Infraction Making the Delta Plastiks Ford FC100 214+ mph body even better

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could you vacuum form a sheet of Lexan over a plaster mold in theory (i know thats not the purpose of this particular thread)? Have you tried it before, was it successful?

If you ONLY knew...
I've been to his workshop , yeah he's done that process before.

My mind was Blown Up from what I saw with my own two eyeballs..
Fresh Off The Boat Reaction GIF

-He's accomplish a whole lot in that little shop of his.

If you ONLY knew...
I've been to his workshop , yeah he's done that process before.

My mind was Blown Up from what I saw with my own two eyeballs..
Fresh Off The Boat Reaction GIF

-He's accomplish a whole lot in that little shop of his.
Mr Koder will never be the same again because of what he saw 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Mr Koder will never be the same again because of what he saw 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Dramatization 👍🤣🤣

Could you vacuum form a sheet of Lexan over a plaster mold in theory (i know thats not the purpose of this particular thread)? Have you tried it before, was it successful?

Yes but nothing very large. Getting enough heat into the plastic has been a challenge so far.
These are plaster covered in filler primer, wet sanded to 1000 grit, then waxed and polished to help the plastic not stick.

NosesCapture.JPG

Modified nose Capture2.JPG

Yes but nothing very large. Getting enough heat into the plastic has been a challenge so far.
These are plaster covered in filler primer, wet sanded to 1000 grit, then waxed and polished to help the plastic not stick.

Dammit, there goes any plans for that then. How have you been heating your plastic. I've watched a few home vacuum forming vids on you tube, and people have been doing anything from sticking in the oven to building dedicated heating units.

Dammit, there goes any plans for that then. How have you been heating your plastic. I've watched a few home vacuum forming vids on you tube, and people have been doing anything from sticking in the oven to building dedicated heating units.

I tried using quartz heating elements and didn't love it. I would probably go with the ones people home build instead.
For these smaller parts I had to still add additional heat with a heat gun.

I did this about a year ago and have no plans of re-visiting so feel free to go after that market if you are interested in it.
One thing I will mention is that you need some hard lines in the plastic and various contours so it becomes rigid. Any flat surfaces just become floppy.

For example the outside edge of the limitless front nose didn't work so well. I had to glue it to the splitter because it was so floppy. The original Limitless part has a nice hard line in the plastic there to help stiffen that side.

1676567989237.png

Thanks for the tips and tricks. I would only be looking at building a one off for myself if it were feasible. But it would be large scale, think xmaxx size.

I'd probably take an existing lexan shell i like, make a plaster mould extend it length and width ways as necessary, then try to vacuum form it.

If im honest if you had that much trouble with it i doubt it would be worth the time and effort for me to attempt it.

Thanks for the tips and tricks. I would only be looking at building a one off for myself if it were feasible. But it would be large scale, think xmaxx size.

I'd probably take an existing lexan shell i like, make a plaster mould extend it length and width ways as necessary, then try to vacuum form it.

If im honest if you had that much trouble with it i doubt it would be worth the time and effort for me to attempt it.
There is certainly a learning curve and lots of frustration when the plastic folds and does not form as you might expect.
The perks is that you can re-create your body shell easily.

Decided to use my lunch break in a constructive way.
If the rear was not extreme before it is now.....
I figure I can pickup a different aluminum shock tower for use with this body and take this rear section to a more extreme level that it deserves to be!!!

Removing the center section further up into the mid section, or in other words starting that slope earlier will help bring it lower to the ground while retaining an angle that will not create airflow seperation/turbulence. Red is the new body cut that takes about 15-20 mm more out of the center.

This was the "new" plan from near the shock tower back:

1676575789474.png

Busted out the angle grinder and rigged up some cardboard with my shop vac in the center to catch the blast:
Measured around 15mm further down at the shock tower (indicated by the silver line). Made the first cut and then went hog wild....

1676575963418.png

1676576006975.png

1676576047803.png

NOW I am happy with this shape and design.
This is more of an uncharted RC territory where I like to find myself ;)

I am basically creating this if you need a visual.... the rear deck comes down to meet the diffuser. The side plates support the wing to generate the downforce needed.

1676576706166.png

Last edited:
Decided to use my lunch break in a constructive way.
If the rear was not extreme before it is now.....
I figure I can pickup a different aluminum shock tower for use with this body and take this rear section to a more extreme level that it deserves to be!!!

Removing the center section further up into the mid section, or in other words starting that slope earlier will help bring it lower to the ground while retaining an angle that will not create airflow seperation/turbulence. Red is the new body cut that takes about 15-20 mm more out of the center.

This was the "new" plan from near the shock tower back:

View attachment 278694

Busted out the angle grinder and rigged up some cardboard with my shop vac in the center to catch the blast:
Measured around 15mm further down at the shock tower (indicated by the silver line). Made the first cut and then went hog wild....

View attachment 278696

View attachment 278697

View attachment 278698

NOW I am happy with this shape and design.
This is more of an uncharted RC territory where I like to find myself ;)

I am basically creating this if you need a visual.... the rear deck comes down to meet the diffuser. The side plates support the wing to generate the downforce needed.

View attachment 278699
Will you have a center support for the wing as well?

Will you have a center support for the wing as well?
Good eye and thanks for calling this out!
Yes, but I decided it will be built into the wing and not the body.
The plan is to 3d print it and have a channel inside the airfoil for a small aluminum angle iron or square tube to fit that will help it resist flexing + the center support.

Last edited:
Good eye and thanks for calling this out!
Yes, but I decided it will be built into the wing and not the body.
The plan is to 3d print it and have a channel inside the airfoil for a small aluminum angle iron or square tube to fit that will help it resist flexing + the center support.
Sweet! I’m sorry if you explained and I don’t understand, but will it brace against just the body? Or will it go inside through the body?

Sweet! I’m sorry if you explained and I don’t understand, but will it brace against just the body? Or will it go inside through the body?
Yeah just brace against the body. Since the body will be composite (fiberglass or carbon fiber) that won't be an issue to do it that way.
If this was going to be a plastic body you would want it to be supported by something connected to the chassis like the shock tower etc...

Is the aerofoil of your rear spoiler going to be a tested documented profile similar to what he attempts to do here in forged carbon
or more of a wing it and see how it turns out affair(pun intended)?

Is the aerofoil of your rear spoiler going to be a tested documented profile similar to what he attempts to do here in forged carbon
or more of a wing it and see how it turns out affair(pun intended)?

Last time I made an airfoil I followed a specific NACA 4 digit airfoil for my 3d print and skinned it in carbon fiber.
I'll do something similar here, but liklely will use fiberglass since I developed a life threatening allergy to epoxy resin due to over exposure.

1676583156262.png

After sanding and making it look pretty:

1676583190368.png

Very nice!!

I look at a lot of these wings that come stock from arrma and the likes, and im sure if you fitted one like you showed above you'd not only get a huge improvement in downforce but probably a reduction in drag compared to the mess that comes out the factory.

Yeah just brace against the body. Since the body will be composite (fiberglass or carbon fiber) that won't be an issue to do it that way.
If this was going to be a plastic body you would want it to be supported by something connected to the chassis like the shock tower etc...
Perfect! I didn’t know, but I was pretty sure lexan wouldn’t be strong enough to make it stable😂
Thanks for the explanation, I’m looking forward to seeing it finished!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back