Granite LOWERED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RICH P.

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Granite
I was getting tired of my Granite BLX rolling and flipping on turns so I found a way to lower it since I really don't need the ground clearance. I don't run it in rough terrain too much. The front shocks are shorter than the rear. I had an extra set of front shocks from my wrecked Big Rock and put them on the rear. On the front I repositioned the lower shock mounts more outboard on the lower control arm. I drilled 5/32" holes about 7/8" outboard of the original holes in the lower control arms and moved the shocks to the outer holes. Shorter shocks for the front would probably be better but I will give this a try. Bumper height is now about 7/8" lower front and rear. I have not run it like this yet so I am not sure how its going to work out yet.

I don't know about drilling holes in the controlling arms. This will weaken the arms.
I too wanted to tune my Granite to handle traction roll better. Here's what I learned:
Lower the center of gravity by adjusting the clips on the shocks. A lower cg is going to make the biggest difference.
Use a heavier shock oil on the front shocks to dampen the force in turns.
Add 2 degrees of toe out to the front wheels. This will make the outer wheel face slightly outwards when you turn.
Use tyres with less traction and firm inserts (closed cell foams).

If you want to lower your car, the right way is to remove some of the shock preload spacers so that there is less preload on the shock which will make them a little softer and the truck will sit lower. I did this when I ran the truck at the track, and you can see the results.

My LOWERED Granite BLX and Rustler 4x4 VXL. This drives like a different truck. Much less flipping and rolling and handles much better. The body is in sad shape. It's been through alot. Modified wheelie bar is very durable. Removing shock spacers will not lower it this much.

Attachments

• 20200602_190153.jpg
    20200602_190153.jpg
    215.8 KB · Views: 132
  • 20200602_190234.jpg
    20200602_190234.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 20200602_190320_HDR.jpg
    20200602_190320_HDR.jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 108
My LOWERED Granite BLX and Rustler 4x4 VXL. This drives like a different truck. Much less flipping and rolling and handles much better. The body is in sad shape. It's been through alot. Modified wheelie bar is very durable. Removing shock spacers will not lower it this much.
Another way to lower them which I find is the best way is to put a spacer of some kind on the shock shaft right below the piston so it can't extend all the way down. This lowers it without having to drill into your arms adding potential weakspots and doesn't change your suspension angles. Pic attached to illustrate.

Attachments

• InShot_20200326_225747333.jpg
    InShot_20200326_225747333.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 114
Another way to lower them which I find is the best way is to put a spacer of some kind on the shock shaft right below the piston so it can't extend all the way down. This lowers it without having to drill into your arms adding potential weakspots and doesn't change your suspension angles. Pic attached to illustrate.
I’ve done this on my xmaxx lowered it too!

Thx...where do you find those spacers? Thx

Thx...where do you find those spacers? Thx
Thosr are nylon spacers I had found on Amazon, but you can use anything like rubber tubing, nitro fuel tubing, O-rings, washers, etc from any hardware store.

I put the eBay aluminum shocks on mine and had a lot of problems with roll. Then I adjusted the shocks (more spring load) to get rid of body droop...basically wanted to make the lower A-arms return to parallel to the ground after a bounce. After doing this the truck handles SO MUCH BETTER. I can take hard turns at nearly any speed on the street and the truck doesn’t roll.

I think the problem was from the front outside wheel dipping too much during turns. It will still flip occasionally on rough terrain but I’m really happy with it. It you do it this way vs. lowering, you don’t lose ground clearance.

edit: make sure you have the battery in when you adjust this, so the weight is right.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back