Lube on pinion and gear? Also -unleveled pinion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayFalco

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Hi!

Do you guys use lube/grease on the pinion/gear or anything else, or nothing? Cleaned mine and just want to know if, and what I should put on it.
A bonus question: seems like the pinion is not totally in level with the big gear (maybe 0,5mm elevated), is that a problem, and if so - how do i correct that?

Thanks guys!

D611F6D9-BF99-4072-A3B0-34D167C7AB8C.png

56974E64-D111-41FE-BB93-010342D35E20.jpeg

Solution
No lube on the spur or pinion, you don't want any sort of lubricant anywhere near the slipper pads.

Iirc the pinion is wider than the spur so it won't be level.
No lube on the spur or pinion, you don't want any sort of lubricant anywhere near the slipper pads.

Iirc the pinion is wider than the spur so it won't be level.

Solution
Thanks for the answer!
OK. I thought of that as well. Allthough i did put some wd40 on the gears teeths to get some dirt and rust of with a brush.
Hope it doesn’t get in the slipper pads then :-/
Im new at this and learn by trying. worst case i have to buy new slipper pads. I guess i will notice if it has leaked in there.

Edit: looked at it now and there is no visual traces from the WD40, everything seems dry and dandy so hopefully its not ruined. /learning by doing.

Last edited:
Any lube or grease on the spur/pinion will attract dirt/dust/sand and act like a abrasive cutting agent.

ahh. thanks, good to know. I’ve seen folks on youtube lubing hell out of it so thats why i wondered
Yeah, not a good idea, some would use chap stick, a waxy substance, but will attract dirt just like grease.

Back