Low tech guy with new high tech toy..how to use it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah definitely record in 1024 and it’ll probably work. 30fps if you can go down that low on the hero11.

The problem is the HEVC, which like you said in another thread is the only encoder type the hero 11 uses for video. Since it's still relatively new, not all programs and hardware can support it.

Check out this article from the gopro page:
https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hevc

There's a few paragraphs in there about

What if I recorded in an HEVC setting and don't have a compatible device?​

Basically you can download the files to your computer to do a conversion to a file type you can use, or you have to use web based apps.

Newer equipment can do HEVC. Not sure what programs can decode it though.

Ahh, that helps. KnowAir, Google brought me here, which may be worth a read: https://www.videoproc.com/media-converter/hevc-codec-windows-10-vlc.htm

My computer is 10 years old, my VLC can play 1080p H265 files. But that's quite a bit different than 5k. I would try reducing your resolution first, to maybe 1080p, and see if that helps. I'd start with the simple stuff.

Yup, 1080 30fps is the lowest the Hero11 will go. I did take some vids yesterday at that setting to test on my PC. It does play them barely,LOL. It's very pixelated, dropping alot of frames..but better. I may try the file conversion not sure. I can imagine that process will take considerable time with such a weak pc, which is really just a notebook..
I'm guessing that a desktop pc would likely be the most cost effective way to go in terms of upgrade.

I'm guessing that a desktop pc would likely be the most cost effective way to go in terms of upgrade.

Typically/historically, yes, a desktop would offer more performance-per-dollar. It's been a long time since I was computer shopping, but with laptops probably comprising the vast majority of the market these days, it's possible that desktops have become more "niche" and possibly a bit more expensive? Or at least not as easy to find, and less likely to go on sale.

The used market could be worth a look as well.

I'm a bit surprised yours is struggling this much with even the 1080p file, given that my modest, 10-year-old Dell laptop plays 1080p HEVC files without issue, in VLC. I do have more RAM (16GB), it's possible that's making more of a difference than I would have expected. I have an SSD as well, but that should mainly impact load times, not whether a file can actually be played.

If your problem is really just insufficient RAM, you could add more pretty inexpensively. Maybe $60 or so? Unfortunately, it may be difficult to really test that without simply biting the bullet, adding more RAM, and observing whether it helps.

Typically/historically, yes, a desktop would offer more performance-per-dollar. It's been a long time since I was computer shopping, but with laptops probably comprising the vast majority of the market these days, it's possible that desktops have become more "niche" and possibly a bit more expensive? Or at least not as easy to find, and less likely to go on sale.

The used market could be worth a look as well.

I'm a bit surprised yours is struggling this much with even the 1080p file, given that my modest, 10-year-old Dell laptop plays 1080p HEVC files without issue, in VLC. I do have more RAM (16GB), it's possible that's making more of a difference than I would have expected. I have an SSD as well, but that should mainly impact load times, not whether a file can actually be played.

If your problem is really just insufficient RAM, you could add more pretty inexpensively. Maybe $60 or so? Unfortunately, it may be difficult to really test that without simply biting the bullet, adding more RAM, and observing whether it helps.
Yeah, I was surprised that my PC is struggling so badly too.. 4GB vs 16GB is likely the difference. I have an even older laptop that started life at 2GB of ram. I upgraded it to 4GB. Definitely a huge jump in performance. I'm guessing laptops would cost more due to popularity and convenience. One of my coworkers is into PC'S and photography, I'll pick his brain on the matter too. I am weary of spending any significant money on a PC not knowing how much I'll really use it.

Yeah, I was surprised that my PC is struggling so badly too.. 4GB vs 16GB is likely the difference. I have an even older laptop that started life at 2GB of ram. I upgraded it to 4GB. Definitely a huge jump in performance. I'm guessing laptops would cost more due to popularity and convenience. One of my coworkers is into PC'S and photography, I'll pick his brain on the matter too. I am weary of spending any significant money on a PC not knowing how much I'll really use it.
If RAM is the true issue then just upgrading it on your current laptop/cpu is the answer. Way cheaper than a new PC and easy to do. Takes a few minutes, on a desktop at least. I haven't done it on a laptop.

Your PC co-worker could probably install it for ya. Just make sure to get the biggest RAM you can afford that will work on your cpu. Always better to have more than you need, just like RC esc/motors!! 👍:p

Good luck!! 👍 😁 ✌️

Yeah, if I was buying a machine for basically one purpose, I'd also be wary of dumping a bunch of money into it.

