Typhon Low maximum speed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slammers77

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Typhon 6s
Hello there,

I have a Typhon v4 and I run it on a new 6s 60c gensacearespammers lipo. I did a speedrun with the 20t speed pinion. It doesn't go above 97 km/h. (60 mph). I measured it with a Skyrc gps speed meter. It is stock accept for the tires (infraction tires) and the transmitter. (Spectrum DX5C)
I think it should hit stock around 70mph.

What could of be?

Last edited:
I don’t know for sure if this could have to do with it but I know heavier tires make it go slower... but I don’t think that much but that would probably make it go a little faster if u put the stock or other smallish tire on it

I don’t know for sure if this could have to do with it but I know heavier tires make it go slower... but I don’t think that much but that would probably make it go a little faster if u put the stock or other smallish tire on it
I made a mistake. I have the infraction tires.

It really should be breaking 70mph with those tires (172mm diameter) and gear ratio.
Can you provide a picture of what the setup looks like? (wiring etc) Maybe something will stick out as problematic.
I made a mistake. I have the infraction tires.

In that case you are spot on where it should be

infraction tire.JPG

It really should be breaking 70mph with those tires (172mm diameter) and gear ratio.
Can you provide a picture of what the setup looks like? (wiring etc) Maybe something will stick out as problematic.

In that case you are spot on where it should be

View attachment 51752
Thx for the reply. Actually the tires have a diameter of 98 mm, where the katars have a diameter of about 115. Could of be as simple as that? Mount bigger wheels?

Last edited:
Sort-of the Katars and other off-road tires actually do not perform well at higher speeds.(tire ballooning)
The Infraction tires (Hoons) that you have are much better suited for high speeds because they have internal steel belts to combat the ballooning effect.

1. If you just want to hit 70 then look into a larger pinion gear.
2. If you want to go up near 100mph then you would want to swap in a Spool and spur from the Limitless.
3. If you want to go beyond 100 then you will need #2 + a more powerful ESC like the Castle Mamba Monster 2.

-Liberty

The smaller tires will be a good thing for speed runs. You just need to gear up accordingly to make up the difference. The lower ride height will help aerodynamics.

Like others said, there are many factors what will affect top speed. I'm terms of gearing it's pinion size, spur size and tire size. To increase top end you want to do any of the following:
1. Larger pinion
2. Smaller spur
3. Larger diameter tires

In your case you kept everything the same except you went with smaller tires this decreasing the theoretical too end. I would imagine going to a 22t pinion would make up for it. I don't have my spreadsheet open at the money. I'm sure @LibertyMKiii can tell you. We use the same spreadsheet.

Ok thx guys, I ordered a 22t pinion and I am thinking of buying 23 and higher. Bought as well a motor fan to keep the motor cool. What number of pinion teeth is proven safe before the esc go's in thermal shut down?

Ok thx guys, I ordered a 22t pinion and I am thinking of buying 23 and higher. Bought as well a motor fan to keep the motor cool. What number of pinion teeth is proven safe before the esc go's in thermal shut down?
What you need to understand is that there are no absolute numbers when it comes to heat. One guy can make a pass with a 27T and have no issues. Another guy could have heat issues with the same setup. Ambient temps play a big part. Humidity in the air as well. How long you stay WOT is also key. If you are making a single speed pass vs bashing. On and on. What’s best is to do what you’re doing. Adding fans and keeping an eye on temps as you learn. Adjust as necessary.

What you need to understand is that there are no absolute numbers when it comes to heat. One guy can make a pass with a 27T and have no issues. Another guy could have heat issues with the same setup. Ambient temps play a big part. Humidity in the air as well. How long you stay WOT is also key. If you are making a single speed pass vs bashing. On and on. What’s best is to do what you’re doing. Adding fans and keeping an eye on temps as you learn. Adjust as necessary.
Ok thx. I have a temp gun to monitor. What is a " safe" temp for the motor?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back