Granite LVC at full throttle

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Haymaker

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Granite
Granite blx goes into limp mode after 50yrds. LVC doesn't kick in unless I hit full throttle. Batteries fully charged. I can turn it off and on and run it for another 10min. I've read that the savox servo could be draining it, but this is basically straight line run with fresh battery (3s reaction 5000mah)

I did use ec5 to xt60 adaptors. I even had one fail at the solder point. They ran fine for months on those adaptors flawlessly before that. Sadly the problem persists with just esc5 connections and no adaptors. Do lipos fail like nicad batteries when maximum load is applied? I haven't counted the cycles but I've used them regularly since January.

Does your charger measure internal resistance? One or more of the cells may have elevated IR which will lead to larger voltage drops when pulling high currents.

Does your charger measure internal resistance? One or more of the cells may have elevated IR which will lead to larger voltage drops when pulling high currents.
This is what I was thinking, if it is an older pack. Battery just can't supply the amps at WOT, so the voltage drops, and LVC kicks in.

So horizon responded quickly with a brand new esc. I bought a good quality 50c 5200, and swapped out a new motor. I picked up a venom cell tester. The limp mode kicks in at 3.8 Volts pretty much across the board. Same deal usually on a full throttle run. I'm going to swap the servo next.

20201115_090644.jpg

So... I think I figured it out. I was able to get my granite in action. So basically it came down to maintenance. I was not charging my lipos properly. I assumed charging them with the balance plug in was concidered balance charging (dumb mistake). So with a couple cycles I was able to balance out the batteries (mostly). I attempted some individual cell balancing as well.
Then there was maintenance neglected on the vehicle. I opened every sealed bearing, cleaned and repacked. I also cleaned out my diffs and swapped the oil. Some of my bearings (rubber sealed from Jim's) were locked solid. So all this combined I believe drew too much power and killed improperly balanced lipos. I learned a lot and the diffs weren't as scary as I thought. Glad to have my truck back!

No, I was wrong again. It was the blx100 esc. That would be the 3rd not working out of package. I'm done. I changed the ESC and it's running great.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back