You could look on Crucial's website, to look up RAM upgrade options for your current machine. Making up optimistic numbers, if there was a $40 option, maybe it's worth "throwing" $40 at the problem, to see if more memory is enough to make things OK. And you can also use Crucial's site to tell you what exact type of RAM you need, and then also price-compare with other sources, like Amazon.

While you might waste the hypothetical $40, a comparatively inexpensive gamble might avoid a $500 new machine. Heck, if Amazon offered free returns, you could even try it. And if it didn't help, you could send it back and shop for a new or "new" machine.

(Edit: Smilinbri beat me to it. 8GB would be the bare minimum I would want for memory these days, and more is better. Especially if it's a modest increase in cost, like $60 for going to 16GB, vs $40 for going to 8GB)

I don't think RAM is the issue. HEVC is very computationally heavy. Its a way of compressing information into a smaller files size than older encoders (ie, so you can stream a video at a lower data rate), but at the cost of much higher processing power. All processors (CPUs) can do it via software. Hardware acceleration can be done with graphics cards (and they are much better built for that kind of stuff) but HEVC can only be done on the latest gem graphics cards.

My guess is that @RedOctobyr had a decent enough processor from 10 years ago that can handle the 1080p files. You'd need hardware acceleration for any higher resolution. So if you're trying at 5k... yeah probably not going to work on software for most computers... :ROFLMAO:

I downloaded the Gopro handbrake converter. Took about an hour and a half to convert a 15 minute video to H264. That particular vid was taken at the Hero11 default setting(highest quality) when I first used the camera.
It plays perfectly on VLC player though, sweet!!
That same video wouldn't play at all on my PC with any app before converting so I'm stoked about that.
Now with the Hero11 set at it's lowest resolution my PC will play the video but it's hardly enjoyable with all the dropped frames and pixelated so I still need a better alternative whether it be more RAM or a different PC altogether.
I think Crucial is where I had bought the memory upgrade I installed on an HP laptop a few years back. I'll check into an upgrade for this machine I'm currently using.
Thanks a bunch for the help, y'all are great!!😁🍻👌

Awesome! And if you don't need 5k (or don't want to be creating files that large), I'd try doing the same H264 conversion for a 1080p HEVC file. It should be much faster to convert than the 5k file, and perhaps that could be an acceptable solution, at least for now. Especially if you're able to bulk-convert a bunch of files. Like record 10 clips, tell it to convert all 10, and come back 15 minutes later.

Awesome! And if you don't need 5k (or don't want to be creating files that large), I'd try doing the same H264 conversion for a 1080p HEVC file. It should be much faster to convert than the 5k file, and perhaps that could be an acceptable solution, at least for now. Especially if you're able to bulk-convert a bunch of files. Like record 10 clips, tell it to convert all 10, and come back 15 minutes later.
Yea, that will be my next move, to convert an HEVC 1080 30FPS to H264.
I went to the Crucial website to see what options I have for my Dell Inspiron 11. According to Crucial my PC came with 2GB and is upgradable to 4GB. Strange, in the control panel of my PC I'm seeing 4GB.
Checked another website which is listing stock as 4GB and is upgradable to 8gb, $25.
Guess I'll have to try that for$25.

Yea, that will be my next move, to convert an HEVC 1080 30FPS to H264.
I went to the Crucial website to see what options I have for my Dell Inspiron 11. According to Crucial my PC came with 2GB and is upgradable to 4GB. Strange, in the control panel of my PC I'm seeing 4GB.
Checked another website which is listing stock as 4GB and is upgradable to 8gb, $25.
Guess I'll have to try that for$25.
Awesome! Hope it works out for ya.

If you do end up installing it yourself, just remember, static electricity is your enemy as soon as you open it up. 👍 🍻😁✌️
Do It Reaction GIF

That particular vid was taken at the Hero11 default setting(highest quality) when I first used It plays perfectly on VLC player though, sweet!!
I love VLC Player. I use to tell people when I worked in the mobile industry if it doesn’t play on VLC Player it’s probably a corrupted file 😂

I think for the money(and short term fix), I'm going to try upgrading my Dell Inspiron 11. Given the fact that the Inspiron does play the Gopro files recorded at the lowest resolution(with issues) through VLC player suggests that a RAM upgrade may give me satisfactory results. Gotta try the cheapest option first, it's in my DNA, LOL.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back