Kraton Loose control arms

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swift518

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I picked up a new 2018 model. Has anyone had issues with the control arms/turn buckles popping off during normal jumping? Not crashing. Im only doing a 3-5 ft high jump in the grass and have to stop and snap the ball cup back on. It has happend on both sides of the truck but only the inside connection, not on the hub connection. They are loose enough where I can use one finger and pop them on and off. doesn't seem right to me. Any thoughts?

Last edited:
That seems odd. Maybe you got some defective turnbuckles? Or the ball stud is a bit too small? I'd try replacing with stock first, then if you still have the issue, look aftermarket.

On my 3 V1's, I have only ever popped the steering link on my Kraton, and that only a few times. It was the same one - first time it was hard to get back on. After a few pops, it got loose, and I replaced it. No issues since, and that was probably a year ago.

That seems odd. Maybe you got some defective turnbuckles? Or the ball stud is a bit too small? I'd try replacing with stock first, then if you still have the issue, look aftermarket.

On my 3 V1's, I have only ever popped the steering link on my Kraton, and that only a few times. It was the same one - first time it was hard to get back on. After a few pops, it got loose, and I replaced it. No issues since, and that was probably a year ago.
Thanks Ill give it a shot. Pretty crappy that a new truck needs new parts out of the box. My son drove it in the yard yesterday. On 4s, no jumping, just a couple low speed roll overs and they popped off for him. Definitely a weak link on this truck.

YES I am having the same problem with my brand new Kraton. Hardly any force and they pop off. easy to snap back on but annoying. It happened a few times on the Talion, but required a lot more force (and a couple broken parts) than it did on the new Kraton. Not sure why, but not a normal thing to happen.

Is there room to put a washer on to retain them? Then they at least don't come off and risk jamming the cvd/pivot balls on the arm up when it pops loose. I had that happen back in the day with my LST. The tie-rod end broke, which allowed the wheel hub to articulate so much that it snapped the cvd. Was very annoying that a $.35 part cost me a $15 part.

@Rich Duperbash and rcbashing the kraton had a tip about putting a rubber washer/o-ring under the steering link to stop it from popping off. Only had mine pop off once and when it did it made the rod end egg shaped so it was to loose to stay on. So I replaced the end and put a piece of rubber under it and it has not happened since.

Last edited:
I picked up a new 2018 model. Has anyone had issues with the control arms/turn buckles popping off during normal jumping? Not crashing. Im only doing a 3-5 ft high jump in the grass and have to stop and snap the ball cup back on. It has happend on both sides of the truck but only the inside connection, not on the hub connection. They are loose enough where I can use one finger and pop them on and off. doesn't seem right to me. Any thoughts?

Happens to mine all the time. And I only jump it about the same as you. 3 or 4 feet high and 10-15 feet of distance and landing on grass.

@Rich Duperbash and rcbashing the kraton had a tip about putting a rubber washer/o-ring under the steering link to stop it from popping off. Only had mine pop off once and when it did it made the rod end egg shaped so it was to loose to stay on. So I replaced the end and put a piece of rubber under it and it has not happened since.
Thanks Ill have to find this.

Thanks Ill have to find this.

I guess this is what they mean ?
IMG_3047r.JPG

Wonder how an o-ring does much for you... it's just soft rubber/silicone. I usually use a washer that I concave by putting it on a block of wood with a hole smaller than the OD and smacking it with a punch.

Wonder how an o-ring does much for you... it's just soft rubber/silicone. I usually use a washer that I concave by putting it on a block of wood with a hole smaller than the OD and smacking it with a punch.

How would you install this concave washer ?
Those o-rings do work for me. Had a little trouble finding the correct size, found a couple in an automotive assortment. They really do fit very snugly on there, you have to pry it off.

You can see how I have a washer here on my savage for the suspension arm:
2018-0209-SavageFlux-UpperArmBallEndBack.jpg

It didn't need to be concave to deal with the motion of the ball end as the arm only pivots up and down, so the washer is just there to keep the ball end from popping off completely. On something like a steering ball end, making the washer concave helps it not make contact with the ball end as the suspensions articulates.

I also used them on the shock ends when I ran RPM arms that didn't "capture" the ball end:
2017-0826-SavageFlux-BentSHDBone.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back