Losi DB Pro or TT is there a way to modify the battery tray for longer batteries?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
Losi DB Pro or similar

With the setup for the battery tray, I cannot use the longer China Hobby batteries. Just want to know if anyone with one of these types of rigs ever found way to use a longer battery? If I remove the current battery try I have no way to use straps since this is a metal chassis.

1647842514145.png
1647842530485.png

You could 3D print a battery tray that is longer ,that still uses its original screw holes.
& If you have velcro straps long enough.. could just design in the slots for them in the new 3D tray also.

So, take some pics of the underside of your chassis and let me know the size of screws and measurements of the screw pattern. Also give me your current tray spacing and the desired battery size.

Last edited:
Losi DB Pro or similar

With the setup for the battery tray, I cannot use the longer China Hobby batteries. Just want to know if anyone with one of these types of rigs ever found way to use a longer battery? If I remove the current battery try I have no way to use straps since this is a metal chassis.

View attachment 207694View attachment 207695
Hey @parcou which tire and wheel combo are you run on there ?

17mm hex or 12mm hex ?

My tenacity db strips a wheel every time I bash it :(

Thanks.

You could 3D print a battery tray that is longer ,that still uses its original screw holes.
& If you have velcro straps long enough.. could just design in the slots for them in the new 3D tray also.

So, take some pics of the underside of your chassis and let me know the size of screws and measurements of the screw pattern. Also give me your current tray spacing and the desired battery size.
Appreciate the off to help. Let me look at that when I get back home to the RC...again Thx!

Hey @parcou which tire and wheel combo are you run on there ?

17mm hex or 12mm hex ?

My tenacity db strips a wheel every time I bash it :(

Thanks.

Been using the 12mm hex they are the Proline Beadlock wheels and Proline Badline MX tires. No issues at all even with the more powerful motor. Sorry about that...is it the rear or front? What diff fluids are you running and what power....I'm on 3S.

Appreciate the off to help. Let me look at that when I get back home to the RC...again Thx!

Been using the 12mm hex they are the Proline Beadlock wheels and Proline Badline MX tires. No issues at all even with the more powerful motor. Sorry about that...is it the rear or front? What diff fluids are you running and what power....I'm on 3S.
Mostly rears and an occasional front one strips too.

Running 3s and the provided 3s pinion gear.

Stock diff fluids.

Mostly rears and an occasional front one strips too.

Running 3s and the provided 3s pinion gear.

Stock diff fluids.

This is very strange and odd... these are stock tires that are eating out the hex? I never used the stock and you are really all stock. It would cost money I do see trying a new tire if it is the hex eating out.

Here's a rough draft of the design I have in mind..

Losi DB Pro-Extended Battery Tray-Concept Design_by Tex Koder.jpg

This is just the front section of the tray, what do you think?
If the design language is in the right direction, let me know and I'll flesh out the rear section by this Thursday or Friday..

PS-
The strap slot is 24mm wide.
Please double check to see if that's wide enough for your battery strap.

Here's a rough draft of the design I have in mind..

View attachment 208047

This is just the front section of the tray, what do you think?
If the design language is in the right direction, let me know and I'll flesh out the rear section by this Thursday or Friday..

PS-
The strap slot is 24mm wide.
Please double check to see if that's wide enough for your battery strap.

Wow...first let me say thank you...wish I had the skill set. The straps I will use are 22mm wide so that will work.

Let me ask a question again just a question I am not a designer. What I was going to do before I posted was order a battery tray for the Kraton here:

I would need to dremel it some to remove some of the sides and clean the perimeter. I was going to use an M3 flat head screw, wash, and a 3M nut at the bottom of the chassis to hold the Kraton tray. Your design will it have the ability to hold the battery across the side like this one...you may have something else in mind?

Okay.. So, you want your new battery to be protected on the sides also, correct?
Basically like a "tub" instead of just the front & rear endcaps...

Okay.. So, you want your new battery to be protected on the sides also, correct?
Basically like a "tub" instead of just the front & rear endcaps...
I want to go with whatever is easiest for you and best holds the battery for bashing. You are providing me a service :)

Only thoughts I have and I cannot see it from a design since I do not have your skills:

1. If we do endcaps, the longer battery will cover the stock hole in the chassis on the end so would the new end cap require I drill into the metal chassis for a hole to secure the other endcap?

2. If we did do a low profile tube, the end would be open so 3 sides (left, right, front) so we could use the battery holes in the chassis to secure the tube for both ends. This would allow for a velcro strap end to end and across the side from side to side.

What are your thoughts...I'm just brainstorming...

I want to go with whatever is easiest for you and best holds the battery for bashing. You are providing me a service :)

Only thoughts I have and I cannot see it from a design since I do not have your skills:

What are your thoughts...I'm just brainstorming...

No worries.
Ask as many questions as you like.
Open communication is what makes the design process (And end results) work the best.

1. If we do endcaps, the longer battery will cover the stock hole in the chassis on the end so would the new end cap require I drill into the metal chassis for a hole to secure the other endcap?

No drilling of new hole(s), with the design I have in mind.

But, it will raise the battery up off the metal chassis by around 4 - 5mm..
To accommodate the thickness of a M3 nut that will be needed to accept a short M3 screw...
I'll draft up the Rear endcap to better illustrate what I'm talking about.

2. If we did do a low profile tube, the end would be open so 3 sides (left, right, front) so we could use the battery holes in the chassis to secure the tube for both ends. This would allow for a velcro strap end to end and across the side from side to side.

Let me draft up a tub design.. to see how that would work.

Here's the complete rough draft of the new battery holder sections..

Using the OEM bolt holes and I've included virtual size of the new battery for reference/sizing.

Bottom Up View -Looking up (thru the metal chassis):
Losi DB Pro-Extended Battery Tray_Concept.jpg

X-ray View
Losi DB Pro-Extended Battery Tray_Concept-Transparent.jpg

The dark line down the middle represents the exact 152mm center-to-center bolt holes.

Losi DB Pro-Extended Battery Tray_Concept-OverView.jpg

Let me know if this is what you have in mind..
If so, I'll print up the prototypes over the weekend.

It lo
Here's the complete rough draft of the new battery holder sections..

Using the OEM bolt holes and I've included virtual size of the new battery for reference/sizing.

Bottom Up View -Looking up (thru the metal chassis):
View attachment 208572

X-ray View
View attachment 208573

The dark line down the middle represents the exact 152mm center-to-center bolt holes.

View attachment 208578

Let me know if this is what you have in mind..
If so, I'll print up the prototypes over the weekend.
It looks good...great...let's do it

Back