Lube on external diff gears?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blxer

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Hey, y'all!
We all know how much of a pain it is to remove the transmission housing from our vehicles. So with that in mind, how often is it necessary to grease the outside of the diff and surrounding gears?
Thanks in advance....

Good question! I have heard a lot of people who bash regularly changing shock oil every 2~4 months and replacing every 6~10 months would be a transmission rebuild.

I have heard that white lithium grease is good for the outside gears and transmission gears... personally if i were to grease the spur and pinion i would only use a small amount of lithium tho and nothing else.
The transmission gears i have heard a mix of lithium grease and dabs of black grease help the gears.

Then the diff. I'm pretty sure you shouldn't substitute diff oil. I asked my lhs guy if i should use marine grease like i do in my 18t he laughed. He said it would be an open diff if i did that. It would be a lack of resistance from the diff if i use any kind of grease instead of the oil because somehow the liquid diff fluid has more resistance than the sticky solid marine grease. ? :/

Anyway. White lithium grease is what your looking for. But im sure there are different products as well

Thanks, @Darren Wes.
I have some green, Lucas oil grease. I used it when I filled my diff with diff oil. Was just hoping I didn't need to tear into the trans, more than once a month! :)

I've been in this hobby for about a 1 1/2 years now, and what I've learned is that there is not one standard answer, but a lot of good "rules of thumb". When winter hits, that is when I will take my RC's apart and re-grease everything and replace any worn out parts (mostly bearings). So may answer is once a year, or sooner if something breaks and you have to get to it anyway.

are you talking about just the diff? or the diff cups on either end or the dogbone? also i have never oiled or done anything to the spur gear area as far as lube goes. should i be? i figure if i lube it that the dust/gravel and whatnot will stick to it because its exposed just making a gritty mess.

You can lube your diff cups/dogbones with a dry wax lube such as trakpower krytech. It lubricates but does not attract dust. It's also used on bicycle chains.

I don't lube the spur/pinion. I don't think it needs it, but I guess you could use the dry wax lubricant as well. Just don't get it on the slipper pad.

Inside the diff you should use silicone diff fluid. I use team associated brand.

On the exterior of the diff and on the transmission gears I use white lithium grease. Can be found at home depot.

Hope this helps.

I've heard or dry wax for my quadcoptors. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks!

When they replaced my diff (twice) under warranty they have filled it with molybendium (sp?) black grease. I spoke with Arrma distributor and they said it's about the same as running a really high viscosity silicone oil just means the diff will virtually be a locker. I used same grease on the transmission gears and use the white ceramic grease everywhere else.

I use Tamiya greases as that's what I have for my other cars. Used to use castrol hb grease on dogbone ends and cups in my tamiyas but probably attract too much dirt on an off-roader

You can lube your diff cups/dogbones with a dry wax lube such as trakpower krytech. It lubricates but does not attract dust. It's also used on bicycle chains.

I don't lube the spur/pinion. I don't think it needs it, but I guess you could use the dry wax lubricant as well. Just don't get it on the slipper pad.

Inside the diff you should use silicone diff fluid. I use team associated brand.

On the exterior of the diff and on the transmission gears I use white lithium grease. Can be found at home depot.

Hope this helps.
Hey there. What exactly do you lube on the exterior of the diff. I pulled out my front diff from my Kraton and it and the gearbox housing was covering in grease. I filled the diff with 30K silicone fluid. Before I put it back in the housing do I smear grease all over the exterior of the diff, spur and housing and stick back in??
Thanks

I got in the habit of every time I take the cover off a differential (NOT open up the diff itself) I inspect the grease to ensure A) it's not dry (which means I am leaking) or B) the grease isn't full of dirt (which means a hole is letting too much dirt in) - and then I ALWAYS add a dab of lithium grease - https://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80345-White-Lithium-Grease/dp/B000HBNV58

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back