Kraton Loose pinion gear

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psolner

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
I have a stock kraton and the pinion gear came loose,but didn't come off the shaft.what shold i do here...should i get a new pinion gear like a tekno and what size should i use if so?

Take it down and reinstall your gear of choice, consider yourself lucky that it got loose by itself, on our outcast and notorious they were really tuff to get off the motor shaft

I just had this happen to mine. I probably wouldn’t have caught it if I hadn’t tore the truck down to clean it. It didn’t look like it had any form of threadlock on it and it was from the factory. I ordered a 12T Tekno to go back in it.

My pinion came loose the second time I drove mine and slid twords the motor and was hardly meshing with the spur at all. I tried tightening it but it wouldn't hold for more than 2 pulls on the street so I swapped to the other pinion that came in the box and have had no problems.

My factory pinion is still good but I’m going to switch out now that it’s all apart.

I think I lucked out with it backing out on its own because at some point a rock mushroomed one of the hex sides making it impossible to get my driver in there. Luckily I was able to use a pair of pliers to turn it the rest of the way out.

My pinion came loose the second time I drove mine and slid twords the motor and was hardly meshing with the spur at all. I tried tightening it but it wouldn't hold for more than 2 pulls on the street so I swapped to the other pinion that came in the box and have had no problems.
Have you seen much of a difference since swapping for the other one out the box?

I have tried getting mine off but doesn't move at all. Now I have snapped the removal tool inside the screw. Looks like I'm going to have to drill it off

Mine was really hard to get off. I had to heat it and pry it off. I'm surprised yours came off.
.me too,its loose on The shaft but didnt come all the way off,it slides back and forth.so im ordered a 13t tekno gear and som
I have tried getting mine off but doesn't move at all. Now I have snapped the removal tool inside the screw. Looks like I'm going to have to drill it off
That sucks!!

Have you seen much of a difference since swapping for the other one out the box?
Thats supposed to be the speed gear for street instead of dirt right?

Mine was really hard to get off. I had to heat it and pry it off. I'm surprised yours came off.
Sounds like i got lucky but sucks i had to do this anyway....

They say it's for street only but that's to cover there own backs. I no plenty of people on here that off road with that gear
They say it's for street only but that's to cover there own backs. I no plenty of people on here that off road with that gear
Does it make a difference in speed with the other pinion or what?

Yeah it seems faster for sure. And being that it's a bigger gear I had to re mesh them and I think the mesh was a little on the tight side out of the box. After putting this gear in and re meshing it seems to have more torque. Doesn't make much sense to me why a top speed gear would give me more torque hense why I think it was meshed a little tight from the factory.

Yeah it seems faster for sure. And being that it's a bigger gear I had to re mesh them and I think the mesh was a little on the tight side out of the box. After putting this gear in and re meshing it seems to have more torque. Doesn't make much sense to me why a top speed gear would give me more torque hense why I think it was meshed a little tight from the factory.
Nice might as well try mine also thanks.

Each tooth you go up on the pinion is worth roughly 4mph increase in top speed so I it's a noticeable increase in wheel speed when going from a 12t to a 16t

You can bash pretty hard off road, just check your temps every so often and keep the motor and ESC below 170f

When running backflip tires it's wise to install a motor fan if you plan on running higher than a 15t off road (grass/dirt)

17t + motor fan is about as high as you can go with temps while running the backflips if you're pinning the throttle a lot off-road. Mid to low 160's by the end of a 6s pack for me

Each tooth you go up on the pinion is worth roughly 4mph increase in top speed so I it's a noticeable increase in wheel speed when going from a 12t to a 16t

You can bash pretty hard off road, just check your temps every so often and keep the motor and ESC below 170f

When running backflip tires it's wise to install a motor fan if you plan on running higher than a 15t off road (grass/dirt)

17t + motor fan is about as high as you can go with temps while running the backflips if you're pinning the throttle a lot off-road. Mid to low 160's by the end of a 6s pack for me
Well thats some good knowledge thank you much .i will have to get a motorfan asap

.me too,its loose on The shaft but didnt come all the way off,it slides back and forth.so im ordered a 13t tekno gear and som

That sucks!!

Thats supposed to be the speed gear for street instead of dirt right?

Sounds like i got lucky but sucks i had to do this anyway....
Same thing happened to me i stripped the screw too, got my dremil and had to grind off that tiny lip on the shaft, slid it right off..

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back