Kraton Make my Kraton even more awesome

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BashedNuts04

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
Hi guys, need a little help!

After years of nitro RCing Im finally going electric. Saturday Im picking up a V2 at LHS(got an extra discount after I mentioned that the V3 is arriving soon ;))

I will start with bullit proofing the diffs and put on some extra parts like TBR bumpers, GKA servo mount and Tekno springs(orange).

Busy Saturday ahead, cant wait!!

I will start to run it on 4s, mainly on dirt and sometimes on pavement with a couple nasty dents. Got a question or two -->What is the best choice for my diff and shock oils? Do I need extra parts to fit the Tekno springs? And last but not least, what is the best way to adjust the ride height so you get a higher ground clearance?

Thanks for your input, youre awesome :D
EJ

You can run through the suspension forum and there will be lots of opinions on Shock oil. I used 100,000cst in my center diff, and 50,000 in the front and rear diffs.

The springs are a straight swap.

The ride height should sit so the that arms are level. If you increase the height then you will be adding to the wear and tear on the outdrive cups. There is a droop screw, in the arms that can be adjusted so that the arms do not move past a certain point. But that adjustment is going to slightly change from car to car.

Thanks! Solid info about the wear and tear of outdrive cups when adjusting the height! Still figuring out the dif oils. Red a lot about it and I think I just have to see how it goes. LHC told me that 100K for center is a little high and the back has to be bit higher then the front diff..

I agree on the front being less than the rear, BUT........The center diff being super thick, means there is almost equal power going to the front and rear wheels. Having driven RCs before, you will understand most of this already, but here goes anyway. When you launch, or exit a corner, and slam the throttle, the rear end will sit low, just like a real car. and the front end will lift up a bit. This increases the weight on the rear wheels and lightens up on the front. So now the rear wheels are harder to turn than the front, and the center differential will send more power to the front wheels. So now you have the front wheels spinning like mad, but no weight on them, so they don't offer much for acceleration. Then the front tires start to balloon or stretch out, and the rotational force of the front tires, further lifts the front end off the ground, and now they are spinning like crazy, and offer ZERO for acceleration or traction. By putting 100K in the center you are almost locking the center diff but not quite. Some guys use 500K and some have used silly putty, and I have seen someone here fill the center diff with JB Weld. This way no matter what, the front and rear are receiving equal power almost all the time. Makes for a much better launch and acceleration. However it will now Wheelie, or back flip, if I just slam the throttle, but that is not a big deal if you can control the throttle for a second or 2 at launch. And I haven't even tried to program the ESC for a better power curve at the launch. For a race buggy or truggy, there would be a lot more fine tuning regarding the diff fluid. For the Kraton, I want mad power to the ground at all times. It does make for a slightly larger turning radius, but I'm sliding the corners most of the time anyway. And wheelie's on command, make everyone ooooo and ahhhhhh. Anyway, lots of fun learning.

This should help you out!!!

Attachments

• C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_diff-oil-explained.jpg
    C__Data_Users_DefApps_AppData_INTERNETEXPLORER_Temp_Saved Images_diff-oil-explained.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 168
So over two weeks a proud owner now! What an animal this car is!! Did all the upgrades I mentioned after a test run and really enjoying it so far. Did like 25 packs now and got the right feeling with car. First damage is a little bent in the rear shocktower(shouldnt do those large jumps at a bmx track.. :eek: ) I tried to bend it back but did not got the result I was hoping for....

Do I have to replace the rear shocktower immediately? And what do you guys recommend..Voltage aluminum or go for the carbon fiber or..??

When I bent my Kraton rear tower, I could not get it straight while in the truck. I had to un-install it and go blacksmith on it with a small 2lb sledge.

So over two weeks a proud owner now! What an animal this car is!! Did all the upgrades I mentioned after a test run and really enjoying it so far. Did like 25 packs now and got the right feeling with car. First damage is a little bent in the rear shocktower(shouldnt do those large jumps at a bmx track.. :eek: ) I tried to bend it back but did not got the result I was hoping for....

Do I have to replace the rear shocktower immediately? And what do you guys recommend..Voltage aluminum or go for the carbon fiber or..??

I Just picked up the Voltage shock towers. Lots of people recommend them. Either would probably be ok.

You can take that shock tower off and lay it on your work bench and pound it out with a hammer. That will work for the next few bends and thn the fatigue will cause it to bend more easily each time. The Voltage towers are the strongest aluminum, of any of the aftermarket towers. Carbon fiber is usually used for it's strength to weight ratio, and the guys who use them have not complained yet. I use the Voltage Towers and hey look awesome on the car. While you are on the VOLTAGE site ordering, Do yourself a favor and pick up the Steering Rack too.

Our fine brother here rich posted a limited time coupon code for 10% off at voltage. richduperbash10off That was only a couple days ago, so it probably still works.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back