Looking to get back in and have a few ?s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Da_Vinci_B

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
I was big into racing for many years. Everything from indoor carpet to outdoor off-road racing. I have a wall full of trophies to prove it haha. Fast forward about 8 years and here I am looking for something super fast and fun to just bash and have a good time with a few buddies of mine. I’ve really taken a liken to the Arrma 1/8 scare ones. The 70+ 6s truggie is what I’m leaning towards. Since I’ve been out of the game awhile, I’m not really sure what charger and or LiPo batteries to go with. I do have a race coming up against a buddy from work (who is fairly new to racing and hobby grade R/c for that matter, so I want something that’s just gonna blow him and his car away. So any suggestions would be awesome and any other info you can help me with would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance, B

Well the racing term has changed a lot since you left. First off, monster trucks no longer have a class (if you haven't realized). It should've already been mostly phased out by 2010-11 but if it wasn't, it is definitely now. Short course trucks dominate modern racing, stadium trucks don't have a true class anymore but are sometimes ran alongside SC's. Truggies and buggies also have classes though, so the talion is what you want. Realize out of the box (on 6s lipo) it's going to go about 50-55mph, and if you do install the optional higher tooth pinion it'll hit the 70mph but it'll get way too hot WAY too quickly.

Arrma rc's feature low slung aluminum chassis. Actually makes them pretty damn good for racing. I've always preferred plastic chassis because of the concrete-kiss inducing jumps I take, but for racing, arrma's chassis is definitely well suited for a track. Far more so than any plastic chassis. They also tune their suspension fantastically out of the factory.

Oh and arrma's seem to be provided with a mild 8th scale system. Basically what I mean by that is, it's not an 8th scale system like the mamba monster that was out before you left, so it's not meant for heavy 8th scale MT's and truggy's like their kraton and talion, but rather smaller 8th scale trucks like their typhon 6s and SC sized senton 6s. Many have heat issues with the motor in the large trucks and end up replacing it with a bigger one, but then have issues with the esc getting hot and have to replace that. Obviously on 4s it'll be much less of an issue, but then again you won't be getting speeds that high.

Unless your buddy bought something 6s and 8th scale, (any manufacturer really) you're going to blow him away with any arrma truck. They're also the best bang for your buck as well because they're made with a lot more expensive materials than competitors while maintaining a lower price.

Shoot almost forgot, their trucks don't come with sealed bearings. From the manufacturers I bought beforehand, sealed bearings was the norm so it caught me off guard, so I'd stay away from water unless you really don't mind the maintainence. I've only had 5 seize from the almost full year I've owned the truck but that's all I know of. I was able to free them up with pb blaster.

Edit: I’m not sure how that information saddened someone(or maybe they mis clicked) LoL made my day.

Last edited:
Wow, I’m at work and have to keep this short, but thanks soooo much for the awesome reply! I was racing a TC5, B44 and a Mod SC truck when I left. I’m at a point where I can spend the extra money to upgrade what is needed. My buddy will be running a 1/10 scale, so yeah I figured the 1/8th scale would be the way to go. Like I said I’ll add more later. Thanks again man! I really appreciate it. Talk later. B

Now as far as the 6s LiPo, should I get the double stacked 3s which will = a 6s pack or run two separate 3s batteries on top of each other ? (If that’s a thing) my last charger was a Team Checkpoint which I use to have a power supply for. As far as the chargers now a days, I’m not really sure what to go with, same as the batteries themselves. I will pick up a set of sealed bearings to go with it from the getgo. How is the radio ? To me in the pics they seem a bit generic. I still have my Spektrum radio from before, that I could swap out if needed. Thanks again, B

There's a mile long thread here for batteries/chargers, started as a charger thread, but has info on both in it:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/recommend-me-a-battery-charger.1079/

This is a long one as well, geared towards budget lipos:
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/whats-your-budget-lipo-of-choice.218/

I only bash, so I go with what worked for me. I run larger 3S packs in my 1/10th trucks and 2x2S 7400mah packs in my outcast/erbe/savage flux. I have 2 chargers in my house, dynamite 4x100W/4x10A and Hitec D7 2x200W/2x20A as well as a cheap 2x150W/2x15A HTRC charger in my car for when I'm out bashing.

Many run dual 3S packs vs a single 6S. Takes less watts per port to charge quickly, so a crazy charger isn't necessary, but can help speed things along. Most guys that are serious about it go with a 12V or 24V DC PSU and run DC chargers.

SMC is a decent battery brand to go with. Many go with gens a c e 3S 5000mah packs. I pretty only run SMC 2x2S 7400mah packs in my outcast. For high speeds, you want 6S. For track running, you probably want 4S as it's more controllable.

Guys that don't mind spending a bit more on packs go with turnigy graphene's and run single 4S or 6S packs.

Junsi iCharger is a highly regarded brand for charging:
2000W 2x10S: https://www.amainhobbies.com/junsi-...ery-charger-10s-40a-2000w-jun-4010duo/p256250
1400W 2x6S: https://www.amainhobbies.com/junsi-...ttery-charger-6s-40a-1400w-jun-406duo/p484125
1300W 2x8S: https://www.amainhobbies.com/junsi-...ttery-charger-8s-30a-1300w-jun-308duo/p266826

Many go with repurposed PC PSU's from servers, but you can also go with RC specific ones. From what I've read, 24V is best to get the most out of many chargers. The RC specific ones cost a lot more, but have more built in safe guards and features.
Built for RC:
1200W 12-24V: https://www.amainhobbies.com/junsi-...r-supply-11v24.5v-50a-1200w-jun-s1200/p256251
1360W 12-24V: https://www.amainhobbies.com/protek...y-w-usb-port-1224v-60a-1360w-evpf1209/p476063

Repurposed server PSU:
24V 1500W: http://lipoconnectionsolutions.com/Dell-24v-71A-1740w-Power-Supply-4mm-Bullet-Output-D2417404MM.htm
12V 870W: http://lipoconnectionsolutions.com/Dell-12v-71A-870w-Power-Supply-4mm-EC5-XT60-XT90-D12870.htm

As you read from that thread, there are many many choices. These are just a few of the higher capacity ones.

