Outcast main issues with outcast 8s

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put a nut and thread lock on that rod end and it made things worse. Now the damn thing is popping out completely. I contacted Horizon since I'm having issues with this and my reciever took a dump.
View attachment 102070

I was going to do that nut thing but haven't got round to installing them yet..?

Also my AVC seems to only work intermittently at the moment ? on my last run I noticed it wasn't doing anything, yet at the end of the run and on my way back to the carpark it worked fine..!!

I have my new servo to fit, at that point I'll do a complete reset and calibrate to see if that fixes the issue. If that doesn't sort it I'll just swap Tx/Rx and then call warranty ( which in the UK is a horrid process, wish me luck ? )

Damn you Spektrum..?

finally got mine...and first impression is its pretty sick....
I haven't changed a thing yet...just wanna get comfortable with it...
the pinion is fairly loose and noisy...is that normal? slips up and down a bit..... dunno....any advice...don't want to change anything if i don't have to...but will put on the speed gear soon...
cheers fellas...how much fun is this hobby...as a 44 year old man! hah....don't thing there are many of these cars in australia...so im pretty stoked...

I took my Outcast 8s today to play in the dirt. Backfliped it like 6 times at least and jumped it a few times more. My step dad abused it too with a few nose landings and many tumbles. Damage report = bent right front shock shaft, right rear shock shaft, left rear shock eye broke, the bolts on the wing mount broke off, and a battery strap broke off. The chassis is still straight though. I'm running a 21t pinion and stock electronics. Not bad for all the abuse and bad landings. I didn't even know that those parts were broken honestly ?. Oh yeah I left that damn rod in the rear pushed all the way in, put the rod on the upper adjustment of the rear hub and moved the inner part of the rod more out for proper camber. Well it held up today at least after all those high jumps and bad landings and tumbles.
20201002_221300.jpg
20201002_221323.jpg
20201002_221638.jpg

I took my Outcast 8s today to play in the dirt. Backfliped it like 6 times at least and jumped it a few times more. My step dad abused it too with a few nose landings and many tumbles. Damage report = bent right front shock shaft, right rear shock shaft, left rear shock eye broke, the bolts on the wing mount broke off, and a battery strap broke off. The chassis is still straight though. I'm running a 21t pinion and stock electronics. Not bad for all the abuse and bad landings. I didn't even know that those parts were broken honestly ?. Oh yeah I left that damn rod in the rear pushed all the way in, put the rod on the upper adjustment of the rear hub and moved the inner part of the rod more out for proper camber. Well it held up today at least after all those high jumps and bad landings and tumbles. View attachment 102791View attachment 102792View attachment 102793

Go 1/2 the WT shock oil or drill out 2 piston holes.

What could be the reason for shock shafts bending? A lot of people seem to experience this.

I never bend a shock shaft on my X-maxx

What could be the reason for shock shafts bending? A lot of people seem to experience this.

I never bend a shock shaft on my X-maxx

They 100% bend Shafts and break ends because they land harder and faster than the oil can move through the piston holes. The fix is lighter weight oil and OR larger holes in the pistons.

I think it's 30-35 weight oil correct? That would be more affordable than getting m2c shock shafts. If I decide to drill extra holes on the piston. What size drill bit do you use? How many extra holes do I make? Thanks!

Surprisingly I haven't bent any shock shafts yet, but have broke tons of other stuff. I don't blame Arrma, I blame my driving style :p. I posted a video with my run from yesterday over in the outcast running videos thread and it shows the destruction that ensued, including a bent chassis.. oye what a day! https://www.arrmaforum.com/posts/395664/

Surprisingly I haven't bent any shock shafts yet, but have broke tons of other stuff. I don't blame Arrma, I blame my driving style :p. I posted a video with my run from yesterday over in the outcast running videos thread and it shows the destruction that ensued, including a bent chassis.. oye what a day! https://www.arrmaforum.com/posts/395664/
I just ordered a whole bunch of 30wt oil and will be using it on both my K8S and O8S. I haven't bent any shock shafts either on my K8S. But I'm not taking anymore chances ?

