Typhon Looking for recomendations to keep son interested

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveko23

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
So I recently dusted off my 5+ year old Traxxas mini revo 1/16 VXL and my son started having a blast driving it around our street and over some minor ramps. Then I think we blew out the engine and it's at the hobby shop because I wasn't sure I knew how to fix it. While we were at the hobby shop I asked my son if he'd be interested in building a kit to learn more about how these are put together and as something we could do together. Our options were pretty limited and we picked up a 2wd Traxxas Slash. We had a great time putting that together and I'm not starting to look into what's next. I think it'd be fun to continue down the building a kit road because we had fun working on that first kit, and it seems like Tekno is a solid brand on that front, but I think I'm looking at around $1000 to get that all ready to race. So I started looking into Arrma as well. I know they are all RTR, but maybe that fine as well because we're bound to break parts and we'd be taking it apart and putting it back together in that event. So I'm trying to figure out what would be best for us and am currently looking at the Typhoon 3s, Typhoon 6s, Talion 6s, Kraton 6s. I'm kinda leaning towards the Typhoon so we'd have a buggy style RC and my son is mostly driving in the street currently and just like driving around "fast" (fast is currently defined as the speed the mini revo goes with the 3s lipo, which I'd guess is in the 30-40mph range?). But, I'm not sure where my son's interests are going to go next. Obviously the Kraton or Talion would be better in grass, and maybe not quite as nimble on the road? And then between the 3s and 6s Typhoon, what am I really getting with the 6s for the extra money? I'm not sure we'd ever be running full speed so I don't think I need 60+ mph ability, but if it's generally a better car overall even in the 30mph range maybe it's worth it?

Any input would be great! Thanks!

Typhon is a lot of buggy for the money, not too bad on mown grass but really goes on the asphalt and dirt. The Tekno kit would be great fun down the road if you and your son really get the bug. For a grand though you could buy two typhons or typhon and a granite or outcast 4s for a different kind of fun.

The typhons are Solid buggies the 3s is basic and easy to go and mess around with but the 6s will have a lot more options in terms of tuning and upgrades.

If you want to keep the cost down go 3s and run it till it breaks then upgrade. I still haven’t broken my stock senton mega (besides the slipper) in the past 3 months on 3s with 2.8” tires. I can’t say I’m nice to it either.
Yes the shocks leak but I put thicker o rings in mine and it seems to work fine. however they aren’t set up very well from the factory and cause the shorter wheelbase trucks to love cartwheeling on bumps and jumps.

While it's not as involved as putting together a whole kit, you could get a set of rubber sealed bearings and swap all of them out in your Arrma. Gets you more familiar with the truck and would probably be a good father son project.

Thanks for the replies. I think I am leaning towards an Arrma over that Tekno, while I do think any of the tekno's would be a sweet project, maybe at this point in time dropping $1k isn't the best idea, perhaps after my son shows continued interest in the hobby that would be more appropriate. I do like the idea of getting and arrma and doing some upgrade project on it to get familiar with the car. So now it's just a matter of which vehicle to get and maybe that's a question my son should answer as well, if he likes the look of one of them I suppose that's as good a reason as any to go with one over another. I still am torn on the 3s vs 6s Typhoon if we go that route though. $300 vs $479 is a decent difference.

Put me in the vote for the 6s typhon. It really is a heck of deal for a 6s buggy. If he continues to show interest though maybe not as much in a buggy, you can always stretch it, truggify it, mojavify it, the list goes on. Plus with it, you can run it on 4s and if he gets bored with the speed, run 6s instead of upgrading everything in the 3s to handle more power.

I like my 3s Typhon but am looking at getting a 6s for my next RC. Not sure between the Talion and the Kraton but going to be one of those two. I agree with SarsK9. Running a 6s on 4s for a while to get used to it and then putting 6s in it would be a good way to keep interest. Depending on your son's age/driving ability, you could also let him run it on 4s and then put 6s in when you want to take it out.

Thanks for the replies. I think I am leaning towards an Arrma over that Tekno, while I do think any of the tekno's would be a sweet project, maybe at this point in time dropping $1k isn't the best idea, perhaps after my son shows continued interest in the hobby that would be more appropriate. I do like the idea of getting and arrma and doing some upgrade project on it to get familiar with the car. So now it's just a matter of which vehicle to get and maybe that's a question my son should answer as well, if he likes the look of one of them I suppose that's as good a reason as any to go with one over another. I still am torn on the 3s vs 6s Typhoon if we go that route though. $300 vs $479 is a decent difference.
Typhon 6s is an awesome RC. I have no doubts that you will love it. The great thing that you may not know is that parts are interchangeable between the 6s vehicles.
You can buy arms and axles and make it into any other of the 6s vehicles. Same with chassis and center dog bones. (+1 Kraton/talion or larger with Mojave / Limitless/ infraction)
Diffs are all the same bolt pattern and bolt right in. The big tire vehicles run a different differential ratio to compensate for the large diameter tire.

This is my favorite thing about the 6 line along with the aftermarket support. M2C makes a parts line-up to make the thing nearly indestructible for 100 foot jumps etc...

Oh yeah and Arrma likes locktite so get some good MIP wrenches ;)

Last edited:
Although I do not own a Typhon 6s, I have seen them in action. As others have stated, run it in 4s until he loses his itchy trigger finger (once he does, tell us how he accomplished this as many of us are still trying to master this area hehehe).

If you end up going with one of the 3s vehicles I will mention that most of the core parts between the 3/4s vehicles are interchangeable between models, not everything between every model but a lot. I've enjoyed customizing my 3s granites a ton and have added 3s Typhon arms (wider stance), 3s Typhon rear wing assembly, 4s power systems, and body swaps.

Same thing can be said for the 6s lineup of course but at a higher price point and more hardcore in terms of construction/power/complexity.

Go for a 6s typhon but run on 4s it’s much more compatible parts if you decide to get a second 6s. The 3s and 6s typhons are the same size FYI
The 3s and 6s are the same basic size, but the OP would be way better off getting a 6s Typhon, and the running it on 3s/4s as his son gets more skill, then when he is ready he can drop 6s in it, and start the parts chase lol.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back