Granite Looking for your Opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ktm1290

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Typhon 6s
Just went and bought me a Xmas present. Mine until the kids are old enough to have it, Wanted to confirm what i have been reading here and watching on U tube, Just want to make sure i have the right battery and charging system to get me started, Wont be bashing this so hopefully i wont need to many spare or upgraded parts to soon, But this is all new to me, Before i get another Battery ordered i just want to confirm I'm on the right track.. Thanks!!
images.jpg
battery.jpg
charger.jpg
cooler.jpg

Kool! Thanks for the reinforcement in my battery decisions, Looking forward to ripping up the back yard. So for a second battery should i just get another Spektrum, and charge them back to back? This whole Battery thing is a Hobby on its own, lots to know...Thanks folks!!
And Yes the 1290 Ktm is a beast of a bike! Tucked away till spring now!

Kool! Thanks for the reinforcement in my battery decisions, Looking forward to ripping up the back yard. So for a second battery should i just get another Spektrum, and charge them back to back? This whole Battery thing is a Hobby on its own, lots to know...Thanks folks!!
And Yes the 1290 Ktm is a beast of a bike! Tucked away till spring now!
I use smart batts....because they are smarter than me when it comes to charging batteries.:ROFLMAO:
The only thing I change is the charge rate. I go lower than default.

It is certainly a good idea to have a second battery. Many people like to have couple batteries per car.

If you ever buy a 6S car (don't kid yourself, you probably will), you will be happy to have a pair of matching batteries, so buying the exact same model would ensure some sort of futureproofness (is that a word?) if you ever need to use two 3S batteries in a car.

You will see a lot of negative opinions here about Spektrum batteries and electronics in general. People say they are too expensive for the average performances they offer and that the Smart stuff is just a gimmick. This is coming from members here with a lot of RC experience, so there's probably some truth to that.

Personally, I own 6 3S Spektrum batteries (4x 50C and 2x 100C). They are working flawlessly...much better than some Dynamite Reaction 2 I bought nearly 2 years ago, which both failed prematurely. Yes, the Spektrum are more expensive at the LHS compared to other options on Amazon...but I choose to support my LHS with the batteries and electronics, while I prefer buying spares at Jenny's and upgrades directly from aftermarket companies like M2C and KC-RC.

Thanks! like the idea of getting a matching pair of 3s for future options.

@Ktm1290, not much of a Smart Spektrum guy myself at all. On the contrary. Don't need to go into why. Not important here.
You def picked the matching combos well. (y)Your choice.(y)
If I was a Smart guy however, I would also consider the Smart Lipo Programmer to round out your Smart gear.
Basically it is a Lipo checker on Smart steroids and then some. And every RC'er needs a Lipo checker, regardless of the brand/type of lipos you run.

https://www.spektrumrc.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=SPMXCA200
Enjoy.
:cool:

Ok Done!! Ill be picking one of those up as well. I love honest free advice, now ill just have to find out what it does and how to use it!!:D Thanks!!

The credentials he has under his name speaks Volumes!! This Literally just showed up at the door...Wont open till Xmas!!
20211215_170024.jpg

The Granite is an excellent choice! You will have a lot of fun with it. They are simple, easy to work on and very tough.

I suggest you browse the forum to check out some recommended verifications and tweaks you could/should do on your car before running it or at least check it sooner than later.

Things like:
- Adjusting the gear mesh (Must do IMO...they generally have too tight mesh out of the box)
- Adding threadlocker to the screw connecting the driveshafts to the hub (to prevent your wheels to fall off)
- Adjusting the servo endpoints (to prevent your servo from burning)
- Topping-off the fluid in the shocks and diffs (they are often low on fluid out of the box)
- Reinforcing the body with drywall tape + shoe-goo (important to avoid destroying your body prematurely)
- etc.

I'd say only the gear mesh and servo endpoint adjustments should be done before driving it.

I also suggest you buy a good hex driver set and check out lots of Youtube videos to learn how to repair and maintain it. It's easy, but it helps to watch good tutorials. Many people prefer the wrenching to the driving. Personally, I prefer wrenching...I mainly like driving to appreciate how much better my last repair/upgrade/modification made the car work. :)

For the gear mesh, endpoint adjustment, shock rebuilds, you should check out the RazorRC channel. That's where I learned most of the maintenance stuff on the Arrma 3S line.

Great Info flipside, Thanks for the links!! Yes I figured I should take it apart and get to know it before i learn to drive it :cool:I Have ordered some tools and looking forward to everything coming together. Battery and charger will be 2 weeks by the sounds of things, Lots of things to learn, I have rebuilt real cars and Motorcycles a few times so this is gonna be a Fun Hobby! Thanks!!

OK, if you have experience on real cars and motorcycles, you'll have no problem on an RC car. Your main challenge will be be to recalibrate your muscles so that you avoid overtorquing and stripping the plastics. :D

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back