Kraton Looking for opinions on the ultimate ESC/Motor combo for a Kraton 6S EXB

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

05king

Reaction score
I searched around and didn't see really what I was looking for. I am sure this has been asked alot. I am not looking for a budget buy more looking for the best all around ultimate option. Seems the Max6 combo is popular. My buddy is buying an RTR Kraton and I sure don't want to be slower than he is. I will be bashing etc but i have some acreage and we plan on building a track with some long straights. I would like to pick a combo that is much stronger than the RTR in both speed, temp and bashing. I do have an older Tekin RX8 Gen2 TT2316 4030B 2050KV. I was going to put that in my 1/8 scale buggy and buy something new for my Kraton. Any help sure would be appreciated. I see where some folks are going with an 8S setup buy using a 6S battery?

I searched around and didn't see really what I was looking for. I am sure this has been asked alot. I am not looking for a budget buy more looking for the best all around ultimate option. Seems the Max6 combo is popular. My buddy is buying an RTR Kraton and I sure don't want to be slower than he is. I will be bashing etc but i have some acreage and we plan on building a track with some long straights. I would like to pick a combo that is much stronger than the RTR in both speed, temp and bashing. I do have an older Tekin RX8 Gen2 TT2316 4030B 2050KV. I was going to put that in my 1/8 scale buggy and buy something new for my Kraton. Any help sure would be appreciated. I see where some folks are going with an 8S setup buy using a 6S battery?
MMX8S with the 1717 motor, or the Max 6 and 1650KV motor 23T pinion. Over 50mph on grass just on 6s. Don't do 8s. Too much for this rig. Keep an eye on the motor temps. I out some fans on my HW 1650KV motor. I prefer the HW stuff for bashing. The MMX8S and 1717 motor are not bad either. Just more expensive since it's more high tech.

As others have said, the MMX8S/1717 1650kv combo is the best option.

For something cheaper, get the Max6/4985 1650kv combo.

For an even cheaper option, buy a Firma 160 ESC and 4092 1650/1730kv motor.

Even the last one is much more powerful than a stock system.

My vote will always be hobbywing, not a castle fan at all. Get a Max 6 combo and never look back. You will need a new motor mount or to have the accuracy of my buddy to make new holes in the current motor mount to get this beast to fit.

Is it just me or is everyone ignoring the fact that he said he wanted the best combo. :eek:

Is it just me or is everyone ignoring the fact that he said he wanted the best combo. :eek:
Ignoring him saying "best all around" and being the Max6 combo isn't dirt cheap and imo best all around, what do you mean? XLX2 and TP motor.... No thanks lolol!!!

My vote will always be hobbywing, not a castle fan at all. Get a Max 6 combo and never look back. You will need a new motor mount or to have the accuracy of my buddy to make new holes in the current motor mount to get this beast to fit.
The Max6 combo fits the stock motor mount just fine.

I've had both. I didn't see any difference in speed and punch when both my Mojave EXB trucks were using these combos to be fair. I compared them. To me they are equall. Less the Sensored stuff and more control with the MMX8S, plus higher voltage for super high end servos that I would never use in such a small rig.

Ignoring him saying "best all around" and being the Max6 combo isn't dirt cheap and imo best all around, what do you mean? XLX2 and TP motor.... No thanks lolol!!!
In no way is the max 6 combo better than the mmx8s combo. If you can name even 2 reasons why it's better, I'll be surprised.
I've had both. I didn't see any difference in speed and punch when both my Mojave EXB trucks were using these combos to be fair. I compared them. To me they are equall. Less the Sensored stuff and more control with the MMX8S, plus higher voltage for super high end servos that I would never use in such a small rig.
That means they aren't equal. The tuning options alone means they aren't equal. The smoothness in the feeling of the drive means they're not equal too.

The fact I can instantly reverse on the castle esc and the fact I can instantly apply throttle while rolling means its definitely not equal.

Max 6 combo and gear up to regain the speed back from the lower kv.
just checked out your YT vids for t/he 1st time..... U R crazy man !! (In a good speed racer way)

Wish I had an interstate that was long & straight with little traffic like that ....... around my neck of the woods..... no such thing....

Good job , fun to watch ..... (Like @Armarookie43 vids and his bashcapades )

Last edited:
In no way is the max 6 combo better than the mmx8s combo. If you can name even 2 reasons why it's better, I'll be surprised.

That means they aren't equal. The tuning options alone means they aren't equal. The smoothness in the feeling of the drive means they're not equal too!
Just my opinion, but the stuff that the MMX8S offers for a premium is not worth it for a basher. Including the sensored stuff. That 1717 motor is way over priced. But it's just my opinion 😂👍. I wouldn't buy another one of those since I had issues with it. Trying it on 8s is what killed it. I tried the 1650KV motor on 8s and it worked fine. The 1717 only lasted 5 minutes before it burned up. I actually killed TWO 1717 motors like that. I'm extremely unlucky I guess. Same vehicle : Mojave EXB. My personal experience.

I guess it depends on what the OP wants in the combo. Its good to have choices... I won't say what stuff I have in my rigs.... they work for me and I am satisfied. The folks on here , yourself included, have given OP good insight on several choices they can make.

What is "best" for me may not be worth a Sh_$ to someone else....

I have the Castle MMX 8s and 1717 1650 system. I originally had the motor on the stock motor mount (as pictured), but I've since replaced the motor mount with a PPS mount.

Kraton motor and ESC.jpg

PPS motor mount in Kraton.jpg

just checked out your YT vids for t/he 1st time..... U R crazy man !! (In a good speed racer way)

With I had an interstate that was long & straight with little traffic like that ....... around my neck of the woods..... no such thing....

Good job , fun to watch ..... (Like @Armarookie43 vids and his bashcapades )

Thanks man! Pushing for some world records later this year on 2s, 3s, and 4s.

Just my opinion, but the stuff that the MMX8S offers for a premium is not worth it for a basher. Including the sensored stuff. That 1717 motor is way over priced. But it's just my opinion 😂👍. I wouldn't buy another one of those since I had issues with it. Trying it on 8s is what killed it. I tried the 1650KV motor on 8s and it worked fine. The 1717 only lasted 5 minutes before it burned up. I actually killed TWO 1717 motors like that. I'm extremely unlucky I guess. Same vehicle : Mojave EXB. My personal experience.
I'm unlucky with the XLX2 like that apparently lol. I've never had a problem with a 1717 motor though. Regardless, he said money wasn't a problem and the castle combo has multiple pros over the max 6 combo. Maybe they don't mean much to you, but I bash with my castle combo and all that stuff is great to me and they're things the max 6 combo can't do. The not being able to apply throttle instantly while rolling backwards is a big enough annoyance to me for me to pay the premium every time.

That means they aren't equal. The tuning options alone means they aren't equal. The smoothness in the feeling of the drive means they're not equal too.

The fact I can instantly reverse on the castle esc and the fact I can instantly apply throttle while rolling means its definitely not equal.
Look I have 200 amp and 160 amp castles "12s to 14s", and 160amp hobbywings also "12s to 14s", If we are slapping down the best let me school you with my $800 Kontronik Kosmik, lolol.

2 - Copy.jpg

My vote per this OP's original request is still HobbyWing!!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back