Big Rock Loose wheel nuts on Big Rock

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rif

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi all
I recently bought a Big Rock and have been having a problem with the wheel nuts loosening. I tried using bue loctite on new nylon nuts, and they still come loose. Running Proline belted trenchers with the aluminum adapter. Any suggestions on how to remedy this? Thanks.

Nope. Still using the stock 14mm hexes, and the 14mm adapter. The hexes come loose too.

Are the nuts you have that came with it barbed? I usually don't have much trouble with that but I do wrench them tighter than they probably should be.

These barbs is what I am referring too, they should help keep the nut on. I have also used the thickest low strength threadlock on an old redcat, that worked well. Keep in mind the threadlock can damage the plastic wheel and nyloc in the nut.

Screenshot_20220918_101745.jpg

Last edited:
Yep. After losing the first couple, I bought the exact same ones you mentioned, original replacements. I also put blue loctite one the threads of the stub shaft, tightened the nuts, and let it cure for a week. I can see where the serations are biting into the aluminum adapters. Left side front and rear wheels came loose after abut 10 minutes this morning. Rough terrain here in Tucson, too.

Sorry to hear that, I wonder if those aluminum adaptors are partly to blame? The plastic seems to grab better.

I have been trying to locate the loctite that is used to pre treat bolts.. if anyone can find that stuff let me know!

Screenshot_20220918_104211.jpg

I can't remember if it was Ace Hardware or Home Despot where I saw Blue Loctite in a Gel stick. That might be what you are looking for. I can't help but wonder if it's the tires themselves that are causing it. Those Trenchers are pretty aggressive. I'd switch back to the stock tires, but 2 of them the nut ripped through the stock plastic where the nut pulled thru the plastic hubs within the first couple of sessions.

Sounds like you have some fun with your rigs :LOL:

remote control car GIF by HPI Racing

I bet the trenchers are heavier as well. Hoping someone else on the forum has some experience with them and can help.

Heck yeah! I come from the crawling side of RC. While that is fun, bashing is a whole other level of fun!

I see that Loctite also has an Orange thread lock, somewhere between blue and red. Not sure if that's advisable.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back