Making that RC money 💸💸💸💸

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When someone wonders why I have a new car again (probably just one they have not seen or customized) I just say other people drive motorcycle as a hobby (speedboat, quad etc) . And that my hobby is a lot cheaper. Gives them a totally different perspective and stops all criticsm and negative comments.

By the way that's a really good excuse / justification (at home) for everybody to get a new project now and then. 🤔

And when some women gives a sarcastic comment about men and their toys I mention in a sympathetic way that a lot of women have sadly lost the art of playing. It's always fun to see that reaction. 😛 🤣 🤣 🤣 Like implicit right there that the fun & kind women would never make such a sarcastic comment...

Yes, there is dignity in beeing able to afford a new car / project
or beeing able to get some upgrade. Don't take that lightly.

Last edited:
They are a lot of fun. Ours kind of came with our house. I cleaned it up and we kept it. Around 8 years ago I made it a little bigger with a skimmer filter system. Heres a pic of mine as it is now. It's a smaller one but good for the spot. If you dig the hole yourself it's not too expensive. The expense is mostly in the pumps, filter and electric to run them. Mine just has one pump so it's not too bad. Fish and plants can get costly too.

View attachment 149219
That super nice. I have a real nice reef tank so I know how expensive pumps and filter system can run. Soon as I find a house to buy I more then likely put one in. Ur looks really nice man. Here's pic of my reef

cameringo_20210423_185037.jpg

That super nice. I have a real nice reef tank so I know how expensive pumps and filter system can run. Soon as I find a house to buy I more then likely put one in. Ur looks really nice man. Here's pic of my reef

View attachment 149283
Beautiful, that did not happen overnight.

I was into saltwater for 15 years straight, 225 gallon, 110, 90, 2 small 30g quarantine tanks. Tremendous amounts of work, monthly water changes, boxes of salt mix. Sharks, angels, tangs, whole works. Only reason got out was had to move and didn't go back.

Beautiful, that did not happen overnight.
Thanks man🤗🤗. I have had it up maybe going 4 to 5 years.
I was into saltwater for 15 years straight, 225 gallon, 110, 90, 2 small 30g quarantine tanks. Tremendous amounts of work, monthly water changes, boxes of salt mix. Sharks, angels, tangs, whole works. Only reason got out was had to move and didn't go back.
That's super cool I wish I lived in a bigger place I would have 1 a bigger tank and 2 more then 1 tank lol. But yea I just moved a little over a year and it sucks a$$ moving so I get it. But i bet that was sweet having sharks!!!!

Thanks man🤗🤗. I have had it up maybe going 4 to 5 years.

That's super cool I wish I lived in a bigger place I would have 1 a bigger tank and 2 more then 1 tank lol. But yea I just moved a little over a year and it sucks a$$ moving so I get it. But i bet that was sweet having sharks!!!!
Yeah, the sharks were a big attraction with friends and family. They would eat all the smaller fish so had to keep them well fed. They continuously swim and hunt at night when the lights are down.

It was a nightmare breaking down everything, I had to sell some fish and gave away many more. When I settled into another place, just couldn't go there again. Still have the 110 long and all my coral, but the maintenance makes me think twice setting it up.

Do you have an indoor tank/pond for the koi during winter?
As long as the pond does not freeze solid and there’s a hole in the ice the fish are fine. The hole let’s out ammonia from fish waste. I use a couple bucket heaters from a farm store to keep holes in the ice. I lose one now and then but it’s unusual. As long as the plants don’t freeze solid they make it too. Just move the pots to the deepest part for the winter. I only turn the pump off in the coldest months. The plants around it just come back, they are perennial or re seeders.

I don't know what it is, but it's a cool shot!
Yeah, the sharks were a big attraction with friends and family. They would eat all the smaller fish so had to keep them well fed. They continuously swim and hunt at night when the lights are down.

It was a nightmare breaking down everything, I had to sell some fish and gave away many more. When I settled into another place, just couldn't go there again. Still have the 110 long and all my coral, but the maintenance makes me think twice setting it up.
How does the coral stay alive, I assume you have it in water?

Last edited:
I don't know what it is, but it's a cool shot!

How does the coral stay alive, I assume you have it in water?
Since it's not a reef tank the coral is dead. It's frowned upon today harvesting live coral to be bleached out for aquarium use, but all my pieces are from the early 80s when it was still accepted. Now days they have fake coral that looks pretty good or you can use live rock. Here's a shot of a couple pieces.
20210607_081934.jpg

Last edited:
Since it's not a reef tank the coral is dead. It's frowned upon today harvesting live coral to be bleached out for aquarium use, but all my pieces are from the early 80s when it was still accepted. Now days they have fake coral that looks pretty good or you can use live rock. Here's a shot of a couple pieces.
View attachment 150696

View attachment 150696
These would been some nice peaces. But know you still buy coral. Everything in my reef is as real as it gets. This hobby has come so far form the 80s it pretty easy no

These would been some nice peaces. But know you still buy coral. Everything in my reef is as real as it gets. This hobby has come so far form the 80s it pretty easy no
Yeah I have a lot of coral pieces, had 3 large tanks. I guess you can still buy bleached (dead) coral, but depends where you live I guess. Most people here use live rock though. Dead coral is expensive these days I would imagine. It is frowned upon raping coral reefs for it today but know it still goes on.

Yes I started in the 80s to about 2000 or so, it has come a long way, know a couple people with reef tanks today.

I guess it's pretty easy if you know what you're doing, but having fish and reef are two different things. Seen people set up salt fish tanks just to fail because of ick.

View attachment 150696
Oh right, I didn't know that's what they did, do you leave it white in the tank?

Oh right, I didn't know that's what they did, do you leave it white in the tank?
All the pieces of coral are dead and lie on the floor in a spare bedroom. When in the tank I have white, blue, and red pieces to add some color, along with purple and pink shells etc. They stay that way but get algae on them from the lighting. Different species of fish peck and feed on the algae to keep things clean.

All the pieces of coral are dead and lie on the floor in a spare bedroom. When in the tank I have white, blue, and red pieces to add some color, along with purple and pink shells etc. They stay that way but get algae on them from the lighting. Different species of fish peck and feed on the algae to keep things clean.
Wow that's pretty cool mate! I find it fascinating, and I'm very impressed by the people who can maintain this level of commitment, well done for doing it for so long. At least RC cars can be left along for weeks, months without any dramas.

Wow that's pretty cool mate! I find it fascinating, and I'm very impressed by the people who can maintain this level of commitment, well done for doing it for so long. At least RC cars can be left along for weeks, months without any dramas.
Thanks, large fish tanks are memorizing, you can just sit down, watch, and feel the stress of the day disappear. That's why you see so many fish tanks in hospitals. I've had people come over just to watch the fish especially at feeding time. Watching reef fish feed on live brine shrimp is soothing and very cool.

Thanks, large fish tanks are memorizing, you can just sit down, watch, and feel the stress of the day disappear. That's why you see so many fish tanks in hospitals. I've had people come over just to watch the fish especially at feeding time. Watching reef fish feed on live brine shrimp is soothing and very cool.
Sounds lovely, it sure would be pretty special to watch. Great to chat mate, hope you're doing really well?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back