Talion Making a +70mph basher - Arrma Talion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Mr.Duke That's exactly what I'm looking for!! You get the idea. Is that a hobbywing motor? How does it fit? I'm not sure if it would fit in the Talion, there's only a few mm of space between stock motor and chassis
It's a Hobbywin Max6 / EZRUN 4985 combo
https://www.hobbywingdirect.com/col...l/products/max6-combos?variant=18438418104435

I had to fab my own fan mount to accommodate the larger diameter motor and shim the center diff and motor mount up 3mm to gain the necessary clearance, but it will fit in any of the Arrma 6s vehicles. I've thought about swapping it into my v3 Talion but I kinda want put a long can 8s setup in that one

I've not had good luck with the MAX6. But I'm running a very high gear and a TP motor. The MAX6 does a temp cut down, then power off, very quickly. Now have a Mamba X installed, to try, and a Mamba XLX in the box. The TP motors are expensive, but man, are they ever torque monsters! When I go to pick up my 6S Typhon, after a run, and power cutoff, the GRP's are literally stuck to the pavement! From a standing start, I can make smoke come off the tires! I also have a Leopard motor in a Red Cat Shredder, with a stock 6S BLX ESC, and it does fine. Got that ESC from Jennys for $65.
https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...s-speed-control-talion-senton-typhon-ar106018

I've not had good luck with the MAX6. But I'm running a very high gear and a TP motor. The MAX6 does a temp cut down, then power off, very quickly. Now have a Mamba X installed, to try, and a Mamba XLX in the box. The TP motors are expensive, but man, are they ever torque monsters! When I go to pick up my 6S Typhon, after a run, and power cutoff, the GRP's are literally stuck to the pavement! From a standing start, I can make smoke come off the tires! I also have a Leopard motor in a Red Cat Shredder, with a stock 6S BLX ESC, and it does fine. Got that ESC from Jennys for $65.
https://jennysrc.com/collections/ar...s-speed-control-talion-senton-typhon-ar106018
Bring on the smoke shows!

Well, went out today. Busted 100, 107 to be exact. However it was still climbing when it went nose up, flipped, and did a marvelous 50 yard cart wheel on the pavement. Mamba X is still crying "to hot". Have a couple of larger spurs and a Mamba XLX to fix that problem. Only thing wrong after crash is an elongated steering clevis thing. More to come

I've been running the Hobbywing Max6 / 4985 1650kv combo in my Outcast and it's definitely got the power to push a Talion to 80+mph.
So far I've gone 73.4 on backflips with a 22t and the truck set up for high speed bashing.
https://www.arrmaforum.com/threads/71-4mph-outcast-on-6s.12035/
View attachment 37914

I don't change anything from hard off-road bashing to speed runs.

Temps with two 30mm fans on the motor are in the 140's after a full 6s pack.

My only complaint is that I'm on my 3rd ESC fan in 3 weeks. 1st two broke a single fan blade off after hard landings while bashing.
Working on a permanent fix for that issue.

I have the same combo in my Kraton, it's definitely a beast.
I have gone ~100 km/h with 18t pinion and it has A LOT of torque but I have to cool it down every few minutes and I don't find any heatsink for this thick motor.
what heatsink do you have ?

Thanks for letting me know about this nice fan!
What fan mount do you use?

Just now I see that you made this mount by yourself, looks very solid!
Would you be my hero and sell me one please??

Only done one run so far with 21t pinion on medium-length grass. Haven't changed any diff oil or shimmed the diffs. These tires will not last long.

Good speed, low temps. Pretty much exactly what I was after.

Motor: SSS 4092 2140kv
ESC: Hobbywing Max 6

DSC_3236_zps1ghwkhwy.jpg

DSC_3237_zpsxljwj7gh.jpg

DSC_3238_zpsnv5x9fcc.jpg

DSC_3239_zpsim188ojn.jpg

DSC_3241_zpsr2fcgrev.jpg

DSC_3242_zpslxjjdq49.jpg

After a lot of research I think I've decided on getting the ZTW 1/8 Beast Pro 220A esc, as it's cheap, small and powerful (can handle 220A).

