Kraton Loud chatter noise in reverse.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aw man, thank you for the info:)!! Because I had no idea what to do. I tried watching YouTube videos but, they talk and demonstrate to damn fast.

Anyway, followed your instructions to a certain point, and no wobble at all that I can tell. The ring
and pinion look fine. No damage at all. I’ll jump to step 3 and pull the diff apart and see what it looks like. Thanks for all your help CB. Talk to you soon:)

Pop out both dif cups and check the large gear of each (spur, main gear or whatever you call it). Look for chipped teeth. While out, also check the two pinions inside the gear box. Also, check to make sure the the outdrive attached to the pinions hasn't come loose and slid away from the gear box. If all of the above check out, make sure your motor is still snug on the mount and that the mount is still tight to the chassis. Make sure the motor pinion hasn't moved either. If all of these easy visuals check out, then I would open the cups and check the dif internals.
Great advice brother! The small gear going into the diff in the center is called a pinion gear. The large gear on the left side attached to the diff bell case is called the ring gear and the 4 smaller gears are called spur / spider gears. The same as actual automotive diffs?just to clarify.... But spot on bro! ??

I had the same issue in my senton. I’ve taken the front diff apart so many times it’s not even funny. To me it also happens when braking. Honestly sounds exactly like a bad differential. It’s not a regular problem and only happens every once in awhile, and when it happens, it lasts for a few runs then magically goes away. I have yet to find damage, even to the spider gears!

I had the same issue in my senton. I’ve taken the front diff apart so many times it’s not even funny. To me it also happens when braking. Honestly sounds exactly like a bad differential. It’s not a regular problem and only happens every once in awhile, and when it happens, it lasts for a few runs then magically goes away. I have yet to find damage, even to the spider gears!
Traxxas devil ghost hunting you maybe? Just a joke

Was there any fix to this? I'm having the same problem. I cleaned and refilled the rear diff thinking that was where the problem was. Nothing was damaged. I'll do the center when I get a lighter diff oil for it.

Was there any fix to this? I'm having the same problem. I cleaned and refilled the rear diff thinking that was where the problem was. Nothing was damaged. I'll do the center when I get a lighter diff oil for it.
Still running mine with the phantom grind. So far it’s been a good 3 months since I’ve heard it. Same story, staying out of reverse unless it’s mandatory.

Still running mine with the phantom grind. So far it’s been a good 3 months since I’ve heard it. Same story, staying out of reverse unless it’s mandatory.

That's what scares me. I want to run it. And considering I have an Airfield to play on I need the brakes. Lol. I made a new post. My issue seems to be extremely similar but slightly different from what was posted here.

That's what scares me. I want to run it. And considering I have an Airfield to play on I need the brakes. Lol. I made a new post. My issue seems to be extremely similar but slightly different from what was posted here.
Don’t be scared to run it. I run mine about 3 days a week; brakes and all. I just stay out of reverse if I can help it. During braking it doesn’t seem to happen (until it does happen, then it continues to happen) but I’ve checked up on my diffs multiple times and they’re all wearing fine.

Don’t be scared to run it. I run mine about 3 days a week; brakes and all. I just stay out of reverse if I can help it. During braking it doesn’t seem to happen (until it does happen, then it continues to happen) but I’ve checked up on my diffs multiple times and they’re all wearing fine.
That's the bad part. It happens EVERYTIME I brake/reverse. And it sounds expensive everytime I try to slow this fckr down. I like wrenching on it, but I'd be a jackass to Kevin Talbot my baby without the budget to get parts in the Corona era.

That's the bad part. It happens EVERYTIME I brake/reverse. And it sounds expensive everytime I try to slow this fckr down. I like wrenching on it, but I'd be a jackass to Kevin Talbot my baby without the budget to get parts in the Corona era.
If there’s a diff making noise during brakes or reverse, it’s the front one. Check on it and see how it’s looking.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back