Kraton Making the fastest truggy basher

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjl5590

Reaction score
So, this is my mission to create the fastest truggy I can. Hopefully 80mph but can also be used off-road without changing gearing

Think I've decided on a Truggy roller e.g. Arrma Talion or Kraton.

I was thinking of buying a used Tekno EB48.3 roller, but this can only fit a small motor. Also I currently have an Xray 808 that was going to convert, but decided I want a truggy rather than a converted buggy.

For the ESC I need something powerful, perhaps like EZRUN MAX6 or Traxxas MM2 with extra capacitors (like the Traxxas XO-1 has).

For the motor I need something big, like the Castle 1717, geared up. Or similar sized motor. Was thinking about the Castle 2200 but worried about heat. I'd also need to use special gearing to reach top speed.

For the lipo, any decent 6s 40C 5000mah pack should do. Not sure if XT-90 will be able to handle the current though.

Does anyone have any thoughts? I'm worried that such a large motor will drain the battery quickly. I used to run a HPI Vorza with a Castle 2650 on 6s, and it would last about 25 minutes

The Kraton can fit a 102 motor. But I understand the diffs won't like it.

I don't know about the EB48.3, though.

Won't it be sticking way out the end and possibly hit the a-arm? The stock blx motor is only 74mm if I recall

The speed run guys are putting 102mm motors in the Typhon, but they need to shave a bit off the rear arm. The Kraton has another inch or so room back there.

Won't it be sticking way out the end and possibly hit the a-arm? The stock blx motor is only 74mm if I recall
There is a decent amount of room between the stock motor and the a-arm. LOL you could probably fit a 135mm motor length in there before you would need to worry about the a-arm being in the way.
arrma-kraton-6s-blx-04.jpg

Oh yeah, that's true! I was previously looking at the Castle 1717 motor which is a measly 85mm in length, but has quite a large diameter can size. Not sure what the clearance is with the blx motor, or whether it's already sitting on the chassis.

Also just had a thought that as the chassis kinda tapers at the end, I wouldnt want the second half of the motor to take the impact after a bad jump :/

Last edited:
Bigger motor or not im not sure doing speed runs and off roading with the same gearing is such a good idea. Plus you want to run a 40c battery? Why not something 60c+? Sounds like you'll be making a beautiful cake just to smash it. Id Hate to see a bunch of money go down the drain.

"Sounds like you'll be making a beautiful cake just to smash it"

Figure of speech - meaning to put effort into making something nice just to ruin it. In this case, I think he is implying the monster motor you want will need a much better than 40c battery - so you risk lipo fire with the low C-rated battery.

And I agree.

You know what you need ? You have to talk with the world champion speed with Arrma --> on youtube:
Kenny mph Melanko

What would get smashed?
As jerry-rigged responded theirs many risk involved in your setup, lipo issues being one of them. Id personally run a higher discharge rate with that setup. Stock diffs are not really rated for that much power. You at the very least need to shim them or buy metal diff cups. If its setup for speed runs then climbing hills/bashing* on such a tall gear in my view would cause heat issues between your motor/esc. Bigger cans are obviously better with heat but you might want to consider a gearing that suits both needs and stay at a resonable temp. Or you'll have to run your car for shorter intervals with cool down periods. Maybe uses some heatsinks/fans on your motor as well

Ohh right right lol well I've actually got my eye on a nice 60C Turnigy :)

With a motor you will need to be a +60mph offroad bahser, I would be looking at 90c or better. Turnigy Graphine or SMC Extreme packs, or similar. Also, for that much power, you will need to start to watch the little things too, like what plugs - you may want to plan on something like XT150 or the 6mm Castle plugs right from the start.

Big motors are hungry, make a plan on how to feed them.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back