And the Leopard 4092 1730kv motor as it's cheap(ish), big and has a smooth can, so my Yeah Racing heatsink can sit flush with the motor body.

Edit: Just realised the mounting holes on the Leopard are M3, the stock BLX motor is M4. I don't want to start messing around trying to tap some new holes. Back to the drawing board
Go with hobbystar 1730 and gear accordingly

Ok guys I'm bored with this setup now and would like some more speed. I need to go to 8s. This setup has been fun, always ran cool etc but not getting the speed I'm after.

I think I'm going to go for a pair of these as I'm certain they will both fit in the battery tray:

HRB 5000mAh 4S

But now need to change the motor to something bigger and with less kV, was thinking possibly one of these:

SSS 5694 1200kV
Leopard 5892 1200kV

Then I'd need a modified motor mount, the only one I can find is this expensive one. Does anyone know of any others?

Arrma V4 Screw Adjust Motor Mount

Cheeers

Ok guys I'm bored with this setup now and would like some more speed.

Haha.. that didn't take long. Enjoyed the write-up. I have a Talion that I'm looking to upgrade as well, and leaning towards putting the Max6 with 4985 (1650kv) motor which is what brought me to your thread. Mine is stock and we do a lot of bashing around in short grass or parking lots. Looking to get a bit more speed, but also keep the temps under control in the summer. I run SPC Racing 6s batteries in both this and my Nero, which might also get a heart transplant depending on how this goes.

Well, went out today. Busted 100, 107 to be exact. However it was still climbing when it went nose up, flipped, and did a marvelous 50 yard cart wheel on the pavement. Mamba X is still crying "to hot". Have a couple of larger spurs and a Mamba XLX to fix that problem. Only thing wrong after crash is an elongated steering clevis thing. More to comeView attachment 37972
View attachment 37973
View attachment 37974
that's a sick setup! How much clearance do you have between the motor and the rear a-arm? It looks incredibly tight in there.

Last edited:
Ok guys I'm bored with this setup now and would like some more speed. I need to go to 8s. This setup has been fun, always ran cool etc but not getting the speed I'm after.

I think I'm going to go for a pair of these as I'm certain they will both fit in the battery tray:

HRB 5000mAh 4S

But now need to change the motor to something bigger and with less kV, was thinking possibly one of these:

SSS 5694 1200kV
Leopard 5892 1200kV

Then I'd need a modified motor mount, the only one I can find is this expensive one. Does anyone know of any others?

Arrma V4 Screw Adjust Motor Mount

Cheeers
You could try a 50 series motor plate for the stock v4 mount, or look on amazon for 1/5 motor mounts for arrma 6s rigs. i have one on a stretched dual battery mojave. The only problem is it's going to kick the motor up as it moves out. I run my talion with the max6/1730 hobbystar and run 24/46 gearing. You could drop your spur to 46, or look on ebay for the 40/42/44t spur someone has made as well. No idea on the speed on my talion yet, it went into a wheelie on my gravel road and went off into the ditch upside down hahaha. I run mine on the 4s outcast tires as well for the terrain.
Oh and a hobbywing motor mount will fit a 40mm can motor and allow you to run a 50mm fan. I put a 12v 50x20mm fan on mine and it pushes plenty of air on the heat sink. I strap a 3s battery to the top of my 6s pack for it and the max6 fan that is 40x20 or 28, i can't remember at the moment hahaha.

Didn’t read everyone’s reply but wanted to chime in here... sorry if I’m repeating.
running max6 combo 1650kv in my 1/7 scale talion. Before running out of room I was able to achieve 78 w stock katar wheels!
Specs:
6s 5000mah 100c spektrum lipo.
Castle creations in line cap pack
75/500/125 diffs
24/44 gearing
4985sl over-sized heat sink on motor. Motor temps around 120 after beasting!

hope this helps.
AE6793D2-EEEE-48A3-87D7-9C0A251359A3.jpeg
C9DDAD2B-D549-4D07-8EB8-56CF522C11A6.jpeg
099BBDED-5E0B-4749-94A1-E81253F1AEAA.jpeg
7C11AFE7-C73B-4470-A03D-7740C0337484.jpeg
022EF88D-02F2-4678-9B4A-0343A61D2034.jpeg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back