LVC Cutoff

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arrmadillo

Too Fast Too Tough For Roadkill
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock 4x4
  2. Granite
  3. Kraton 6s
  4. Kraton 4s
  5. Outcast 4s
  6. Outcast 6s
  7. Vorteks
  8. Voltage
I have the new Kraton and Outcast and wondering what LVC is set at. Think maby 3.4. Have a Traxxas Rustler with velineon system that LVC is set at 3.3 according to customer tech.

These 2 numbers seem low to me. I just purchased a few buzzer alarms and wonder does anyone on here run them. Don't want them flooping around to damage balance wires

Read that people velcro these somewhere secure. What would be a safer more
20190414_203801.jpg
realistic number to set these alarms at. Not comfortable at 3.3 or 3.4, I was thinking more like 3.7-3.8

Says BLX185 is set at 3.2v per cell so yeah that's pretty low. I would set set at 3.5 or 3.6 but 3.7-3.8 would put you at storage charge. If you don't plan to use the pack for awhile after a run set it to 3.7-3.8. So it's up to you and personal choice.

3.4 is the lowest I feel safely going. 3.4v lvc usually gives you a resting voltage of 3.5-3.6v on the battery providing you stop when the vehicle slows down instead of waiting for it to stop.

I just got an alarm myself. According to an email response I received from Danny, the support guy at SMC:
I recommend you start at 3.5v if possible. If not then using an external Lipo alarm on the packs balance connector is a good idea.

I just slapped mine to the inside of my chassis with double sticky tape where it would reach the balance plug on my battery.

Although stock setting is 3.2, I've never hit lvc where the batteries showed lower than 3.7. Occasionally, one cell might be down around 3.5, but I've never had them show even close to the claim of 3.2.

Although stock setting is 3.2, I've never hit lvc where the batteries showed lower than 3.7. Occasionally, one cell might be down around 3.5, but I've never had them show even close to the claim of 3.2.
Voltage sag, the resting voltage will always be higher. No matter what I did with my Summit my batteries were always at 3.6v resting.

Well thanks everyone, I guess what needs to be done is run all 3 of these rigs and let the batts cool after LVC and see what the voltage is. If its too close to the 3.2-3.3 numbers I'll run the alarms.

It would be nice if esc's could be adjustable or not set so low to wreck your packs.

Well thanks everyone, I guess what needs to be done is run all 3 of these rigs and let the batts cool after LVC and see what the voltage is. If its too close to the 3.2-3.3 numbers I'll run the alarms.

It would be nice if esc's could be adjustable or not set so low to wreck your packs.
You won't wreck your packs if you go to 3.2 or 3.3. It's just not a safe point to leave them sitting at. At that point, you would need to full or storage charge, depending on when you plan to use them next.

Sounds like a plan to me. Like @slick2500 said voltage sag (voltage under load) will make the lipo alarm go off you let go of the trigger the pack rests the lipo alarm doesn't beep anymore. A esc LVC works a little different it almost seems to account for voltage sag and doesn't cut out right away even though the pack may drop below LVC for a second or two under load. It won't hurt to run a lipo alarm and see if it dips below 3.2 for even a second while under load. Voltage sag may differ from brand and age of pack resting voltage also.

You won't wreck your packs if you go to 3.2 or 3.3. It's just not a safe point to leave them sitting at. At that point, you would need to full or storage charge, depending on when you plan to use them next.
Before I started using LiPo Batts 2yr ago I researched it after learning the hazards they bring. Not having the experience to back it up but my protocol is as follows:
Always balance charge
Always store, charge and travel in a lipo safety bag. Only comes out of the bag and into car, bash, then back in bag.
Always balance charge or storage charge at least 2 hours after use. Not sooner.
Always "storage charge" when it'll be 2 plus days before next use (thankfully a rair circumstance).
Always inspect Lipo after use for punctures or other damage.
These are what I practice with Lipos solely based on what I've read. If anyone has corrections or additional safety suggestions please share.

Ok guys, I got it on the 3.2-3.3 thing. Won't freak on this, just have to see where they're at after running. I always balance charge.

See that someone else started a thread on this subject around the time I started this. I didn't see it or know what catagory it was posted. See that Notorious J commented on it just now from my alerts.

I just got back to RC and have 3 new lipos and want them to last. My 1st experience with them was around 2006. Places sold them but info on caring for them was thin. I wasn't checking voltage, storage charging, leaving voltage in them to the next week. The info was basically how to charge them, using correct charger, balance charge, lipo sack. No one recommended buzzers or voltage checkers when u bought them. It's a wonder how our click lipos lasted as long as they did and no one had any serious issues.

Before I started using LiPo Batts 2yr ago I researched it after learning the hazards they bring. Not having the experience to back it up but my protocol is as follows:
Always balance charge
Always store, charge and travel in a lipo safety bag. Only comes out of the bag and into car, bash, then back in bag.
Always balance charge or storage charge at least 2 hours after use. Not sooner.
Always "storage charge" when it'll be 2 plus days before next use (thankfully a rair circumstance).
Always inspect Lipo after use for punctures or other damage.
These are what I practice with Lipos solely based on what I've read. If anyone has corrections or additional safety suggestions please share.

Not being a smart ass, just new and curious... what’s the reason behind waiting a minimum of 2 hours before recharging or storage charging?

Don't know about the 2 hour thing but you want your battery to cool off before you recharge. If I had to guess why wait 2 hours would be to give the battery chemistry some time to stabilize to a normal state.

Last edited:
When we were at my bil's house- my nephews were hot lapping their cars in the yard/street.

We would put the batteries into the garage beer freezer for a little while to cool them down before charging as the kids were getting them pretty hot. Worked very well.

Not being a smart ass, just new and curious... what’s the reason behind waiting a minimum of 2 hours before recharging or storage charging?
The 2 hours is about what it takes for me to get the batt back to a charger. Finish bash+pack up+drive home+grab a snack+"play" with the wife+another snack=2 hours. The main point is to let the battery cool and stabilize before recharging.

The 2 hours is about what it takes for me to get the batt back to a charger. Finish bash+pack up+drive home+grab a snack+"play" with the wife+another snack=2 hours. The main point is to let the battery cool and stabilize before recharging.

Gotcha, I always make sure to let it cool down. I just wasn’t sure if there was some specific science behind waiting at least 2 hours.

For what it's worth all 6 cells of my Turnigy HD were showing under 3.4V when I hooked the battery upto the charger a couple of hours after my run today. I stopped driving and switched the car off right after it slowed down.

For what it's worth all 6 cells of my Turnigy HD were showing under 3.4V when I hooked the battery upto the charger a couple of hours after my run today. I stopped driving and switched the car off right after it slowed down.
That sounds about right as LVC is set at 3.2 on these rigs. Set a little low IMO.

I have one ordered too, then i saw this Video, he made a led connected to the lipo alarm on a rc boat, maybe it's a handy tip for Arrma cars as well.
For me just starting in rc, i wondered how do you know when to switch a battery without getting issues with the lipo.
Anyone build this ? I'm planning once it arrives.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back