Mamba Monster X combo installed!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I totally agree with losing 3 or so mph. When driven off road are we really going to notice 3 mph that much?? And let's be honest, do we really need to hit a jump at 65mph? As sweet at that would be, and it would be epic, the chances of breaking all sorts of things is high. Bashing is more tq oriented anyway.
Totally. And I also go to an off-road rc track a lot and it has a lot of jumps and tight turns. Again torque oriented. Plus to further what you said about bashing - I've found to get the most vertical air, it's best to approach at a slower speed and gun it up the jump to get your inertia moving skyward instead of running at them fast and have your inertia mostly be moving forward.

To quote you, totally.. Lol
I only have a small track around here that is meant for much much less powered cars. Else there is a bmx track that I can use if I can sneak on, lol. The bash spot that is in that video I posted recently is my main place. I have a bunch of ramps that I can take, tho the 2 in the video are the most used and largest.. Lol. But again it mainly comes down to torque, not speed necessarily.

I totally agree with losing 3 or so mph. When driven off road are we really going to notice 3 mph that much?? And let's be honest, do we really need to hit a jump at 65mph? As sweet at that would be, and it would be epic, the chances of breaking all sorts of things is high. Bashing is more tq oriented anyway.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind losing 15mph. hah. the power on this thing is serious. I still have been unsuccessful in laying down a speed pass without throwing it on its lid or having a tire fail.

My main issue is smoothness in throttle, and responsiveness. the factory esc feels like a bad drive by wire system. I just don't feel a smooth transition from stopped to full power.

If I upgrade, it's going to be so I have the more control of this thing at slower speeds.

Honestly, I wouldn't mind losing 15mph. hah. the power on this thing is serious. I still have been unsuccessful in laying down a speed pass without throwing it on its lid or having a tire fail.

My main issue is smoothness in throttle, and responsiveness. the factory esc feels like a bad drive by wire system. I just don't feel a smooth transition from stopped to full power.

If I upgrade, it's going to be so I have the more control of this thing at slower speeds.

Yeah for sure. On that note, the MMX esc is really great. It is totally responsive and the tuning features are great. And for a non sensored motor, the esc does a great job of making it smooth off the bat.

Hahah I'm with you on the speed. I'm lucky enough to have close by outdoor places where I can achieve it but it's not really what I do. I was thinking about getting a sensored motor for the reasons you stated but as bic pointed out the ESC upgrade does help a bit with smoothness. So ill try this next plan out since it's inexpensive and go from there.

I tried it again today, a full speed run. I had all the runway necessary and was even using my endpoint adjustment to bump my speed up little by little. I still ended up on my lid. I just want to do it once lol.

The MMX Looks good, but I'm cautious. the problems bic1090 are having seem to me are ESC related, not motor. I'd want an ESC that pushes the power through, but is still waterproof. for the weight of the Nero, we almost need 1/6 scale equipment

Yah I feel ya. I'm surprised of his heat issues I'm staying at like 150-160 4s-6s. Also btw I finally got the info to do my calculations and it looks like a 19t pinion gets you 35 and 52 mph 4s-6s respectively. That's pretty much right where I'd feel like same speed as stock, real world scenario. So that's good news. Now just to install and get temp readings. If they're good that's probably going to be where I'll leave it at.

Yah I feel ya. I'm surprised of his heat issues I'm staying at like 150-160 4s-6s. Also btw I finally got the info to do my calculations and it looks like a 19t pinion gets you 35 and 52 mph 4s-6s respectively. That's pretty much right where I'd feel like same speed as stock, real world scenario. So that's good news. Now just to install and get temp readings. If they're good that's probably going to be where I'll leave it at.
So I did a bunch of calculations and basically a 1500kv with a 19t pinion results in a 5% loss of top speed and a 5% increase in axle torque, with significantly less motor RPM. So motor temp will stay forever cool. ESC temps should remain the same because the same total wattage will be pulled. Might see a small reduction in ESC temps since hard acceleration will require less watts to be pulled but I have no way of calculating that. Just have to take readings and look into maybe a vent hole for the ESC fan if you need to lower ESC temps.

What's up? The issues I am having I believe are because I have overgeared the Castle 2200KV motor and it is putting stress on the esc. Once my new spur gear arrives I am going to try the 13T pinion gear and see what happens. I think that 2200KV is too high for this size truck. Depending on what happens my next run, I have found a new motor and possibly new esc to swap. Going with a Tenshock X802L V2, either 1550 or 1750 KV trim. The esc is up for debate atm as the MMX should be able to run that Tenshock motor, according to Castle, if I have not already messed it up. Either way the new motor is a go.
Don't let my issues drive you away from the MMX esc. It really is awesome and Castle customer support is top notch; Joe Ford has been working with me on the issue. I brought this upon myself by not knowing enough about KV and rc weight and just jumping into it. I didn't do enough research into it, but on the plus side, others can learn from me. Haha.

