Kraton Looking to drop a 1650kv in my Kraton 6s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK thanks a lot! So I think in new condition it comes like max/max/min or something like that. That means in the rear it acts totally normal as with low viscosity oil?
Sorry writing this here...

Not sure if the new ones come with LSD or open rear diff. I actually prefer it with all 3 LSD running Max/Max/Min. You just have to use much lighter weight fluid. Roughly Max LSD = fluid viscosity x5 and Min = x3. Roughly. That means 100k in the center on Max works like 500k - but only after it starts to slip quickly enough to engage the LSD plates. I am down to 5k in the rear with Min and I like it a lot. No diffing out and consistent air control. For my tastes and bashing I find it far superior to open diffs. If I was racing I would probably go open... but I am not.

Not sure if the new ones come with LSD or open rear diff. I actually prefer it with all 3 LSD running Max/Max/Min. You just have to use much lighter weight fluid. Roughly Max LSD = fluid viscosity x5 and Min = x3. Roughly. That means 100k in the center on Max works like 500k - but only after it starts to slip quickly enough to engage the LSD plates. I am down to 5k in the rear with Min and I like it a lot. No diffing out and consistent air control. For my tastes and bashing I find it far superior to open diffs. If I was racing I would probably go open... but I am not.
Thanks for your time and explanation (y)

After doing some research I decided on taking your advice and bout a 1730kv for my 6s , it seems to be just right for the kraton 6 as I’m looking to have good control on it. Thanks for the link.
I get my HobbyStar motors from RCJuice.com. I highly recommend them. Great products, amazing customer service, and fast shipping!!

https://www.rcjuice.com/motor-esc/b...ensorless-motor-1-8-truggy-monster-truck.html

20220421_194743.jpg

20220421_194820.jpg

Last edited:
I just want to point out what nobody else has yet... The castle motor people are talking about is a sensored motor, and the Hobbywing and HobbyStar are NOT. If you have lots of open space and like to be going 35+ most of the time that's not an issue. If you're wanting superior smoothness and control at speeds below 10mph then I would recommend a sensored motor. Castle isn't the only company that makes good ones, just trying to bring this to light if you were unaware. :)

In my case, my 6 and 8 year olds want to run the car at max 20mph which means that I need to set the throttle limit down to 20% for one, and 30% for the other. The non-sensored motors don't really like this and taking off from a stop is a bit jerky which the kids didn't like. Sensored motors are much smoother in these kind of situations. I can actually rock crawl with my talion if I want to. LOL

Anyway, just more info. I recommend a 1717-1650Kv and MMX8S, but that's me.

Castle 1717/Mmx8 is top of the line. #2 is Hobbywing. #3 is everything else.

-Sensored motor
-Bluetooth settings change on the fly
-Multiple settings profiles that can be switched on the fly
-Firmware updates
-Performance/logging data
-Can handle 6 or 8s
-Can run a variety of gearing with out getting too hot.

IMG-3637.PNG

IMG-3638.PNG

I haven't personally used either as I'm getting back into the hobby now and researching. A lot of people recommend the HW Max6. However most said if you have the extra cash the sensored gives smoother performance. They say the 1717 1650 Mamba has more power too but I'm not sure on that. My build will have the CC 1717 1650. The Bluetooth is nice. Not sure if HW has anything like that. I also have a HPI Mirco RS4 from 2005 that I have a Mamba in and it was INSANE. It still worked around 2018. So I have a bias towards then from a different setup. I know its apples to oranges.

I used to be a Castle for everything guy, but after I burnt up so many motors using the MMX8S I can no longer recommend them for bashing setups. The MAX8 or MAX6 is plenty of power for a 1/8 scale basher. A MAX6 on 8S is insanity. As far as having a sensored setup, that's a personal call. It isn't valuable enough for me, but to each his own. Like others have stated, sensored mode is only enabled at slow RPMs. It switches off very quickly in a bashing use.

I used to be a Castle for everything guy, but after I burnt up so many motors using the MMX8S I can no longer recommend them for bashing setups. The MAX8 or MAX6 is plenty of power for a 1/8 scale basher. A MAX6 on 8S is insanity. As far as having a sensored setup, that's a personal call. It isn't valuable enough for me, but to each his own. Like others have stated, sensored mode is only enabled at slow RPMs. It switches off very quickly in a bashing use.
Amen! Preach on brotha!
After two Castle motor magnets disintegrated on me, I was done with Castle. I only use the XLX2 ESC on my drag Infraction. Other than that, I'm team Hobbywing. I've never had a Hobbywing ESC or motor fail on me yet.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back