Big Rock Looking for "one" transmitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have the Spektrum DX5 Rugged. If you get a new DX5, I recommend against the Rugged version, just get the DX5C. The transmitter itself works great, good range, accurate, responsive, comfortable. But the Rugged costs more, is heavier, the rubber bumpers pull out and can be a pain to get back in, the brace is useless and mine actually broke off, and the touch scroll is a pain to use. The DX5C functions are the same, costs less, with none of the unnecessary and actually problematic features.

Quite frankly, a DX5 was overkill for me. I don't use the advanced programming features, they're not necessary for bashing. If you don't have a reason for them, I would pause before spending even on the DX5C. If I could do it all over again, I have a feeling a Dumbo RC would work fine. They're supposed to have excellent range, but I can't be sure how the responsiveness compares. Just make sure you get the multiple receiver one if you want to bind several RC's.

I have the DX5. Had to send back twice. The ON/OFF button will not function properly. Had one for 3 months with very little use. The second DX5 had it 5 days and it failed. Spent $40.00 bucks in shipping and out of service for 3 weeks. Really sucks.

I have the Spektrum DX5 Rugged. If you get a new DX5, I recommend against the Rugged version, just get the DX5C. The transmitter itself works great, good range, accurate, responsive, comfortable. But the Rugged costs more, is heavier, the rubber bumpers pull out and can be a pain to get back in, the brace is useless and mine actually broke off, and the touch scroll is a pain to use. The DX5C functions are the same, costs less, with none of the unnecessary and actually problematic features.

Quite frankly, a DX5 was overkill for me. I don't use the advanced programming features, they're not necessary for bashing. If you don't have a reason for them, I would pause before spending even on the DX5C. If I could do it all over again, I have a feeling a Dumbo RC would work fine. They're supposed to have excellent range, but I can't be sure how the responsiveness compares. Just make sure you get the multiple receiver one if you want to bind several RC's.

Yes. The rugged is a pain to program.

I have been using the Fly Sky Noble NB4 for roughly 6 months now and really enjoy it! Plenty of battery life without the external battery pack and the receivers are relatively cheap and I haven't had one go bad. It is also upgradeable and there is some great 3D printed accessories to customize it. After trying out a few different transmitters, including the DX5C, I can't see myself changing to anything else.

I spotted an article about this transmitter yesterday in another forum which seems to be at a relatively low price point for the features it has, like 7 channels, 20 receivers, 2wd or 4wd and real time battery info. I think it is fairly new so not sure how it stacks up yet, but I'd consider one in the future.

FlySky FS-G7P​

Just did a review on the radio. For $70, it’s friggin’ awesome.

Just did a review on the radio. For $70, it’s friggin’ awesome.

I really like this radio too but have some quality control issues. I'm getting my 3rd sent to me from Amazon (thank god I spent the extra $20 vs getting it from China). The first two both would not make contact with the AA batteries in the battery compartment and wouldn't turn on. Both of them. With normal Duracells and and with my NiMH rechargeable. So I shoved some little washers in behind the connectors to tighten things up and it works fine, because I still wanted to use it.

Now I'm approaching 90 days in and my steering is twitching out on me. I can see the little indicator in the display jittering around. I just got my first crawler last week and I was all trying to figure out wtf was wrong with it - like did I already burn out a servo, or is my ESC underpowered.... and then yesterday I turned my TLR 22-4 on and it was twitching out on me too. Luckily amazon it taking it back, and I'm going to order another (I'm already in for 5 recievers, so I don't have much choice now).

I really like it though, so maybe I'll be luckier this time. If I was out of the return period, maybe tearing it down and spraying some contact cleaner into the pots or something, idk. A little frustrating.

TLR 22-4? Awesome, that's my favorite car I have!

Anyway, I actually use 5 different radios... so you guys are all right, everybody wins!

TLR 22-4? Awesome, that's my favorite car I have!

Anyway, I actually use 5 different radios... so you guys are all right, everybody wins!

Lol I know - that's where I first saw you lol. If there's ever a fun car to get used in a pile of parts and try to rebuild, that was a good one. You answered a few of my questions about it on tech forum. I don't race but like to try my hand on the carpet at my local track once in a while and it's super fun and I really like the engineering of the belt design.

And to keep my post on topic - my replacement radio is working great. Was able to dump all my models and re-import - but had to rebind them all. I guess some RX's are autobind, but not the one that comes with it. Also, I setup my 4wheel steer + dig crawler with the g7p it and it's really sweet. I've actually used up all 7 channels and am getting battery voltage telemetry sent back to the TX too. I'm digging it if it doesn't break again.
1-front-servo
2-ESC/TH
3-rear-servo
4-dig-servo (SW1 on/off)
5-lights-2sets-toggle (TR pressed down)
6-Toggle 4WS mode Front/Rear/Coordinated/Crab (SW2)
7-VR1 dial I have mixed to add to CH3 so I can manually set a rear wheel steer position - like setting a rudder, hands off.
Plus VR2 dial/lever I have mixed to Throttle but only 10% - so it acts like a micro-adjust creeper cruise control.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back