Last edited:
F
What's up? The issues I am having I believe are because I have overgeared the Castle 2200KV motor and it is putting stress on the esc. Once my new spur gear arrives I am going to try the 13T pinion gear and see what happens. I think that 2200KV is too high for this size truck. Depending on what happens my next run, I have found a new motor and possibly new esc to swap. Going with a Tenshock X802L V2, either 1550 or 1750 KV trim. The esc is up for debate atm as the MMX should be able to run that Tenshock motor, according to Castle, if I have not already messed it up. Either way the new motor is a go.
Don't let my issues drive you away from the MMX esc. It really is awesome and Castle customer support is top notch; Joe Ford has been working with me on the issue. I brought this upon myself by not knowing enough about KV and rc weight and just jumping into it. I didn't do enough research into it, but on the plus side, others can learn from me. Haha.
For Science.

For Science and a reason to spend money I suppose. Haha. It is what it is. Live and learn.

Decided to make a change. I was dissatisfied with the Mamba Monster x fan. Too small and it gets rocks stuck in it since the vents are too small to get the debris out. So I dremeled the fan that came with my castle 1410 1y because it produces tornado winds and I love that it actually has an intelligent case design. Wired it up and love it. Also switched up all my electronics so now everything besides the motor runs off the castle ubec and no longer sending that voltage out of the ESC and having a giant fan has made it so that even on 6s I haven't been able to get my ESC temps over 148. Legit. Oh also that large black mass under the roll cage is the castle Bec. I covered it in a very thick shrink wrap because that exposed capacitor seemed easy to break. And now it's more resistant to water.

Attachments

• IMG_20161207_195045.jpg
    IMG_20161207_195045.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
Good work on the fan man! Glad it stays cool. As for the bec, are you running an external bec then? And the servo and diff brain is running off the external? Thats kinda cool, but what is the purpose if I may ask? Does it help stay cooler?

Good work on the fan man! Glad it stays cool. As for the bec, are you running an external bec then? And the servo and diff brain is running off the external? Thats kinda cool, but what is the purpose if I may ask? Does it help stay cooler?
Yeah external Bec. At first I was running it only to a hitec steering ervo at 7.4 volts and everything else still got power from the ESC at 6v, but then I switched to a waterproof savox servo that only takes 6v so I decided to switch everything to the ubec. It does help keep the ESC cool because a significant enough portion of the ESCs heat comes from the internal Bec having to supply electronics with power.

Huh. That is awful good information to know. I have my bec set to 6v as my savox servo only supports that as well, not to mention the diff brain servos only ise 6v. This may be a way to help myself out. Which external bec did you use? And how many devices can be plugged into it?

Huh. That is awful good information to know. I have my bec set to 6v as my savox servo only supports that as well, not to mention the diff brain servos only ise 6v. This may be a way to help myself out. Which external bec did you use? And how many devices can be plugged into it?
So I used the 10A castle Bec, and then after I got it I noticed they just released a really nice durable waterproof one which I wish I had got instead, just for durability.
This is the one I have:
http://www.castlecreations.com/en/bec-voltage-regulators-4/cc-bec-010-0004-00
This is the new hotness:
http://www.castlecreations.com/en/b...-2-0-waterproof-voltage-regulator-010-0153-00
I don't think there is a limit to what you can connect in terms of quantity of devices, just a limit to total output. Not 100% on that though. But right now it's running steering servo, diff servos, and receiver no issues at all.

So my question now is how did you hook up all those off a single connection? Did you buy a 3 way splitter or something? Something like this?

Attachments

• 31hPx9D2tWL._SY400_.jpg
    31hPx9D2tWL._SY400_.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 48
So my question now is how did you hook up all those off a single connection? Did you buy a 3 way splitter or something? Something like this?
My experience with the Caslte bec:On 6s input it only puts out like 5a with 5mph airflow,and when my Caslte bec went out it sent full voltage to the rx and servo( Caslte Cremations).When using aftermarket highpower servos you can overload the bec( happened to me).

I would have guessed that a Castle 2200KV on 6S will run hot in a Nero Big Rock with the smallest pinion you can possibly fit on it. It will probably do better on 4S and 5S for bashing. You could run a fan but the ESC may get a little hot also on 6S. It's ok for a speed run or a short run then a cool down session. Try the Mamba Monster X with a 1340KV Leopard 4092/4292, 19 or 20 tooth about...if it will fit. That motor is 92mm long. I'm not sure it will fit in a Nero ??? 6S trucks should run 1350KV or a little lower They put these motors made for 4S in these trucks stock. 2000KV to 2250KV. Those are for steady 4S but can do a speed run on 6S. If you want to push a 2000 2250 KV on the hot side....all your electronics start to get toasty. I like to run 6S Run low KV, gear for the speed that doesn't blow the tires off....just under it.

Last edited:
Yeah it def runs hot. The esc constantly goes into thermal shutdown. I just bash with it ao constantly on and off throttle.
I came from a nitro tmaxx, had no rc for couple years then into the Nero. So the learning curve has been a bit steep in the wallet. Lol. If I had known more about electric ec's and KV's and what not I prob would not be in this mess. I'm dropping to a 6 pole 1550 or 1750 KV motor soon and possible changing esc if it's fried.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back