M2C 17mm hex extender cross-threaded. FT chassis swap

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parcou

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Hospitality Award
Rig of the Month Winner
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. BigRock
  2. Felony
  3. Fireteam
  4. Granite
  5. Infraction
  6. Kraton EXB
  7. Talion EXB
  8. Typhon TLR
  9. Vorteks
I have never cross-threaded any 12, 14, 17mm wheel nut or hex. M2C has always gone on easy for me.

I was getting ready to change the chassis on my FT, so I removed the wheels. I remember it having a little resistance when I placed the nut on and put on the shelf, but I did not think anything of it.

I am not bashing it today or for while and the same hex and nuts were on all the past runs. Just putting it on the bench to work on it. I have 4 rigs with M2C 17mm extended hex and for the life of me I do not see how I would cross-thread it. When I screwed it on last after cleaning it as I stated above I got a little resistance as it got closer to the wheel, but not when I first threaded it on. It threaded on fine at the start. Frustrated and weird 🤷‍♂️

I was able to save the tire by using a dremel to cut the lug so I could get it off. The entire hex did turn within the wheel a lot of times trying to wrench it off, but I feel the wheel is still OK. Does not look as nice as the other 3 but it should bash... do you think?

Those hex are not cheap will see if I can buy just one, please.

1669677237443.png
1669677250027.png
1669677259903.png
1669677288654.png

Wheel after removal
1669677334380.png
1669677347852.png

I have never cross-threaded any 12, 14, 17mm wheel nut or hex. M2C has always gone on easy for me.

I was getting ready to change the chassis on my FT, so I removed the wheels. I remember it having a little resistance when I placed the nut on and put on the shelf, but I did not think anything of it.

I am not bashing it today or for while and the same hex and nuts were on all the past runs. Just putting it on the bench to work on it. I have 4 rigs with M2C 17mm extended hex and for the life of me I do not see how I would cross-thread it. When I screwed it on last after cleaning it as I stated above I got a little resistance as it got closer to the wheel, but not when I first threaded it on. It threaded on fine at the start. Frustrated and weird 🤷‍♂️

I was able to save the tire by using a dremel to cut the lug so I could get it off. The entire hex did turn within the wheel a lot of times trying to wrench it off, but I feel the wheel is still OK. Does not look as nice as the other 3 but it should bash... do you think?

View attachment 259079View attachment 259080View attachment 259081View attachment 259082

Wheel after removal
View attachment 259083View attachment 259084
Not sure if you know but M2c does sell singles: https://m2cracing.net/shop/shop.php...M-AXLES-SINGLE/p/478044641/category=136127923

Nevertheless, still is a pretty crappy situation.

Thx for the help fam...I made the order and then moved forward with the Mojave chassis swap.

I did use AJJam method. However, I am sure there are other ways just the first I have seen being new to the hobby. It actually worked out well...easy swap. I had one issue due to me. I stripped 3 of the 2mm screws being lazy and not putting the torch to it first. Bonehead move. Having the right extractor tools made the removal easy.

At some point, I will put on the Kraton shock mount towers down the road...

1669697511215.png
1669697524809.png

View attachment 259079View attachment 259080View attachment 259081View attachment 259082

Wheel after removal
View attachment 259083View attachment 259084

If my memory is correct.. I think I recall you had a similar problem with another wheel on another rig... Where you had to complete destroy the rim to get the wheel off? Am I remembering right??

If my memory is correct.. I think I recall you had a similar problem with another wheel on another rig... Where you had to complete destroy the rim to get the wheel off? Am I remembering right??
Good memory Boss!

Kraton EXB was a bad rear bearing and the hub melted around the bearing and also got some of the tire. That one taught me to check the wheel hub bearings more closely after each serious dirt bash!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back