Mamba Monster X combo installed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nero with a 2200 Kv motor and 17t is way too much.

it's most certainly NOT 400a
So an update on that overheating, I was told by Castle that my mesh was too tight as it is different than the stock setup. And as for the 17 tooth pinion, yeah it's a ton....
I'm running the Monster X 2200KV with the 17 tooth pinion and it is a monster...literally, crazy fast. But funnas hell. Haha

I got it. I'm pretty happy with stock motor and esc. I just wish I knew how to tune it for smoother power. Can I adjust the throttle trim? Sorry - I'm only in this hobby for a few months. Need to learn. I have a max 8 combo in my Redcat 1/8 scale and it's always having problems even though I keep it on 4s. That's why I bought the Nero, Kraton and Senton. Enough back and forth to the hobby shop ...

I got it. I'm pretty happy with stock motor and esc. I just wish I knew how to tune it for smoother power. Can I adjust the throttle trim? Sorry - I'm only in this hobby for a few months. Need to learn. I have a max 8 combo in my Redcat 1/8 scale and it's always having problems even though I keep it on 4s. That's why I bought the Nero, Kraton and Senton. Enough back and forth to the hobby shop ...
As far as I know there isn't much you can tune on the stock esc. But I could be wrong. The monster X esc is nice because I can plug it into the computer and make adjustments. Check the manual to see if throttle trim can be adjusted on the transmitter.

Turn the punch setting down,that will make it smooth.

Well there's throttle and steering trim to adjust on the transmitter - I only use those knobs to keep it not moving when idling. I use the steering trim to make sure it goes straight.howcan I make the acceleration less .... insane...?

Well there's throttle and steering trim to adjust on the transmitter - I only use those knobs to keep it not moving when idling. I use the steering trim to make sure it goes straight.howcan I make the acceleration less .... insane...?
Your going to need to program the esc via a computer( Caslte link), then you can really set it up the way you want.

Your going to need to program the esc via a computer( Caslte link), then you can really set it up the way you want.
I believe he has the stock esc, which is not tuneable as far as I know.

This is from the manual!
2016-11-09 17.16.16.jpg
tmp_11366-2016-11-09 17.18.06140903277.jpg

Oh those settings! My bad. I forgot about those because I could never get mine to change and hold the new setting, hence the Monster X setup. I have to send in my esc to Arrma, just haven't gotten around to it.

Oh those settings! My bad. I forgot about those because I could never get mine to change and hold the new setting, hence the Monster X setup. I have to send in my esc to Arrma, just haven't gotten around to it.

Ive actually never tried them, i just remembered reading about being able to adjust the settings. I have the blx200, so i don't think they'll work on any other blx esc models. I hope this helps!

What!? All those new goodies and no video? :D
Hey guys. I finally have a couple videos. I have to set my phone up on a stand to record as I don't have a way to let it record on my head like a go pro... Any suggestions would be great though! Lol.
So they videos aren't perfect but it kind of shows the speed with the monster x combo. I can't give it full throttle because it just wheelies and flips over even with the tbone racing wheelie bar. These are with the 17T pinion; I will be going back to the 15T gear soon as per Castle's recommendation. Hope you all enjoy at least a little. Lol.

What's up all? I have another video for anyone who wants to watch it. The jumps are better than the last videos. Ended up breaking the driveshaft u-joint that connects the center diff and rear diff. So my day ended early. Hope you all enjoy!

have you guys ever data logged with the MMX? I put one in my Nero recently, (love it) and have been data logging while I tweak settings in castle link. Everythings great except the motor temp reading never makes sense. It always displays a maximum temp of like 0 to 1 F and a minimum reading of 55ish F. It almost seems like its inverted celsius??

Yeah I data log all the time? Are you running just the esc with stock motor? Or the MMX combo? I ask because I have been having iasues with my MMX esc going into shutdown every run. I have been in contact with Castle for the last few weeks but haven't even run my nero for a bit bue to broken parts. Has your MMX gone into thermal shutdown? And what gearing are you using. This info could really help he out with my issues!! Thanks.
As far as the temp goes, I believe it is because these are sensorless motors. At least I think that's what Castle told me, but I could be wrong as it's been a while since I asked that question. Whan I talk to Joe again I'll ask.

Yeah I data log all the time? Are you running just the esc with stock motor? Or the MMX combo? I ask because I have been having iasues with my MMX esc going into shutdown every run. I have been in contact with Castle for the last few weeks but haven't even run my nero for a bit bue to broken parts. Has your MMX gone into thermal shutdown? And what gearing are you using. This info could really help he out with my issues!! Thanks.
As far as the temp goes, I believe it is because these are sensorless motors. At least I think that's what Castle told me, but I could be wrong as it's been a while since I asked that question. Whan I talk to Joe again I'll ask.
I'm running stock motor and stock 15/46 gearing. Haven't ever gone into shutdown. I read in the castle link that if your start up power setting is too low it may shutdown so maybe check those settings. I wonder if it is an issue I'm having because it's sensorless.

That's good your not having shutdown issues. It also will hopefully help me trying to figure out this situation with Castle. Yeah my settings on start up are all stock. How many runs/ packs have you put on that setup out of curiosity? And what batteries/ specs are you using? Sorry for the questions, I'm trying to rule troubleshoot so I can come up with answers. Thanks!
If I figure it out I will post here. I will ask Joe from Castle about the temp also.

Last edited:
That's good your not having shutdown issues. It also will hopefully help me trying to figure out this situation with Castle. Yeah my settings on start up are all stock. How many runs/ packs have you put on that setup out of curiosity? And what batteries/ specs are you using? Sorry for the questions, I'm trying to rule troubleshoot so I can come up with answers. Thanks!
If I figure it out I will post here. I will ask Joe from Castle about the temp also.

I've probably done about 6 runs on that setup.
Most of them on two 5500mah 4s 35c floureon batteries that I wired in parallel. Sometimes I'll use two 5500mah 3s 50c floureon packs in series or two 5000mah 2s 50c gensacearespammers hard case packs wired in series. I'd advise changing your startup power to medium or even low (it only affects like a millisecond of driving so you won't notice any loss in power), the timing to the lowest setting, and the lipo shutoff range to 3.4 volts. That set up will at least put the motor in the most efficient space and give you lots of torque which is the more fun than an extra mph of top end.

Well I'm using the same brand batteries, 2 6000mAh 30C Floureon. I will change the options and see what happens. I am also thinking about swaping back in the stock motor and see how it runs with stock MMX settings. It is so weird to me that with the Castle combo setup and the Nero 17T pinion it constantly shuts down. I don't see how the stock esc/ motor can handle more than a MMX combo. Thanks for the response also, I will try it Friday and see what happens.

Well I'm using the same brand batteries, 2 6000mAh 30C Floureon. I will change the options and see what happens. I am also thinking about swaping back in the stock motor and see how it runs with stock MMX settings. It is so weird to me that with the Castle combo setup and the Nero 17T pinion it constantly shuts down. I don't see how the stock esc/ motor can handle more than a MMX combo. Thanks for the response also, I will try it Friday and see what happens.
Yah castle makes great motors but I guess technically the castle mmx combo does use a "smaller" higher kV motor so maybe 2200 is just not low enough for such a heavy truck. I'm tempted to try to find a good like 1600kv motor I think that would be perfect

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back