Main input gear breaking

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buckbullock

Fairly New Member
Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hello I've recently purchased the outcast. I can't make it though a battery with out the main input gear in the front breaking teeth. I've replaced the bearings, replaced the diff fluid. Everything seems to be working correctly but it keeps breaking. I'm on the 4th or 5th one in a week. Any suggestions?

Are you talking about the pinion gear or the 50t gear on the diff? I recently got an outcast as well. I ran several packs through the stock 12 tooth on 6s without issue, then I ran a couple of packs with the 16 tooth and I did break a tooth on that one but it was a bit off center and I think I had the mesh a touch too tight. If you are breaking that many I would double check your gear mesh.

It's the input main gear that connects the dog bone to the diff. It's the 10 tooth main gear.

The part number is AR310498 for the gear. It's the one for the front wheel drive that is breaking a well and not the rear.

It's the input main gear that connects the dog bone to the diff. It's the 10 tooth main gear.

The part number is AR310498 for the gear. It's the one for the front wheel drive that is breaking a well and not the rear.
If your breaking that one then you need to do the planetary shims,also when you reinstall the dogbone coupling ,slide it all the way on so there is no play.Also there is a shim that should go on the ring gear side of your diff bearing.Read the Thread Mystery spacer.

Last edited:
How do I know if I need the planetary shims? I don't feel any play in the diff?

image.jpeg
How do I know if I need the planetary shims? I don't feel any play in the diff?
Most likely that its the shim next to the bearing.The shim is not in the manual but looks like the sheild from a bearing,very easy to loose when you take it apart.

Shim it tighter, and your problems will go away. Are you replacing the ring gear as well as the pinion? They should always be replaced as a set.

Attachments

• 14352438_1121223151276698_5803668193849080950_o.jpg
    14352438_1121223151276698_5803668193849080950_o.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 142
Shim it tighter, and your problems will go away. Are you replacing the ring gear as well as the pinion? They should always be replaced as a set.
Just bought some Tekno diff shims same spec. Just wondering if you always use 3 shims front and back. Was planning on trying 2-3 if fitment seems good on Kraton, Outcast, and son's Typhon after breaking front and rear main input gears.

Just bought some Tekno diff shims same spec. Just wondering if you always use 3 shims front and back. Was planning on trying 2-3 if fitment seems good on Kraton, Outcast, and son's Typhon after breaking front and rear main input gears.

The shims pictured above are also Tekno .1mm. Between friends we've got 8 Kratons/Talions in our local group. I've shimmed half of them, including my own two, and I now just default to 3 x .1mm shims front and rear. It starts out a little tight, but settles in nicely after a run.

Can you two me the size of the shim? There is a bunch the are .1mm and thank you everyone for the help!

Can you two me the size of the shim? There is a bunch the are .1mm and thank you everyone for the help!
IMG_20170103_144457291.jpg

The shims pictured above are also Tekno .1mm. Between friends we've got 8 Kratons/Talions in our local group. I've shimmed half of them, including my own two, and I now just default to 3 x .1mm shims front and rear. It starts out a little tight, but settles in nicely after a run.
Thanks for reply. I love wrenching on these rigs, just getting tired of breaking gears.
IMG_20170103_212512876.jpg

That is some serious carnage! Nothing I haven't done a few times as well. Fortunately, I toss all my broken parts so I don't have a constant reminder of why I'm going broke! ;-)
20160317_225241.jpg
2016-03-20 22.26.44-1.jpg

That is some serious carnage! Nothing I haven't done a few times as well. Fortunately, I toss all my broken parts so I don't have a constant reminder of why I'm going broke! ;-)View attachment 5055 View attachment 5056
I feel better now, knowing I'm not alone with the breakages...Lol. Been too lazy to pick through my pile and sort the good from the broken. I here you about the $$$$$. My wife would go ape poop if she wasn't so clueless. Happy bashing. Hopefully better shimming will slow the carnage down some.

Hi, just wanted to share that i joined the club :p

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 73
This is not exactly on point here but it's the best thread I could find. I busted the gearbox on my Arrma Typhon 6S. I've bought a replacement gearbox along with a few other parts that were damaged (direct hits with solid objects). The new gearbox has a metal insert where the main input gear will go and so the main input gear will not fit in the new gearbox. I think I have to disassemble the input gear but I can't seem to get it apart. I guess I can get new MIG parts and try that but it seems like I'm missing something. I really don't think I bought the wrong gearbox - Part# AR310854. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Attachments

• Arrma Typhon 6S Gearbox.jpg
    Arrma Typhon 6S Gearbox.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 56
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back