So as mentioned above the rod ends pushing in is a regular issue if you land hard on the rear wheel. I haven't tried the teflon tape thing, but one easy temp fix is to move the mounting point on the rear hub to the higher hole, that brings the camber back in line. I think that might put more stress on the turnbuckles, because then I snapped a turnbuckle right off at the end of the treads. I am not the most skilled driver, so some of my breakages are because I tend to send it and don't always land well, but here's the list of things I have broke in 1 month of ownership
  1. rod ends pushed in 3 times
  2. broke turnbuckle
  3. cracked end of rear drive shaft causing dogbone pin to fall out
  4. bend rear drive shaft
  5. bent front drive shaft
  6. broke left front lower arm
  7. broke steering bellcrank assembly (most recent- waiting for parts)
  8. lost rear wheel set screw (please check for tightness when new - I did not check prior to running)
  9. pinion coming loose, lost pinion clip
  10. broke rear wing mount (waiting on parts)
  11. rear of body gets caught up on wing and gets tore up (there is a thread on this where a member put spacers on the wing mount to assist here.)
  12. body is pretty tore up. front shocks hit body and cause tears or poking. I recommend multiple layers of tape or some type of protection on the underside in that area.
I know this seems like a long list, but to be honest these have all been minor issues fixed quickly and easily. This thing is a beast and I drive it like I stole it most of the time. I have only had it less than a month, but I have driven it most days, sometimes multiple times a day, so I have ran it a decent amount.

Parts I would stock:
  1. turnbuckle and rod ends
  2. drive shafts
  3. wing mount
  4. pinion clips
  5. get RPM front arms (optional)
I really love this truck and I think it's actually pretty durable, especially for its size and weight. So far I have not had any diff or gearing issues, I hope i didn't just jinx myself but typing this :)
Drive it like you stole it? Yeah that sounds like an understatement. I just have the 6s outcast but I rarely break anything. Although it’s probably more durable being smaller and lighter. As far as 1/5 scale goes, ive been beating the crap out of my xmaxx 8s for 3 years now and I’ve broken 1 part! Upgraded to the max6 that’s it.

Drive it like you stole it? Yeah that sounds like an understatement. I just have the 6s outcast but I rarely break anything. Although it’s probably more durable being smaller and lighter. As far as 1/5 scale goes, ive been beating the crap out of my xmaxx 8s for 3 years now and I’ve broken 1 part! Upgraded to the max6 that’s it.
lol! yea it probably is an understatement. :p I am getting better at driving, but the more confidence i get the more i try to send it off the biggest thing i can find. Not so smart for keeping my truck running. Right now I'm waiting on a new chassis and a slew of other parts after my last bash. I have posted this vid already but for ease of access in case you're curious how i treat the truck here you go - at the end i give the breakdown of what is broke on camera.

I'm about to get rid of my Outcast 6s and Kraton 6s because I'm tired of them breaking all the time. My Kraton 8s V1.5 and O8S have been way more durable out of the box for me. And I jump all of them about 15ft into the air. Last outing I jumped my K8S a whole bunch of times before I broke something. I only jumped the K6S ONCE (with a whole bunch of upgrades) and the rear bulkhead exploded again on me. It landed on the wing (K8S has had many landings like that with very little damage). ?

Ok, so I drove today with 30wt oil on my K8S. No bent shock shafts, but I noticed that my rear driveshafts bent even more today (gpm 7mm ones) to the point that the pin on the drive cups broke on one of them. Or was it just coincidence? I mean the driveshafts were bent already. Would the lower weight of shock oil bend the driveshafts even faster? I don't know if I want to do this on my Outcast 8s anymore since that vehicle has barely bent the driveshafts ?. I'm getting to the point where I might just sell the K8S and keep my O8S since it's more fun and easier to do backflips with my kind of driving and ramps. And it doesn't bend driveshafts that bad. Just shock shafts ?

Ok, so I drove today with 30wt oil on my K8S. No bent shock shafts, but I noticed that my rear driveshafts bent even more today (gpm 7mm ones) to the point that the pin on the drive cups broke on one of them. Or was it just coincidence? I mean the driveshafts were bent already. Would the lower weight of shock oil bend the driveshafts even faster? I don't know if I want to do this on my Outcast 8s anymore since that vehicle has barely bent the driveshafts ?. I'm getting to the point where I might just sell the K8S and keep my O8S since it's more fun and easier to do backflips with my kind of driving and ramps. And it doesn't bend driveshafts that bad. Just shock shafts ?

Shock oil has nothing to do with drive shafts. There is another thread recently where guys are bending up the GPM ones OR busting the pins too. Seems to be very common with those shafts too almost like they didn't heat treat them properly.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back