Granite Looking to upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could try this when it’s back in stock.
7DFAE88D-80E0-4E1B-B8A2-BC83947562AA.png

My opinion, it's not the diffs that are the problem but more the yokes that are very inacurate. Pick up some aluminum yokes and shim them correctly. It will fix much of the slop in the differential housing. Once the input gear and diff mesh together better it will run smooth. I like the steel diffs as well but a little overkill for 3s. https://www.horizonhobby.com/produc...MI6K3duIvD9gIV1NrICh1qowutEAQYAyABEgJ4P_D_BwE

Are you still running the brushed motor in your Mega? If yes, then no worries about the diffs, they will last longer than a dozen brushed motors.

If you have upgraded to a brushless motor, do you have the BLX diffs? What motor are you running?

Are you still running the brushed motor in your Mega? If yes, then no worries about the diffs, they will last longer than a dozen brushed motors.

If you have upgraded to a brushless motor, do you have the BLX diffs? What motor are you running?
I have upgraded to a brushless and I didn't go with the blx and the motor is a 4300kv I don't know the name of it

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220313-214126_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20220313-214126_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 49
I have upgraded to a brushless and I didn't go with the blx and the motor is a 4300kv I don't know the name of it
That motor is what some people call a "F540" - Finned 540. If you count the fin size, the motor is the same same as a 540 (3650), but if you subtract the deep fins, you have a 380l (long) motor. The actual motor size is closer to 2850. The important point here - the rotor is small, diameter compared to a proper 36mm can motor, so it makes less torque. Less torque = less chance of stripping gears.

TLDR: that motor does not need steel gears, BLX gears will last almost forever unless you have other issues. Mega gears will probably also last a long time, baring other issues.

Have you actually stripped a diff?

That motor is what some people call a "F540" - Finned 540. If you count the fin size, the motor is the same same as a 540 (3650), but if you subtract the deep fins, you have a 380l (long) motor. The actual motor size is closer to 2850. The important point here - the rotor is small, diameter compared to a proper 36mm can motor, so it makes less torque. Less torque = less chance of stripping gears.

TLDR: that motor does not need steel gears, BLX gears will last almost forever unless you have other issues. Mega gears will probably also last a long time, baring other issues.

Have you actually stripped a diff?
No I haven't I was just trying to not have that happen

No I haven't I was just trying to not have that happen
Cool, then don't worry about it for now. I have run several motors in my Granite, including a big honking BLX185 motor - 4074 size (on 4s), way too much power and weight for the Granite (not recommended), but the Mega diffs did fine for the dozen or so runs I did with that motor. I also ran a F540 for a while (on 2s), (mine is 3000kv) - ran better than stock, but not by a lot. Then I settled on a 3660 3800kv on 3s. Still more power than the truck can use, but light enough to keep the truck feeling nimble, I ran that motor for a few years. Just recently swapped to a Castle 1412 3200kv.

My diffs - when I had about 2-3 run on the 3800kv, the original Mega diffs finally failed. I swapped in the BLX diffs, and they have not been a problem. Note - I still strip a diff about once a year, but to me, one cheap diff per year is fine, they are cheap off Ebay, and pretty quick to swap. Metal diffs might be "bullet proof" but as big as these diffs are, they would weigh a ton, maybe as much as the tires. That much more rotating mass will have a price to pay in runtime, motor heat, and diveline wear. Plus, I already know they truck handling sucks if you make the truck heavy, and I don't want that. So one diff swap a year is good to keep my truck light is fine for me.

Cool, then don't worry about it for now. I have run several motors in my Granite, including a big honking BLX185 motor - 4074 size (on 4s), way too much power and weight for the Granite (not recommended), but the Mega diffs did fine for the dozen or so runs I did with that motor. I also ran a F540 for a while (on 2s), (mine is 3000kv) - ran better than stock, but not by a lot. Then I settled on a 3660 3800kv on 3s. Still more power than the truck can use, but light enough to keep the truck feeling nimble, I ran that motor for a few years. Just recently swapped to a Castle 1412 3200kv.

My diffs - when I had about 2-3 run on the 3800kv, the original Mega diffs finally failed. I swapped in the BLX diffs, and they have not been a problem. Note - I still strip a diff about once a year, but to me, one cheap diff per year is fine, they are cheap off Ebay, and pretty quick to swap. Metal diffs might be "bullet proof" but as big as these diffs are, they would weigh a ton, maybe as much as the tires. That much more rotating mass will have a price to pay in runtime, motor heat, and diveline wear. Plus, I already know they truck handling sucks if you make the truck heavy, and I don't want that. So one diff swap a year is good to keep my truck light is fine for me.
I am ok with swapping once a year I am good with working on stuff from vehicles to golf carts and rc cars. Thanks for the good input

The old discontinued
Alright just wanted to make sure. The metal diff listed above will not fit your truck as it is for a 4x4.

The updated transmission case and metal gear set for the 2wd Granite has long been discontinued and are no longer available. What you have now is pretty much what you are stuck with unfortunately. A lot of parts for the 2wd platform are no longer available and trying to find them is like trying to find hens teeth.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back