Made my own Rear Mud Guards

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crewchief227

Military Veteran
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Notorious
So, I had some free time, and no real wrenching to do, and I knew those mud guards couldn't be hard to make. They don't need to be of "hobby" grade plastic. All I needed was a template & some plastic. The template took some work, I had found a listing on Ebay that had a flat picture of the RPM ones. I kept scailing and printing till the holes lined up, cut it out exactly with an xacto knife, and held it up to the truck, no-go. Back to the drawing board I just had to bring it in where it met the hinge pin, also bottomed out the suspension while doing this for adequate clearance. Bam had my template.

The plastic? Well as luck would have it I have a ton of cat litter plastic tubs (you know the giant yellow ones), and happened to have two empty ones with black lids. I needed two as there is barely enough plastic to form them without them saying "Tidy Cat" on you car, not cool!?

Got the outline transferred, just flipping the template over for the other side. Used my dremel with a cutting disc, just roughly cutting out the shape. Using a course sanding drum on the dremel I got the shape refined, and used 220 grit sandpaper & a fine hobby file I got them nice and smoothed. Drilled the holes, put in 4 M3x10 button heads and done!

20190618_165928.jpg

Attachments

• 20190618_165936.jpg
    20190618_165936.jpg
    428 KB · Views: 56
So, I had some free time, and no real wrenching to do, and I knew those mud guards couldn't be hard to make. They don't need to be of "hobby" grade plastic. All I needed was a template & some plastic. The template took some work, I had found a listing on Ebay that had a flat picture of the RPM ones. I kept scailing and printing till the holes lined up, cut it out exactly with an xacto knife, and held it up to the truck, no-go. Back to the drawing board I just had to bring it in where it met the hinge pin, also bottomed out the suspension while doing this for adequate clearance. Bam had my template.

The plastic? Well as luck would have it I have a ton of cat litter plastic tubs (you know the giant yellow ones), and happened to have two empty ones with black lids. I needed two as there is barely enough plastic to form them without them saying "Tidy Cat" on you car, not cool!?

Got the outline transferred, just flipping the template over for the other side. Used my dremel with a cutting disc, just roughly cutting out the shape. Using a course sanding drum on the dremel I got the shape refined, and used 220 grit sandpaper & a fine hobby file I got them nice and smoothed. Drilled the holes, put in 4 M3x10 button heads and done!

View attachment 41178
I have those lids too ??

Saw this post and figured I'd add to instead of making a new one even though its old. Here are some custom mud guards I just made out of .080" Kydex V.

20210905_145749[1].jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back