Malion- Something Different?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RxMonkey

Reaction score
Arrma RC's
  1. Senton 6s
  2. Talion
Hello All,

I had some stuff lying about. I picked up a Kraton roller and thought it was lost in the mail. I bought a Kraton and had a spare roller once it showed up. During the great parts shortage of early 2018 I got a ton of Talion parts to have some spares.

I decided to use the kraton roller, outcast chassis and talion parts to create a short wheelbase Talion, a mini-talion or Malion 6s BLX. I searched on here for SWB talion and didn't see anything. I doubt I'm the first, but I'll post a brief build thread anyhow.

IMG_0750.jpeg

I didn't take a lot of pics during the build. Here is the Kraton front and rear attached to the Outcast chassis. The Talion hubs/knuckles, shocks, shock towers have all been installed. The only real difference I had any trouble with was the rear upper turnbuckles were a good bit shorter on the Talion. Took me a little bit to get it dialed in. I actually borrowed @Spar69! 's Talion for a bit. I got the suspension dialed in and he was unable to break his truck for a short time. Win-win!
IMG_0755.jpeg

Here everything else is installed. Forgive the blx missing it's top. The fan died so i removed the top. A new one is on order but hasn't showed up yet. We'll just "take it easy" until it gets here.

IMG_0748.jpeg

I used a drill bit placed through the motor mount slot to hog out the hole longer for more room for a larger pinion. I apparently can't use a hand drill as accurately as a milling machine but it's clearly within a few thousandths. I then used longer cap head screws with washers to lock the motor down. It's probably not the most secure setup especially for jumping, but it did work fine and allowed me to hit thermal shutdown a couple times.

IMG_0749.jpeg

MMmmMMmmm Beefy! That's a 25T pinion.

IMG_0754.jpeg

I used outcast mounts like stock on the front on both the front and rear here. The rear set point backwards. This has the body covering up the rear tower which I've grown to love as I feel it helps keep the tower from bending.

IMG_0767.jpeg

IMG_0768.jpeg

As far as driving it. Good god it's fast. The gearing is unnecessarily tall. The slightest pull of the throttle feels like it's spooling up to head for 100mph. It handles much like the Talion (no surprise). It's low and lean. It feels super stable at speed. It does turn a bit quicker given the shorter wheelbase. I tried to top it out but my old nemesis physics had other plans... Either the body parachuted or more likely that giant Kraton wing pushed the rear down too much. At high speed, suddenly with no warning it'd stand straight up. I mostly let off the throttle and it'd drop down and coast safely slower. Once, I panicked and hit the brakes. It sent into a tumble and I can't tell you guys how long it cartwheeled. I bet a solid 20-30 seconds. We were laughing ourselves silly at how long it went on.

Overall I think it's fun because it's something unique. It's probably been done, but I've not seen it yet. I can't decide yet if I wanna put the stock Talion chassis on it or not. I do love the Talion. I need to gear it down and spend some time running it, especially off-road to get a feel for it.

Anyhow, that's my rather basic build of a Mini-Talion: Malion

This is such a simple thing to do. I'm amazed that I haven't seen it done yet as well. I also like the fact that the rear tower is cover by the body. I don't know what it is about it but the thing looks really sweet in my opinion. Kind of like a more bad-ass, more off-road capable Typhon. Great job and thanks for the build thread @RxMonkey!

This is such a simple thing to do. I'm amazed that I haven't seen it done yet as well. I also like the fact that the rear tower is cover by the body. I don't know what it is about it but the thing looks really sweet in my opinion. Kind of like a more bad-ass, more off-road capable Typhon. Great job and thanks for the build thread @RxMonkey!

Thanks Chevy! I watched a rich duperbash YouTube video and he said his truggified typhon was his favorite overall. I’m thinking about trying to fit a set of mx2.8’s on it. For now I got 3.8 badlands I plan to run. Gotta gear it down and wait for the esc fans to show up. I’ll post a running video and give feedback on how it works off-road and jumping.

Looks like that guy beats the ABSOLUTE HELL outta that Talion...;) And yeah, I think it feels a bit more "safe" at your house..hehe And superb job on the build, just gotta get that front end to stay on the ground!!!

I would use that big Pinion, on a longer wheelbase chassis, but dang that thing is Bad A$$. OR You could put a wing on the front, using the body posts to mount it. You would have to remove it when you remove the body. You could use a 1/10th or 1/18th scale wing so it would not be wider than the body. Just a thought to keep that front end down on a speed run.

Last edited:
@dpricenator We put that gear on my Talion and I was able to hit 81mph with the Katars ( I seal the holes in my wheels and vent the tires) and man what a rush!

I thought the entire front/rear clip of the talion/kraton/outcast were the same now. Just different springs/shocks. No? Well, aside from body mounts and the center chassis tower thingy the outcast/kraton have.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back