Made a little investment for personal use...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sissupr

Premium Member!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Kraton 4s
Found this Shapeoko in a local classified section for about 40% off new. No shipping. No tax, decided to take a plunge and finally learn something I’ve always been interested in. I like woodworking and have done normal home projects, but I think this could be fun. My 9y is super interested in this kind of stuff, so figured it’s a win win, especially paired up with doing some small RC parts. If this turns out to be a bust, back in my local craigslist without too much loss out of my pocket.

Here’s how I got it a couple weeks ago...

F60E6543-99DC-444B-B3C4-51E8AA8DAE63.jpeg

Now how it sits.

98690F8F-D33D-4ECC-BC3F-04F9597612E9.jpeg

- added a new t-tracks
- added 3/4 birchwood above wasteboard
- built a surrounding on top of my work bench to keep debris relatively enclosed and giving me the ability to add a top and doors if I ever really need it to cut sound at night...
- added led lights

Next
- probably paint it or stain it
- calibrate (square all parts) and run a maintenance on all parts
- ensure flat top is level (mill flat)
- add suck it dust boot and route shopvac hose

- 1st project will be a basic tool and parts holder when working on RC cars

Anyone familiar with this specific CNC or any suggestions/recommendations, please lmk! All this is new. ?

Last edited:
I have always been interested in something like this for making my own carbon chassis or even aluminum. (shock towers motor mounts etc the abilities are endless)
Keep us updated with what you learn!

-Liberty

Those little cnc machines are the greatest thing since sliced bread. So many things you can make with the proper G codes. Good luck .... I’d really like to get one someday myself.

Made a couple of tool trays and work bench top organizers. Nothing crazy for sure for any seasoned CNCer..., but definitely learning as I go.

I want to tackle a RC car tool work stand and make a some couple carbon fiber and aluminum replacement parts when I get a good handle on wood...

116D6D38-FFBB-4A32-ACCB-7CE59FA18EF5.jpeg
99A13C68-F127-4B71-8262-9014B95BBBBC.jpeg

I have an X-Carve, learning to use it is half the fun. Only gets better over time. Great for wood and plastics but if you want to do aluminum you need a better spindle. Wood routers are just to fast.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back