Infraction Making the Delta Plastiks Ford FC100 214+ mph body even better

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last time I made an airfoil I followed a specific NACA 4 digit airfoil for my 3d print and skinned it in carbon fiber.
I'll do something similar here, but liklely will use fiberglass since I developed a life threatening allergy to epoxy resin due to over exposure.

View attachment 278730

After sanding and making it look pretty:

View attachment 278731
Are you allergic to polyester resin???

Epoxy is toxic AF.

Are you allergic to polyester resin???

Epoxy is toxic AF.
Not that I am aware of. I can work with poly resin without issues so far. Either way have rubber sealed goggles to keep vapors out of my eyes, gloves, and a nice 3m respirator for vapors.

Epoxy is no joke. People feel safer around it because there is minimal odor but man it can mess you up...

Not that I am aware of. I can work with poly resin without issues so far. Either way have rubber sealed goggles to keep vapors out of my eyes, gloves, and a nice 3m respirator for vapors.

Epoxy is no joke. People feel safer around it because there is minimal odor but man it can mess you up...
I used some E6000 glue to reinforce a basher body, and I was not well for hours after that.

I have not gone deep into aero drag in this thread as I have in some others. This still will be high level, but thought I would show some examples of shapes from credible sources and why this shape is so significant!

While I am not going to make this project a full airfoil shape I can do a small amount of this. It has been well proven that a kamm tail shape (think Prius) achieves a significant reduction in drag that can be near the results of a full airfoil shape.

1677006639950.png

In this graphic, we could say the original RC body is the bottom 0.374 and I am shooting for the 0.085 model in the upper middle. This should net a significant amount of drag reduction. If these values translate well we are talking about a potential 2/3 reduction in drag!!! (ground effect will have some impact as these shapes were not tested near a ground plane)

As seen in the posts above I decided to extend the body longer to accommodate a gentle angle to lower the rear deck as it tapers down to the rear of the body. Phase II of this is to reduce the width also. I battled with this because I'll have to change my approach for the wing now (likely a single center fin with an integrated wing).

Initial mock-up measured 20 times to make sure things will be symmetrical:

1677007291840.png

After a rough cut with the 4" angle grinder:

2 cut.PNG

It needs some sanding and touchups, but very happy with the direction that this is heading!!!

3 cut rear.PNG

1677009570803.png

You can tell I am now cut into areas I planned would just be space fillers with the green foam :LOL:

1677006852018.png

Last edited:
I have not gone deep into aero drag in this thread as I have in some others. This still will be high level, but thought I would show some examples of shapes from credible sources and why this shape is so significant!

While I am not going to make this project a full airfoil shape I can do a small amount of this. It has been well proven that a kamm tail shape (think Prius) achieves a significant reduction in drag that can be near the results of a full airfoil shape.

View attachment 280130

In this graphic, we could say the original RC body is the bottom 0.374 and I am shooting for the 0.085 model in the upper middle. This should net a significant amount of drag reduction. If these values translate well we are talking about a potential 2/3 reduction in drag!!! (ground effect will have some impact as these shapes were not tested near a ground plane)

As seen in the posts above I decided to extend the body longer to accommodate a gentle angle to lower the rear deck as it tapers down to the rear of the body. Phase II of this is to reduce the width also. I battled with this because I'll have to change my approach for the wing now (likely a single center fin with an integrated wing).

Initial mock-up measured 20 times to make sure things will be symmetrical:

View attachment 280133

After a rough cut with the 4" angle grinder:

View attachment 280134

It needs some sanding and touchups, but very happy with the direction that this is heading!!!

View attachment 280135

View attachment 280143

You can tell I am now cut into areas I planned would just be space fillers with the green foam :LOL:

View attachment 280131
The 2nd pic here in the airflow diagram is a stock Infraction right?😅

The 2nd pic here in the airflow diagram is a stock Infraction right?😅
LOL almost....
I am still shocked how fast people have gone with that brick shape that has rounded corners.

I have been fighting with the rear getting everything symmetrical. Of course a simple solution was the fix... Made a cardstock template of the side I was happy with and flipped it to trace out the lines for the opposite side.

IMG20230302145442.jpg

After that I got the side angles close to matching.
Now I'm just fighting with one rear corner that breaks off when I start sanding on it.

So close to being ready for primer.

Some shots with the lights low that help fight the reflective white color.
IMG_20230303_225803.jpg

IMG_20230303_233041.jpg

Last edited:
I have been fighting with the rear getting everything symmetrical. Of course a simple solution was the fix... Made a cardstock template of the side I was happy with and flipped it to trace out the lines for the opposite side.

View attachment 282789
After that I got the side angles close to matching.
Now I'm just fighting with one rear corner that breaks off when I start sanding on it.

So close to being ready for primer.

Some shots with the lights low that help fight the reflective white color.
View attachment 282790

View attachment 282791
What would be the plan for fins/ wings. Since the side of the rear has a curve to it I don’t think fins will work on the side

What would be the plan for fins/ wings. Since the side of the rear has a curve to it I don’t think fins will work on the side
This was the large drawback of making the sides curve in.

I'll be running a single fin down the center. I am going to make a wing that rests on the 2 sides and meets the fin in the center to help stabilize it.

Starting to pack up the garage for moving and knew I didn't want to move this sculpture because it would crack and break easily. With little time left I decided it needs to have the mold created and I'll chunk this pile of plaster in the trash.

First step is PVA so the gelcoat won't stick.

Screenshot_2023-05-09-10-42-23-41_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg

Today on my lunch break I applied the chopped strand fiberglass.

IMG_20230511_203226.jpg

I'll give it a few days to fully cure and then cut around it with a angle grinder and pry bar the edges till it pops off the plaster sculpture. I should have used primer on it... Hoping the PVA did it's magic. I applied a ton of it so it should be ok, but the plaster is porous and was absorbing some of it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back