LSD Diff .... Rotation Direction ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big Kid

Very Active Member
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Odd question ... But based on some new Parts & Pieces recently acquired.

My son just gifted me ( Birthday yesterday ) a GEN 5 Typhon chassis. The chassis has Ring gear clearance grooves machined on BOTH sides at F & R ?
Recently also got a F/ R set of the EXB LSD diffentials.

So with the ring & pinon now spiral cut they obviously will have a rotation bias ( Best direction )

HAS ANYTHING CHANGED as to what side of chassis ring rear is placed and set up rotation with these new diffs ?
AND WHY if not ... is the chassis ring gear clearance grooved for a flip to other side ?

Thanks crew !

thumbnail.jpg

Last edited:
The diff case is symmetrical so they can be installed front or rear. The ring gear teeth are always oriented on the left side looking at the front of the case for spiral contact in forward direction.

Theoretically you could change to straight cut ring/pinion and flip to right side and reverse motor direction mechanically or on ESC.

The diff case is symmetrical so they can be installed front or rear. The ring gear teeth are always oriented on the left side looking at the front of the case for spiral contact in forward direction.

Theoretically you could change to straight cut ring/pinion and flip to right side and reverse motor direction mechanically or on ESC.
That I understand ... Straight cut gears would load up the same no mater direction ....
concern was that of gear mesh and rotation with the new style spiral cut ring/pinon.

That said, you state LEFT side as viewed from front / cover side of diff cases being the same as OEM side for the straight cut gear diffs ?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back