Looking for some durable 40mm fans

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is the Power Products fan on the MMX8S with the @PPS-RC fan plate.

A594CEA9-D7B7-4DF4-9467-0A46988977F6.jpeg

477C31CF-A9DB-40CD-9E47-6ACFDF7918D6.jpeg

No, I’ll send you bonafide Canadian Loonie old school mail style...?

ps.
show me the label under your fan......

Aluminum fan shrouds are really nice and blingy, but they still contain the same shite fans I have in my castle 2028 shroud.....these chincy plastic blades are simply not made to handle these forces, they’re made for cooling CPU’s at rest in your computer desk.

rant over,
cheers,
kev

I don't disagree with you. Would be nice to see a carbon fiber fan blade or something equally light but more durable. That said, every fan I've busted so far, the frame itself was broken. The thin stanchions that hold the motor. On occasion, I have a missing fan blade, but those stanchions are what always break for me. So an alloy frame helps in that regard quite a bit.

Has anyone tried running a heatsink only, possibly with air ducted through the body right to the heatsink?

Our Yeah Racing fans both broke at the bottom supports. They are mounted to a piece of aluminum bar with holes cutout completely.....I might try making another bar with the holes cutout to match the underside of the fan....more support for the bottom supports of the fan case.

Im still kinda curious how a passively cooled unit would work, provided you could somehow duct air flow to it.

And another option - just assume we will break every fan we use, make a cheap setup that uses common PC component/case fans. Like a Delta 40mm ultra high speed for 7 bux. DC to DC step down converter to get 12V from the main battery pack, no need for a separate 2s or 3s.

Has anyone tried running a heatsink only, possibly with air ducted through the body right to the heatsink?

Our Yeah Racing fans both broke at the bottom supports. They are mounted to a piece of aluminum bar with holes cutout completely.....I might try making another bar with the holes cutout to match the underside of the fan....more support for the bottom supports of the fan case.

Im still kinda curious how a passively cooled unit would work, provided you could somehow duct air flow to it.

And another option - just assume we will break every fan we use, make a cheap setup that uses common PC component/case fans. Like a Delta 40mm ultra high speed for 7 bux. DC to DC step down converter to get 12V from the main battery pack, no need for a separate 2s or 3s.
Yeah, I tried just a heat sink by accident... cost me a motor. The fan died and by the end of the packs the motor was at 254 with dead magnets. It was the hobbywing 50mm fan heat sink. It's since been replaced with a dual fan unit. Figure if 1 fan dies, I still have something trying to help in there.

I was thinking on making some holes in the body, and maybe use pvc tube to 'guide' the airflow form the hole directly to the motor, or use a lexan flap to 'bend' the airflow towards the motor. But since I ran on sand I wanted as little openings in the car; I ended up with installing aluminium framed fans on the heatsink.

I’ve been wanting to try the game changer fans. Earl Moorhead really likes them, so much he put them on his Mojave. Real curious how they hold up to serious bashing?

If you’re looking for the ultimate 40mm rc fan watch this
I’ve been wanting to try the game changer fans. Earl Moorhead really likes them, so much he put them on his Mojave. Real curious how they hold up to serious bashing?

Actually the fans in this vid are 17$ and they’re pushing 30cfm
How can you justify spending 75$ on 3 fans that cost 5$ each and don’t equal the power of a single 17$ fan

these are the fans I used in that vid https://www.arrow.com/en/products/9hv0412p3k001/sanyo-denki
How can you justify spending 75$ on 3 fans that cost 5$ each and don’t equal the power of a single 17$ fan

these are the fans I used in that vid https://www.arrow.com/en/products/9hv0412p3k001/sanyo-denki

I’m sharing because I want the community to have options outside of paying crazy costs for crap quality and performance fans

Last edited:

My main man @Turbobrick already shed some light on this topic for me. I’ve since made some of my own high power fans. ?
Thanks for sharing tho! ?

I’m sharing because I want the community to have options outside of paying crazy costs for crap quality and performance fans
While the Delta fans aren’t aluminum framed, they are by far the most powerful fans I’ve owned. I have other Sanyo fans too. These below are $16 and could be speed controlled with the proper controller.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/delta-electronics/FFB0412EN-00Y2E/7491483

I’ve yet to find a fan that can handle the torture I put them through... ?
Hence my tag line (The destroyer of rc fans)

Last edited:
I’ve tried all the delta fans and they just don’t make a fan as powerful as the Sanyo 29cfm 25k rpm fan

the aluminum cased fan is 17$ and offers way better performance

it’s kind of a no brainer

hammer down
By the way these Sanyo fans can also be speed regulated but why bother? You just want it running balls out all the time

try one of these fans and you won’t be disappointed

I just ordered 10 of those delta fans to try

I’ll do a head to head comparison of them and the Sanyo fans
They’re ratings look amazing so thank you for sharing jondilly1974
I’ll do a vid of them head to head
I’m only interested in finding the most powerful bang for the buck that’s all

Last edited:
Hell I just buy a dozen cheap fans for $10 or so and put ends on them. With as quickly as I go through fans. Even with @Mr.Duke fan mod. They last longer but not more then a couple packs. @jondilly1974 the whole center hub will pop off of a fan. They are just pressed on. Is that something that can be printed in a flexible material? I know it won't have the same cfm but if it works half as good. It's better then not knowing and overheating a motor.

I’ve tried all the delta fans and they just don’t make a fan as powerful as the Sanyo 29cfm 25k rpm fan

the aluminum cased fan is 17$ and offers way better performance

it’s kind of a no brainer

hammer down
By the way these Sanyo fans can also be speed regulated but why bother? You just want it running balls out all the time

try one of these fans and you won’t be disappointed

I just ordered 10 of those delta fans to try

I’ll do a head to head comparison of them and the Sanyo fans
They’re ratings look amazing so thank you for sharing jondilly1974
I’ll do a vid of them head to head
I’m only interested in finding the most powerful bang for the buck that’s all
Hey, I'm guessing you are selling the Tsunami fan. Where can I get them or how do I make them, and what do I need to connect to 3s, as I'm running a single 6s pack? I haven't seen any adapters that connect to the balance plug

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back