My fan wires look terrible as they are now so I need that tray to clean them up.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back