Kraton Looking for opinions on the ultimate ESC/Motor combo for a Kraton 6S EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I guess it depends on what the OP wants in the combo. Its good to have choices... I won't say what stuff I have in my rigs.... they work for me and I am satisfied. The folks on here , yourself included, have given OP good insight on several choices they can make.

What is "best" for me may not be worth a Sh_$ to someone else....
I'm even starting to use the Rocket/HobbyStar motors on my 1/5 trucks. So far so good. Half the price of the Castle motor and I don't care about the sensored thing. I'm found to try them out in my smaller rigs too once I need one for those. I would still stick with HW and MMX8S for ESCS though.

I guess it depends on what the OP wants in the combo. Its good to have choices... I won't say what stuff I have in my rigs.... they work for me and I am satisfied. The folks on here , yourself included, have given OP good insight on several choices they can make.

What is "best" for me may not be worth a Sh_$ to someone else....
I agree with you to an extent but "best" in this case is not an opinion. One combo can do everything the other one can and then even more that the other can't do. I'm not sure how that makes it debatable but maybe I'm missing something. I definitely agree how much those things matter is down to opinion though.

I believe I'm firm on this because if I was dude and I came in here and asked what he asked and everyone pushed max 6 combo on me and I bought it I'd be mad af if I ever learned about the castle combo later and didn't buy it instead lol. Especially since he wants to race his friend as well. How can we just ignore the multiple benefits of one combo to favor another?

Not trying to come off mean or anything so I hope I'm not. I'm just trying to keep it real for the op because I'd want someone to do the same for me if I came in asking the question. I would be cursing you guys in my dreams if I was him and listened to all of you :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I agree with you to an extent but "best" in this case is not an opinion. One combo can do everything the other one can and then even more that the other can't do. I'm not sure how that makes it debatable but maybe I'm missing something. I definitely agree how much those things matter is down to opinion though.
yeah.... I'm with ya..... nice to have choices..... I know one long term basher that, in his words, "don't need or miss all that fancy crap". Im not so sure I feel the same way, but I do see your point ......more features with Castle.... I guess if thats what the original poster is into, its a strong vote for Castle.

I believe I'm firm on this because if I was dude and I came in here and asked what he asked and everyone pushed max 6 combo on me and I bought it I'd be mad af if I ever learned about the castle combo later and didn't buy it instead lol. Especially since he wants to race his friend as well. How can we just ignore the multiple benefits of one combo to favor another?

Not trying to come off mean or anything so I hope I'm not. I'm just trying to keep it real for the op because I'd want someone to do the same for me if I came in asking the question. I would be cursing you guys in my dreams if I was him and listened to all of you :ROFLMAO:
I completely agree. He asked for the "ultimate" combo. The Max6 combo is great but the Castle is better.
Hmm the 56/87 does not and its what I'd recommend.
Ah, I thought you meant 4985. You're right about the 5687 not fitting the stock motor mount. Not sure I'd put that heavy behemoth in a 1/8 basher though.

I'm unlucky with the XLX2 like that apparently lol. I've never had a problem with a 1717 motor though. Regardless, he said money wasn't a problem and the castle combo has multiple pros over the max 6 combo. Maybe they don't mean much to you, but I bash with my castle combo and all that stuff is great to me and they're things the max 6 combo can't do. The not being able to apply throttle instantly while rolling backwards is a big enough annoyance to me for me to pay the premium every time.
These are the exact things that make the Max6 a better buy for some people. The Max6 has protections installed to prevent damage. If you run a Max6 hot it will cut off before you damage it. For a newer driver these are some money saving protections. I have both and the MMX8S is a more precision driver. If had started with it I may have burned a few up not knowing what I was doing. The Max6 is mistake friendly and don’t require as much knowledge of heat.
They’re both great and have plenty of power to throw a 6s around. Put fans on either one.
Just my opinion though. Everyone’s different.

The Max6 is mistake friendly and don’t require as much knowledge of heat.
How do you mean? I’d say it’s the opposite.

Both ESCs have thermal protection and shut down if they get too hot.

Only the Castle has motor thermal protection. The hobbywing does not.

These are the exact things that make the Max6 a better buy for some people. The Max6 has protections installed to prevent damage. If you run a Max6 hot it will cut off before you damage it. For a newer driver these are some money saving protections. I have both and the MMX8S is a more precision driver. If had started with it I may have burned a few up not knowing what I was doing. The Max6 is mistake friendly and don’t require as much knowledge of heat.
They’re both great and have plenty of power to throw a 6s around. Put fans on either one.
Just my opinion though. Everyone’s different.
The mmx8s has over temp protection as well and not only does the esc have over temp protection just like the max 6 it also goes a step further since you can set the temp cutoff for the motor as well. I'll even go as far to say the mmx8s even runs noticeably cooler, so you don't even have to worry about it as much.

Funny you mention being new as when I was fresh into the hobby the mmx8s was the first esc upgrade I ever got haha.

