Typhon Lost interesting grinding sound

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slicky Slang

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 3s
Hi guys I'm new to RC, I bought myself an Arrma Typhon 3s recently and I really enjoy bashing it about on dusty BMX tracks.
Recently I cleaned my car, gave it a good scrub down using some soapy water, WD40 and then dried it off in the Sun (it was a hot day).
The vehicle seems to be working fine however it has lost that Interesting clicking or grinding sound that you get when you push or roll the car by hand.
Have I messed something up inside by cleaning the car in this way?
How do I get this sound back and what causes this sound In the first place?

Any advice much appreciated

I try to not use plenty water cleaning my rigs. Lots of compressed air and paint and toothbrush. Simple green and water in a spray bottle sparingly. Wipe down with some wd on the plastics and parts after thoroughly dry.The sound you hear is the pinion/spur, drivetrain and motor. Don't see how cleaning with soap and water would quiet all that especially if it was dryed.

If my rigs are dirty beyond what the air compressor will blow off, I completely disassemble them and clean each part in a soapy bucket of hot water. Obviously I don’t wash electronics or bearings this way, but all plastics and non corrosive metals get a hot bath. While doing this, I also evaluate all bearings, pivot balls, etc. I also take this time to evaluate fluids in the diffs and shocks. This is a few hour job, so I don’t do it often, but it’s necessary when you bring home more dirt than RC.

Thanks for replying back, some great tips on using compressed air, less water and 'Simple Green'. I'll try and find an alternative product here in the UK.

The vehicle seems to be working fine, it's just that the sound has disappeared and I'm left wondering is it supposed to have that sound? Could I be damaging an internal part? Do I need to tighten or loosen a particular part?

When watching online videos of other Arrma vehicles they all seem to have this sound when rolled by hand.

Thanks for your time

A note on the WD40 - please note that it is a better CLEANER than it is a LUBE. Once you are done cleaning with WD40, be sure an lube the bearings with a good oil. Bike Chain lube (Wet lubes) work good. Also Tri-flow (available at lots of hardware stores) is good.

Thanks for replying back, some great tips on using compressed air, less water and 'Simple Green'. I'll try and find an alternative product here in the UK.

The vehicle seems to be working fine, it's just that the sound has disappeared and I'm left wondering is it supposed to have that sound? Could I be damaging an internal part? Do I need to tighten or loosen a particular part?

When watching online videos of other Arrma vehicles they all seem to have this sound when rolled by hand.

Thanks for your time
All Arrmas have that sound for the reason I stated above and yours should too. If your car is working as it should can't see why cleaning damaged anything. Post a video on here if you can of what it's doing rolling by hand and running. Maby someone can suggest an opinion. Do a search on here for cleaning RCs, there are plenty suggestions that members use with different cleaning products and tools.

Oh, and most of that sound is coming from the gears - the pinion/spur and the diffs. You may have just worn in the gears a bit. Looser mesh will give less noise., sort of.

All Arrmas have that sound for the reason I stated above and yours should too. If your car is working as it should can't see why cleaning damaged anything. Post a video on here if you can of what it's doing rolling by hand and running. Maby someone can suggest an opinion. Do a search on here for cleaning RCs, there are plenty suggestions that members use with different cleaning products and tools.
I've taken the car apart right now but perhaps I'll put a video up tomorrow. Thanks for your help

Send us a picture of the pinion, slipper clutch and bearings in the power module.

Hi, I think I've managed to get it working again, I'm not quite sure how... However, I'm sure the sound was much more aggressive previously. Nevertheless, I'm very grateful for all of the tips. Thanks for your time very generous of you all.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back