Low tech guy with new high tech toy..how to use it?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KnowAir

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 8S
  2. Kraton EXB
  3. Mojave EXB
Hey all, I'm the proud new owner of a Gopro hero11 black!! Wifey gifted it to me for xmas. She really took me by surprise I have to say!!
Unfortunately I now have a bit of a dilemma..this thing is so high tech that I don't own anything that can render the videos!! LOL.
Apparently from what I've found thus far is that even on lowest quality video setting, the videos are still beyond what my windows 10 laptop can render.. what can I do to make the videos usable to me? Low budget is unfortunately my only choice. Ultimately I would like to be able to edit and upload to YT.
This is all new to me so, I'm a bit overwhelmed..

Hey all, I'm the proud new owner of a Gopro hero11 black!! Wifey gifted it to me for xmas. She really took me by surprise I have to say!!
Unfortunately I now have a bit of a dilemma..this thing is so high tech that I don't own anything that can render the videos!! LOL.
Apparently from what I've found thus far is that even on lowest quality video setting, the videos are still beyond what my windows 10 laptop can render.. what can I do to make the videos usable to me? Low budget is unfortunately my only choice. Ultimately I would like to be able to edit and upload to YT.
This is all new to me so, I'm a bit overwhelmed..
Hey there. We’ll
Probably need more info to help at all. It sounds like you’ve taken some video but you’re unable to play that video locally on your computer? Do you get any errors or does it just play poorly.

Hey there. We’ll
Probably need more info to help at all. It sounds like you’ve taken some video but you’re unable to play that video locally on your computer? Do you get any errors or does it just play poorly.
Well, I tried WMP, windows media player. Unable to play file..downloade the Gopro Quik app. After days of trying to get the app to even see the files on the camera, it finally pulled them into my pc. Then told me my pc is unable to render the video because it doesn't have the specs..
I also transferred the files from sd to desktop and tried VLC player..it shows a still frame with sound, but that's it so far..

Hmm, that's interesting. VLC has pretty much managed to play everything I've thrown at it, so that's strange if even that won't play the files. What is the extension of the video files? And how old is the computer?

What was the file type that the camera is shooting in? You computer should be able to play it , it should just down grade the resolution to what you computer can handle. I don't think there are many computers out there with resolutions higher than 4k. How much ram does you computer have?

Hmm, that's interesting. VLC has pretty much managed to play everything I've thrown at it, so that's strange if even that won't play the files. What is the extension of the video files? And how old is the computer?
I'm not well versed in PC's but I believe it's more a hardware issue than codec with VLC.
This is a 5 yearold(ish) Dell notebook type unit. It's pretty weak I'm guessing..
I'll fire the turd up and see what the actual file extension is.

What was the file type that the camera is shooting in? You computer should be able to play it , it should just down grade the resolution to what you computer can handle. I don't think there are many computers out there with resolutions higher than 4k. How much ram does you computer have?
Not sure, I'll check under the hood. Guessing 2 to 4gb..

Also you might want to post over on this forum with your issue . https://www.goproforums.com/forums/gopro-hero-11.453/
I've been nosing around over there. Impression I got is Gopro is no longer developing or supporting the PC app(Quik).. what I'm thinking is I may need to use a file converter to dumb the files down to my notebooks IQ.. not sure I like giving a third party my files tho.

Not sure, I'll check under the hood. Guessing 2 to 4gb..
If it's about 5 years old, hopefully it has more than that. Task Manager will show you how much RAM you have, maybe in the Performance tab, without needing to dig into the hardware itself.

Sadly, I don't have a GoPro, so can't offer specific feedback, sorry. But I would have expected it to at least play the file, using VLC, even if it had to drop frames, to try and keep up. Short-term, if the GoPro is recording in 4K, for instance, maybe you could turn the resolution down.

And video conversion software should also be able to reduce the resolution for you, of existing files, without as much concern about how much RAM you have. It may take a while, but I'd hope it would still be able to convert it. VLC can convert video files to different formats, at least, and maybe also resolutions.

Techniquely you don't need to use the app.. You can plug the mem chip or the camera into your computer and then use file explorer to find the file and down load it that way give that a shot and see what happens.
I did do that first, the pc wouldn't open the files.
4GB ram..3.88 usable..🤣🤣
So, according to my PC, the file type that I pulled in from the SD card of the Gopro is MP4..

If it's about 5 years old, hopefully it has more than that. Task Manager will show you how much RAM you have, maybe in the Performance tab, without needing to dig into the hardware itself.

Sadly, I don't have a GoPro, so can't offer specific feedback, sorry. But I would have expected it to at least play the file, using VLC, even if it had to drop frames, to try and keep up. Short-term, if the GoPro is recording in 4K, for instance, maybe you could turn the resolution down.

And video conversion software should also be able to reduce the resolution for you, of existing files, without as much concern about how much RAM you have. It may take a while, but I'd hope it would still be able to convert it. VLC can convert video files to different formats, at least, and maybe also resolutions.
I think the hero11 is 5k resolution. If that's really a thing? Idk, all my TVs are 720 except one which is 1080..can't tell the difference myself. I'm old..🤣🤣
Ouch. I don't think a conversion file will work as you mentioned. that would take a lot if ram even to convert the file. Time for a new computer. :ROFLMAO:
You may be right..but just for home videos, I think not..that's alot of rc parts,LOL. But seriously, the wife said same, new PC..but what else I would use it for(nothing) makes it a hard purchase for me..

Will read the comments, cuz I gotta run, but: your phone might be good enough to edit the videos with the GoPro Quik app if you got smth from last two years.
Thanks, I can definitely watch them on the phone with the Quik app, possibly edit as well. I'm bummed that I can't appreciate the HD the gopro has to offer tho. Watching the vids on my crappy phone definitely doesn't satisfy,LOL.
Thanks for the input folks, I do appreciate it.
I'm guessing that a PC upgrade is inevitable if I want to truly utilize what the Hero11 has to offer..and perhaps some Lasik surgery..🤣🤣🍻

The problem is the HEVC, which like you said in another thread is the only encoder type the hero 11 uses for video. Since it's still relatively new, not all programs and hardware can support it.

Check out this article from the gopro page:
https://gopro.com/help/articles/block/hevc

There's a few paragraphs in there about

What if I recorded in an HEVC setting and don't have a compatible device?​

Basically you can download the files to your computer to do a conversion to a file type you can use, or you have to use web based apps.

Newer equipment can do HEVC. Not sure what programs can decode it though.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back