Why do you want such an overkill 5687 motor??? That's way too much motor and weight for a K6S. Just my opinion. I would never do that.
Never you say, i've seen both IRL, the 56/87 is better in everyway... Have you seen both IRL... It's not overkill dude lmao, let me show you overkill.... A $500 or $600 motor, these ground vehicles are chump change, pshhhh.... Can you wrap your fingers around your motor? Ok then its not overkill!!!!

The 56/87 is the IMO the best motor for bashing in a Kraton!!

3 - Copy.jpg
320743054_698661981731263_684512423910570658_n.jpg

Never you say, i've seen both IRL, the 56/87 is better in everyway... Have you seen both IRL... It's not overkill dude lmao, let me show you overkill.... A $500 or $600 motor, these ground vehicles are chump change, pshhhh.... Can you wrap your fingers around your motor? Ok then its not overkill!!!!

View attachment 270915View attachment 270916
I like your style. Which motor mount do you use for the 5687 in the Kraton?

That extra weight definitely increases risk of breaking stuff but not a problem if you land it!

20220801_013027.jpg

TP 5660 (5692) 1460 kv & MMX8s with pps mount in Talion XL

That extra weight definitely increases risk of breaking stuff but not a problem if you land it!

TP 5660 (5692) 1460 kv & MMX8s with pps mount in Talion XL
Love it lmao, I don't care about weight either. It is what it is, and we want what we want. When it breaks as all things do we fix it. SMILE ON FACE WHILE DOING IT!!! That's what matters!!

I'm doing an epic CF notorious build, sure it will be lighter, but I don't care about that def not why I'm doing it, the build puts a smile on my face...

But why? A 4985 is already more power than you can realistically use in the 6s platform, the 5687 is just adding weight, drivetrain and suspension wear.

An rc car that can do a standing double backflip with a 4985 is a bit different to a 700 series 3D helicopter where head speed is king.

Inb4 have you seen both, I have both

But why? A 4985 is already more power than you can realistically use in the 6s platform, the 5687 is just adding weight, drivetrain and suspension wear.

An rc car that can do a standing double backflip with a 4985 is a bit different to a 700 series 3D helicopter where head speed is king.

Inb4 have you seen both, I have both
I have to disagree again, I have seen a Kraton completely abused with the 5687 and its just fine. Next I suppose youll say this vehicle wont need exb diffs lol. It absolutely will no matter what motor the OP goes with...

You have both but you don't have an EXB. I question the validity of all your statements Sir.

I have to disagree again, I have seen a Kraton completely abused with the 5687 and its just fine. Next I suppose youll say this vehicle wont need exb diffs lol. It absolutely will no matter what motor the OP goes with...

You have both but you don't have an EXB. I question the validity of all your statements Sir.

Personally I don’t see the point in that big of a motor in the 6s platform. Seems like an easy way to add issues with bending motor mounts and more stress on the drivetrain. Neat to see somebody doing it though.

Have to remember everyone bashes different and what might work for some, doesn’t for others.

Personally I don’t see the point in that big of a motor in the 6s platform. Seems like an easy way to add issues with bending motor mounts and more stress on the drivetrain. Neat to see somebody doing it though.

Have to remember everyone bashes different and what might work for some, doesn’t for others.
Do you not see the TP 56/92 motor above that's even bigger lolol. Also a 4985 is big as well on a 6s frame. Any of these could run a 1/5th scale. The "little bit" of extra motor in the 56/87 gives you more wiggle room for ease of use and load balancing.

Seriously its not that much bigger lol

Do you not see the TP 56/92 motor above that's even bigger lolol. Also a 4985 is big as well on a 6s frame. Any of these could run a 1/5th scale. The "little bit" of extra motor in the 56/87 gives you more wiggle room for ease of use and load balancing.

Ok you win, these 1/8th scale rigs definitely need a 1/5th scale motor. I’m thinking why stop there, I’m stuffing a max4 combo in mine.

Can’t agree with you there. The 5687 is much heavier. Over twice the weight of the stock motor - an extra pound is nothing to scoff at. And 56% heavier than the 4985, plus whatever motor mount upgrade you install.

And yes, I do own a 5687.

Can’t agree with you there. The 5687 is much heavier. Over twice the weight of the stock motor - an extra pound is nothing to scoff at. And 56% heavier than the 4985, plus whatever motor mount upgrade you install.

And yes, I do own a 5687.
I do agree with you that a 20oz motor is much lighter then a 32oz one lol, I wasn't really speaking to the weight though, just meant dimensions.

I do agree with you that a 20oz motor is much lighter then a 32oz one lol, I wasn't really speaking to the weight though, just meant dimensions.

Soooooo… if you weren’t speaking about weight when you mentioned load balancing, what were you talking about? I think most are more concerned with the weight of the motor rather than the physical dimensions of it.

I already ordered the max4 combo so now I’m gonna be running around like I got two fat chicks on the passenger side.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back