SMC also offers a few chargers that look pretty good for the $.
2x325W DC: https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=113&product_id=541
1024W 12V DC PSU: https://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?route=product/product&path=141&product_id=459

+1 on the icharger and dual 3s packs. I don't even have a 6s brick in my possession. All my 6s trucks just use 2 3s packs. I just like it better that way. Look around and see what you want. The stock radio is great actually. I'd prefer it over any spectrum. If you've used that unit and it doesn't glitch than you can put it in if you want, but I've had my fair share of spectrum smashes, so it's all up to you.

I was big into racing for many years. Everything from indoor carpet to outdoor off-road racing. I have a wall full of trophies to prove it haha. Fast forward about 8 years and here I am looking for something super fast and fun to just bash and have a good time with a few buddies of mine. I’ve really taken a liken to the Arrma 1/8 scare ones. The 70+ 6s truggie is what I’m leaning towards. Since I’ve been out of the game awhile, I’m not really sure what charger and or LiPo batteries to go with. I do have a race coming up against a buddy from work (who is fairly new to racing and hobby grade R/c for that matter, so I want something that’s just gonna blow him and his car away. So any suggestions would be awesome and any other info you can help me with would really be appreciated. Thanks in advance, B

you will love a Talion. They are pretty amazing. My toughest truck..

The stock radio is great actually. I'd prefer it over any spectrum. If you've used that unit and it doesn't glitch than you can put it in if you want, but I've had my fair share of spectrum smashes, so it's all up to you.
I don't like the feel of it in my hand or the wheel/trigger pull when I drove my buddies talion before getting the outcast. I run a spektrum DX3C and as long as you run receivers with a coaxial antenna, you can drive as far as you can see/control and I haven't had any glitching to speak of. I never even tried the stock radio.

On the 2 3s packs, since that is very new to me other then in my old e-maxx, which they both had a separate plug in: Now will I wire them up so they go to one plug ? Or is there two different plugs for each battery ? You guys all rock btw! And yeah the Talion is what I’m going with! Muhahaha

Arrma takes care of that with the 6s models. You can run one or two batteries. One 6s, leave the parallel loop in, two 3s, unplug the loop and plug in the second battery.

Attachments

• IMG_9553_0283eb94-fdc9-4f74-9b1c-e4bc02bc115b_large.jpeg.jpg
    IMG_9553_0283eb94-fdc9-4f74-9b1c-e4bc02bc115b_large.jpeg.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 37
  • ara390211.jpg
    ara390211.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 39
I don't like the feel of it in my hand or the wheel/trigger pull when I drove my buddies talion before getting the outcast. I run a spektrum DX3C and as long as you run receivers with a coaxial antenna, you can drive as far as you can see/control and I haven't had any glitching to speak of. I never even tried the stock radio.
All about preference! Maybe I should buy a spektrum again for the 4th time. they did feel great in the hand (even though personally I like the tactic very much too). I just experienced bad performance with them from what I assume was radio noise due to that particular setup having tons of wires right next to the antenna, spektrum didn’t like that. It didn’t like that 3 times, 3 curbs. 3 crashes above 50mph.

Now obviously I could have been unlucky, and even if I wasn’t unlucky they’ve most likely changed their ways and made their stuff no longer glitch.

Ok, I like that Arrma has them for the batts, definitely makes it a lot easier ! As for the radio. I just know my spektrum has so many options for setting up and adjusting just about anything you could ever want, plus I also love the feel of it.

I do wish I could get it in kit form. That was one of my favorite parts, putting it together.

All about preference! Maybe I should buy a spektrum again for the 4th time. they did feel great in the hand (even though personally I like the tactic very much too). I just experienced bad performance with them from what I assume was radio noise due to that particular setup having tons of wires right next to the antenna, spektrum didn’t like that. It didn’t like that 3 times, 3 curbs. 3 crashes above 50mph.

Now obviously I could have been unlucky, and even if I wasn’t unlucky they’ve most likely changed their ways and made their stuff no longer glitch.
Yeah, I run the newer coaxial receivers in all 8 of my trucks, 5 brushless, 3 nitro. Ran the same in my 5B SS when I had it.

The only glitching I noticed was when I started running savox servos in my nitros. They pulled more current than the 6V NiMH pack could supply and would cause the throttle servo to twitch a little bit. With a cap in the 3rd port, it was nearly imperceptible.

Another quick question... What are the main tools I’d need for my Talion ? And are they metric or standard. I’d like to get a nice set, like I’ve had in the days past. Thanks, B.

Another quick question... What are the main tools I’d need for my Talion ? And are they metric or standard. I’d like to get a nice set, like I’ve had in the days past. Thanks, B.
Hex drivers:

1.5mm, 2mm, and 2.5mm. Buy good brand tools or suffer tons of strippages. I’d go with MIP’s set. It may be expensive but it’ll be worth the headaches saved over something like dynamite or integy tools that’s for sure. The 2mm and 2.5mm will be used the most.

Yeah, I’m the past I had a nice set of team associated and Losi tools, Definitely worth the extra money and do it right the first time. Thanks for the info though!

Got my Arrma in and OMG this baby is awesome !!! I don’t have to much runtime in it yet, but I wanted to ask if there are any parts I should stock up on and or any tips I should know or do as I break it in more and more. I’m not a hardcore basher, but I am a speed freak.... Muhahaha Thanks, B

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back