Big Rock Looking to buy my first RC Car - Arrma Kraton 4S, Granite 3S or Big Rock 3S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uz3r

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
Hi All, Im new hear - I hope I am posting in the right forum! I have no experience with RC cars but my Dad recently purchased an Arrma Typhon 3S. I had a play with it and fell in LOVE so I want to buy my own RC Car!

I've done research and decided I want an Arrma 4x4 truck/truggy and so have narrowed it down to the either the Kraton 4S, Granite 3S or Big Rock 3S but not sure which to pull the trigger on. I'd love some feedback on my thoughts on each below

Kraton 4S
- More expensive than I'd like to spend on my first car but I could stretch if it really is justifiable
- Potentially too big and fast for my first car, but I think the remote has a 50/75/100% throttle limiter switch on it - so I could use this to ease into it?
- Love the look of it

Granite 3S
- Good price-point
- Love the look of it
- Im worried the high ride height and short wheel base will mean I'll be doing wheelies, spinning out and flipping more than I want (we like wheelies but not all the time?)

Big Rock 3S
- Good price point
- My least favorite looking of the three (the wheels looks horrible to me)- but I like the rest of it.
- The slightly longer wheelbase might mean less issues with wheelies and spin outs? But I've been seeing lots of reports about it being prone to flipping when turning on throttle.

I'll be driving on all sorts - grass, dirt, bitumen so I guess Im after versatility and stability (as much as you can get from a truck/truggy). I might try jumps but not for a while until I feel comfortable and I'll be keeping it small time for quite a while.

I've seen people modify the Big Rock to widen its stance and put new wheels on it which solves my problems with it - but then that requires me to spend an amount of money that means I could just buy the Kraton 4S straight away?

I'd love to hear thoughts, recommendations and suggestions on my line of thinking from you who have experience!

I don't own any of those. I started with Senton 3s, and already had my sights in Kraton 6s. I'd skip the 3s if I had to do it all over again. I know it doesn't help with your questions but thought I'd share my experience. Senton was fun but I wanted to faster and bash harder. The Kraton was the answer. I still bash the Senton, usually while I'm charging 6s batteries.

I would go BRCC out of those choices. I would say if you want something more than a Granite or BRCC, go 6S Kraton and just buy 4S lipos until you’re ready for 6S. The 4S Kraton just isn’t going to be as durable with those long a-arms.

Kraton, u will get used to the speed. I bought the kraton 4s as a first car and in the beginning i was shocked cuz of the speed, but after 3 drives i was used to it.

Welcome to the forum!

It sounds like the BRCC is the right choice out of the 3 for you. You can buy the granite wheels to give it a better look and still be less wheelie prone than the granite and they are a bit wider so will help handling a little. it will still traction roll in turns if you go too fast.

Kraton 4s may be a solid rig but right now there are some issues i see repeatedly on the forum and it seems stock can be an issue for replacement 4s parts needed. if you want the room to grow into the truck i would agree with jondilly and spend the little extra for a Kraton 6s and just run 4s packs.

I myself got a senton 3s and have since cut the body and put monster truck tires on it with the 10mm wide hexes from hot racing and love it, the mt tires and width increase woke the truck up and its basically a brcc minus the body. I went with the senton cause it was in stock and i didnt want to save longer for the 6s truck and i would do it again. now the kid can have the 3s truck when i upgrade! =)

any way you go i don't think you will be unhappy! Pull the trigger and have fun!

I too recommend the Big Rock Crew Cab (BRCC) just at the moment. If part's supply was better for the 4s line then I would say go the Kraton but it isn't and you don't want to break something and have the truck sitting idle for weeks. The 6S line is the best but costs more for sure.

By staying with the 3S line there will be some benefit of sharing some parts with your dad if either of you has breakages which will be a cost saving in those situations. Plus the BRCC looks tough.

That's my opinion. I know choosing a car is not easy, just keep saving until you are settled in your mind. Nothing worse than buying something then wishing you had bought the other model later on.

Out of those 3, I would go with either the BRCC or Granite.

My 3s Senton is essentially a BRCC now and I enjoy driving it. It's the longer wheelbase chassis, with granite wheels on it.

Another vote for the BRCC out of those 3. My Big Rock wheelies like crazy as is so I can't imagine how bad that is with the Granite (Though it could be fun!). I added the Typhon 3s A-Arms to the BRCC and it is an absolute blast! Kraton 4s has just had too many reports of problems for me to consider it. If you really want a Kraton save up and go with the Kraton 6s!

The Granite isn't as twitchy as you would think. The difference between it and the BRCC is far less than say the difference between the Outcast 6s and the Kraton 6s. The BRCC definitely needs a tire change. The stock ones are not very good. Way too narrow.

While I don’t have a BRCC, I do have a Typhon and a Granite. Both will wheelie. It’s hard to go anywhere without a wheelie on the Granite. The Typhon will go hard until about 40-45mph and then it really flips, just like the Infraction did for JayTee.

The Granite isn't as twitchy as you would think. The difference between it and the BRCC is far less than say the difference between the Outcast 6s and the Kraton 6s. The BRCC definitely needs a tire change. The stock ones are not very good. Way too narrow.
I just bought some new wheels/tires for my BRCC. Can't wait to see how they turn out. I went in a different direction than most have with the tires. Got a set of Pro-Line Hole Shot MTX's going on StableMaxx rims. Should be interesting if nothing else!

Thanks for your feedback everyone - great community here!

I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Big Rock! Super excited to get into it! I’ll give it a go running it stock for a bit and then look at modding it to widen the wheel base and put sexier wheels on it later on!

I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Big Rock! Super excited to get into it! I’ll give it a go running it stock for a bit and then look at modding it to widen the wheel base and put sexier wheels on it later on!
If you want to widen it and expand your wheel and tire selection at the same time, look into the HR 17mm x 10mm hub extenders. Now 10mm extension doesn’t sound like much, but it kills two birds with one stone for a low price.

https://hot-racing.com/?partnumber=ATF117XT02;c=1385

Great choice, but you can't go wrong with either of them.

3s BLX. Best value out of the box especially if you get last year's model for the radio.
I love the BRCC so much and just got a Granite second hand this weekend.
Tires as mentioned for the brcc and prolly extensions and get away from 14mm. This is almost a necessary from the start. Still fun on dirt and short grass stock.
Both trucks and all 3s BLX line is solid and very worth it. 4s line needs to grow a couple years....too new.

Yep BRCC, glad you made that choice. Bought one myself 2 months ago, what a great car, but the wider stance is a must as you will find out in corners.
Besides that, i love the car. Maybe in the future i will paint a spare body, since the blue is kinda boring. But blue is easy to spot in the woods.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back